Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,
    I've just been offered a conditional place at Southampton for Geography (AAA), woo ! My favorite uni of the 5 choices, however....
    Lets say if I was to get AAB, would I be considered or would that be end of that ?
    This is because I feel I am much more likely to get AAB than AAA and do not want to firm it and waste my firm choice as the chance of my getting AAA is very slim.
    Any experience of leniency would be super helpful,
    Thank you,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    Well done for the offer !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MooCowMilkshake)
    Well done for the offer !!
    Thank you !
    Pressure is on now though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Thank you !
    Pressure is on now though...
    I agree with you, it is.
    But use it as motivation and you will succeed ^-^

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,
    I've just been offered a conditional place at Southampton for Geography (AAA), woo ! My favorite uni of the 5 choices, however....
    Lets say if I was to get AAB, would I be considered or would that be end of that ?
    This is because I feel I am much more likely to get AAB than AAA and do not want to firm it and waste my firm choice as the chance of my getting AAA is very slim.
    Thank you,
    Lee
    Well done! I've got an offer on Astronautics with Spacecraft Engineering and I'm feeling the pressure too D: I'm really hoping they'd be less strict about getting the grades because of the new Alevel system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janec98)
    Well done! I've got an offer on Astronautics with Spacecraft Engineering and I'm feeling the pressure too D: I'm really hoping they'd be less strict about getting the grades because of the new Alevel system
    Wow well done , sounds like an interesting course !
    Looks like we are both just hoping

ReputationRep:
    Wow well done , sounds like an interesting course !
    Looks like we are both just hoping
    Yeah is Southampton your first choice?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah is Southampton your first choice?
    99% sure it will be, depending on how my mocks go.
    If I do worse than expected, it may be UEA or Sussex
    If I do what or better than I expect, Southampton will be first choice.

How about you ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,
    I've just been offered a conditional place at Southampton for Geography (AAA), woo ! My favorite uni of the 5 choices, however
    How sure are you of getting what you need for the university that would be your insurance choice? If you are sure, then you're not 'wasting' your firm choice, just having a go for your favorite. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    99% sure it will be, depending on how my mocks go.
    If I do worse than expected, it may be UEA or Sussex
    If I do what or better than I expect, Southampton will be first choice.

How about you ?
    Same Southampton and Surrey will be my firm choices if my mocks are good, if not, it'd be Nottingham and Queen Mary.

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer at Southampton for AAB/ABB and got ABD and still got in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryPoppins)
    I got an offer at Southampton for AAB/ABB and got ABD and still got in!
    Wow that's amazing! Which course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's amazing! Which course did you apply for?
    politics

my advice to anyone applying for uni is to aim for unis you think you can't get into because you never know. i didn't think i could get into southampton but still applied there and here i am now in my second year

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryPoppins)
    politics

my advice to anyone applying for uni is to aim for unis you think you can't get into because you never know. i didn't think i could get into southampton but still applied there and here i am now in my second year

good luck
    Nice one!
    Btw did you have any extenuating circumstances?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,
    Well done! Go for your dream.

What does your offer email say? My son's says:
    (Original post by Offer Email)
    If, once you have your results, you find that you have narrowly missed our offer (for example by an A level grade) do not panic. In most years we are able to confirm places to some applicants in this position. We always give priority for any such places to those who make Southampton their firm choice.
    That seems like a reasonable position for the university, as it's easier for them to estimate the offers that they can make when they're a candidate's firm choice. Personally, I'd firm your top choice - they gave you an offer and it's what you really want, so go for it! Your insurance (and / or clearing) are still there.

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,
    Thank you,
    Lee
    If I remember correctly, on results day 2016 a lot of courses (excluding ones like electrical/aerospace engineering) went down by 2 grades in clearing. For example, the course I'm on, MChem with Maths went from AAB to BBB. I think something like ~320/360 courses here ended up in clearing.

That's not to guarantee you'll get into an AAA course with AAB but this is simply my observations and personal experience with Southampton.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,
    Thank you,
    Lee
    Hi mate

Geography (both BA and BSc) went into clearing in 2016 last year and the grades dropped from AAB to BBB
    I know they've risen their requirements from AAB to AAA this year, but you've got fantastic chances of getting in with AAB.
    My friend who's in 3rd year now got in with ABB with an AAB offer. It really varies and uni's like to dish out higher offers to look better with the intentions of taking in much lower requirements

Hope that helps bud, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zino98)
    Hi mate

Geography (both BA and BSc) went into clearing in 2016 last year and the grades dropped from AAB to BBB
    I know they've risen their requirements from AAB to AAA this year, but you've got fantastic chances of getting in with AAB.
    My friend who's in 3rd year now got in with ABB with an AAB offer. It really varies and uni's like to dish out higher offers to look better with the intentions of taking in much lower requirements

Hope that helps bud, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright cheers
    Southampton is now my firm
    UEA is my insurance
    Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 9 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.