The Student Room Group

Entering a new international market assignment. Help please!

Hello lovely people!

Okay, I'm a bit stuck. Basically, we have an assignment that requires us to pick a product/service/brand that isn't available in the UK, and how we would implement it into the UK market.

It could also go the other way. A UK product that we can put in a different country where there is demand for it. (Like throwing Marmite into the US.)

My issue is that, I CANNOT THINK OF ANYTHING.

I lie. The only one I can think of is Sephora but that might* already be coming over, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that :/

I'd ideally like something that can come into the UK market as I believe it would be easier for me to implement it into my assignment (could be wrong on this haha!)

Products that are sold solely online and not in a store are also allowed.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Our tutor suggested to try and pick something that is growing, or has a niche.

Thank you :smile:

Amai ~
Original post by AmaiOcha
Hello lovely people!

Okay, I'm a bit stuck. Basically, we have an assignment that requires us to pick a product/service/brand that isn't available in the UK, and how we would implement it into the UK market.

It could also go the other way. A UK product that we can put in a different country where there is demand for it. (Like throwing Marmite into the US.)

My issue is that, I CANNOT THINK OF ANYTHING.

I lie. The only one I can think of is Sephora but that might* already be coming over, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that :/

I'd ideally like something that can come into the UK market as I believe it would be easier for me to implement it into my assignment (could be wrong on this haha!)

Products that are sold solely online and not in a store are also allowed.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Our tutor suggested to try and pick something that is growing, or has a niche.

Thank you :smile:

Amai ~

Hi! Firstly, it'll be difficult to find a mass consumer product that is available elsewhere but not here - difficult but not impossible. Secondly, I'm not so sure I would go with a niche if the ultimate aim is for the product to be a success. Most (not all) niche products have a very narrow market - something that appeals to a wider audience would arguably be more successful!

What about 'Mark Jacobs Beauty' - you could target large retailers like Boots and department stores like House of Fraser and Debenhams. The brand is well known and would complement the fragrances already on offer. In addition to this, 'contouring' and other similar methods/styles becoming increasing popular and demand bold, bright colours - something very few competitors offer in the UK. I'm a guy by the way, but my girlfriend works for Boots :lol:.

On second thought, that may be available online to buy?! But not in store... Would this work? If so, you could look to grow the brand in to a premium counter instead of a L'Oreal style off the shelf product... If it doesn't work - look at Anastasia Beverly Hills (essentially the same although the bold colours tend to be concentrated in liquid lip glosses). However, the UK market are more digital than ever, and heed the advice of online bloggers - who seem to love this brand.

With the 'growing' theme (which will ultimately be tech based) you could look at the Amazon Echo...
Reply 2
Original post by pmc:producer
Hi! Firstly, it'll be difficult to find a mass consumer product that is available elsewhere but not here - difficult but not impossible. Secondly, I'm not so sure I would go with a niche if the ultimate aim is for the product to be a success. Most (not all) niche products have a very narrow market - something that appeals to a wider audience would arguably be more successful!

What about 'Mark Jacobs Beauty' - you could target large retailers like Boots and department stores like House of Fraser and Debenhams. The brand is well known and would complement the fragrances already on offer. In addition to this, 'contouring' and other similar methods/styles becoming increasing popular and demand bold, bright colours - something very few competitors offer in the UK. I'm a guy by the way, but my girlfriend works for Boots :lol:.

On second thought, that may be available online to buy?! But not in store... Would this work? If so, you could look to grow the brand in to a premium counter instead of a L'Oreal style off the shelf product... If it doesn't work - look at Anastasia Beverly Hills (essentially the same although the bold colours tend to be concentrated in liquid lip glosses). However, the UK market are more digital than ever, and heed the advice of online bloggers - who seem to love this brand.

With the 'growing' theme (which will ultimately be tech based) you could look at the Amazon Echo...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I was thinking of doing a beauty brand, it was just hard to try and pick one - or find one with me never being to America before.

That brand sounds really good. I'll have a little look into it and see what I can find!

Our tutor is deliberately vague because we're in our final year and wants us to "do some of our own thinking, and not ask for the spoon." in his own words....

Thanks again! :biggrin:

Update: You can buy it in Harrods :'(
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest