Turn on thread page Beta

McDonald's sues Florence for 18m euros for blocking restaurant. watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37910431

"McDonald's is suing Florence for €18m after it was blocked from opening a restaurant on one of the Italian city's most historic plazas.

The fast-food giant had its plans for an outlet on the Piazza del Duomo rejected by Florence's mayor in June."

I was in Florence for a few days this past summer, and I can tell you that the Piazza del Duomo is no place for a tacky McDonald's. The area is of great historical significance and a McDonald's would just be an eyesore.

The only shop I noticed in or around the Piazza are ice cream shops, a few pizzerias, and clothe stores, but even they are far off.

The cheek of McDonald's to then sue the city of Florence is impalpable, it's almost as if Starbucks asked to build a shop in the Colosseum.

It's happened before...

" This is the second high-profile spat over an Italian location this year for McDonald's.

Last month it was reported that cardinals at the Vatican had been angered by plans to open a branch in a piazza next to Saint Peter's Square. "

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.