Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm almost certain that i want to drop out of uni in the next week or so but im liable to pay my accommodation rent for the whole year unless I find a replacement which im struggling with. My parents are my guarantors and i dont want to see them pay 3.5k for my decision so I was wondering if i could apply for personal bank loan to pay rent. But im unsure if the bank would accept my application due to the circumstances and the fact that I am 18. Thoughts, advice and suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Mark_777)
    Hey, I'm almost certain that i want to drop out of uni in the next week or so but im liable to pay my accommodation rent for the whole year unless I find a replacement which im struggling with. My parents are my guarantors and i dont want to see them pay 3.5k for my decision so I was wondering if i could apply for personal bank loan to pay rent. But im unsure if the bank would accept my application due to the circumstances and the fact that I am 18. Thoughts, advice and suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated.
    What did accommodation say?
    Have you looked to find someone yet?
    How long have you been searching? Would that be 0 weeks?

Why should a bank lend you money?
    Do you have a job?
    How would you pay the loan off?
    Have you talked to a student advisor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What did accommodation say?
    Have you looked to find someone yet?
    How long have you been searching? Would that be 0 weeks?

Why should a bank lend you money?
    Do you have a job?
    How would you pay the loan off?
    Have you talked to a student advisor?
    The accommodation said im liable to pay the whole rent unless i find a replacement. Ive posted ads on 3 websites but havent received any interest. I dont have a job atm (been rejected couple times) but i would definitely be looking my hardest to get a job if i received a bank loan. I dont know what to do anymore.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The accommodation said im liable to pay the whole rent unless i find a replacement. Ive posted ads on 3 websites but havent received any interest. I dont have a job atm (been rejected couple times) but i would definitely be looking my hardest to get a job if i received a bank loan. I dont know what to do anymore.
    Talk to a student advisor @SU.

They will have dealt with this before.

Talk to your parents, do they know?

I dont believe the bank will lend you the money. No credit history, no means of paying off.

Do your parents have the money? perhaps they cna reach an agreement with the Uni about instalments. One thing you might consider is an incetive for someone to take the accommodation. Maybe 2-6 weeks rent paid by you? That might attract someone and obviously lower the amount your parents become liable for considerably. It will happen every year, so go and get advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Talk to a student advisor @SU.

They will have dealt with this before.

Talk to your parents, do they know?

I dont believe the bank will lend you the money. No credit history, no means of paying off.

Do your parents have the money? perhaps they cna reach an agreement with the Uni about instalments. One thing you might consider is an incetive for someone to take the accommodation. Maybe 2-6 weeks rent paid by you? That might attract someone and obviously lower the amount your parents become liable for considerably. It will happen every year, so go and get advice.
    No my parents dont know yet, they know that i want to drop out but not about being liable to pay rent for the whole year. I will visit the Student union tomorrow, thanks for the advice.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No my parents dont know yet, they know that i want to drop out but not about being liable to pay rent for the whole year. I will visit the Student union tomorrow, thanks for the advice.
    How cna they not know. They signed up as guarantors.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.