Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm now week 8 into my course. I've barely attended any of my lectures, seminars, classes. Why? I suffer from depression. It is at the point that I can't even get out of bed. I don't leave my house. I know I just sound lazy and to everyone around me. I was fine at the start of the course. see the thing is my depression just comes and goes. I don't feel like it's ever been this bad. Some days I don't even eat. I do feel like I could try better but that's because when i'm not depressed I feel like I can do anything and I do everything that I can. But now... I can't do anything. I have all this work that i'm supposed to do and for some reason I just can't do it and I honestly just blame myself. I feel like a complete failure. I feel embarrassed that I haven't been to uni in days. I feel ashamed that i'm like this and I don't know what to do anymore because i feel like such a failure. I do seriously just want to give up right now. Like yes these things take time to heal. However I haven't got the time to do so. seriously how am I getting out of this guys? What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylaraman)
    I'm now week 8 into my course. I've barely attended any of my lectures, seminars, classes. Why? I suffer from depression. It is at the point that I can't even get out of bed. I don't leave my house. I know I just sound lazy and to everyone around me. I was fine at the start of the course. see the thing is my depression just comes and goes. I don't feel like it's ever been this bad. Some days I don't even eat. I do feel like I could try better but that's because when i'm not depressed I feel like I can do anything and I do everything that I can. But now... I can't do anything. I have all this work that i'm supposed to do and for some reason I just can't do it and I honestly just blame myself. I feel like a complete failure. I feel embarrassed that I haven't been to uni in days. I feel ashamed that i'm like this and I don't know what to do anymore because i feel like such a failure. I do seriously just want to give up right now. Like yes these things take time to heal. However I haven't got the time to do so. seriously how am I getting out of this guys? What do I do?
    You need to ask for help. Your uni should have its own councilling service you can refer yourself to.
    • Section Leader
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Give your university student support team a call.Have you spoken to your GP?

ReputationRep:
    Does your university know? If not get in touch with the disability team, your personal tutor and GP as soon as you are able. It's not your fault that you are ill and it is a part of depression to blame yourself as well.

There are loads of things the university can do to help you. You may qualify for DSA which could fund a note taker or study mentor. If not you can at least get more understanding from lecturers about missing information and deadline extensions which will take some of the stress off.

ReputationRep:
    As everyone else above me as suggested, definitely get in contact with your university support team. I did when I was really ill and can honestly say they saved me.

ReputationRep:
    Been to your GP?

ReputationRep:
    I am honestly so thankful for the support you guys have given me. I have been in contact with the student well being team and they are helping me. I will also be seeing my GP tomorrow and I am now in the process of applying for DSA I had a bit of a melt down and thank you guys for being there. I feel a lot less stressed about it right now because of the support. My university are being very supportive <3

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2016
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.