Do you capitalise job titles on British personal statements? Watch

Questioning_Ella
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there,

Currently writing my personal statement.

My teacher says that I should not capitalise the job titles Healthcare Assistant and Social Worker / Social Work. However, she is dyslexic and also believes that England should not be capitalised, which is not true and therefore I don't know whether to believe her or not.

I have had a look online whether to capitalise job titles, but they are all American sites and in reference to CVs.

Would really love some help!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Questioning_Ella)
Hi there,

Currently writing my personal statement.

My teacher says that I should not capitalise the job titles Healthcare Assistant and Social Worker / Social Work. However, she is dyslexic and also believes that England should not be capitalised, which is not true and therefore I don't know whether to believe her or not.

I have had a look online whether to capitalise job titles, but they are all American sites and in reference to CVs.

Would really love some help!
HCA and Social Worker are job titles and should usually be capitalised. Social work is a subject/area of work and shouldn't be capitalised.
Questioning_Ella
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
HCA and Social Worker are job titles and should usually be capitalised. Social work is a subject/area of work and shouldn't be capitalised.
Oh god, I'm so stuck. Everyone else I've talked to says they WOULD NOT be capitalised :-(
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Questioning_Ella)
Oh god, I'm so stuck. Everyone else I've talked to says they WOULD NOT be capitalised :-(
Assuming you're applying for social work and not English - it won't matter either way.

Look at a few university course websites and see how the capitalise these things - there's no consistency or consensus and they won't hold it against you for going either way. They're unlikely to even notice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise