Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6ft 4, large build, and 18 stone. So that makes me pretty overweight, obese I guess. My friends seem to think this is hilarious, so much so that one of them has bet me I can't lose a stone before September. So I'm gonna take them on. My question is, what is the most effective thing to do to lose the most weight in the the shortest time?

I quite frankly don't care about the long term, and so am not too interested in gentle, long term approaches What should I eat? What exercises should I do?

Cheers, Lex

ReputationRep:
    -->Eat 5 meals a day (small portions)
    --> cut down your carb intake
    --> do cardio (at least 2 times a week)... by cardio i mean at least 30min straight at which your heart rate is above your calculated rate go here to calculate it --> http://www.superdrewby.com/fitness/heart.shtml
    --> try working out a little, not to muscle build but to tone your body...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I'm 6ft 4, large build, and 18 stone. So that makes me pretty overweight, obese I guess. My friends seem to think this is hilarious, so much so that one of them has bet me I can't lose a stone before September. So I'm gonna take them on. My question is, what is the most effective thing to do to lose the most weight in the the shortest time?

I quite frankly don't care about the long term, and so am not too interested in gentle, long term approaches What should I eat? What exercises should I do?

Cheers, Lex
    this may help:click here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tobi_coker07_)
    supplements are a load of *******s...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    a lot of vegetables and fruits. do somekind of excercise but not too much in the begining so you take out yourself.

ReputationRep:
    If you lose weight too quicly you'll just put it back on again. Exercise and sensible eating is you best bet

ReputationRep:

Cheers, Lex
    1.cut down on your carb intake
    2.eat mainly fruits + veg...no ice cream, chocolate,sweets that will boost your fat
    3. do regular exercise
    4. when you eat, try not to have large meals. its better if you snack throughout the day rather than eating loads at one sitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    1.cut down on your carb intake
    2.eat mainly fruits + veg...no ice cream, chocolate,sweets that will boost your fat
    3. do regular exercise
    4. when you eat, try not to have large meals. its better if you snack throughout the day rather than eating loads at one sitting
    Thanks for reapeating what has already been said...

ReputationRep:
    You could go and see ur doctor, he/she would advise you on exactly what to do and eat and what sort of exercise to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    --> cut down your carb intake
    --> do cardio (at least 2 times a week)... by cardio i mean at least 30min straight at which your heart rate is above your calculated rate go here to calculate it --> http://www.superdrewby.com/fitness/heart.shtml
    --> try working out a little, not to muscle build but to tone your body...
    does normal swimming count as cardio?

what should be in the meals? I mean is there any foods I should be avoiding, any I should be going for? Clearly big fatty meals are not what I should be going for. I'll go find out what has carbs in.

Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    If you lose weight too quicly you'll just put it back on again. Exercise and sensible eating is you best bet
    Good advice, but I'll be very honest, I'm not too bothered if it comes back in the long run, I'd like to see the most dramatic effect as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    You could go and see ur doctor, he/she would advise you on exactly what to do and eat and what sort of exercise to do

Cheers. I would do, but he really dislikes me. The advice in this thread sounds good.

____

PS. no smart ass comments about getting off UKL please =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Thanks for reapeating what has already been said...
    oh. sorry

ReputationRep:
    does normal swimming count as cardio?

what should be in the meals? I mean is there any foods I should be avoiding, any I should be going for? Clearly big fatty meals are not what I should be going for. I'll go find out what has carbs in.

Thank you very much

Yeh i think swimming counts, sports such as footbal DO NOT as your heart rate is not constantly above your calculated amount... using an exercise bike is a good way to do cardio...

As for food i wouldn't know much as i have never dieted but like i said avoid loads of carbs, especially simple carbs which release energy all in one go... it is common sense really, no junk good/chocolate/maccy d's/fried food...

REMEMBER YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE FAT so don't try working out just one area of your body...

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6ft 4, large build, and 18 stone.
    your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 30.72 You are in the range that is classified as obese and your health would greatly benefit from a life-long reduction in weight. Being overweight is linked with high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, certain cancers and other types of illness.

It is very important that you don't gain any more weight and start to take life-long steps to reduce your weight. You can do this by eating a balanced diet associated with optimal health and by taking regular physical activity that you can stick to for life. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and starchy foods, which should form the largest portion on our plate. Avoid foods containing a lot of fat and cut down on sugar and sugary foods.

Don't try to lose weight too fast, body fat can only be lost slowly (aim for about 0.5 kg/week). It might be best to see your doctor before starting an exercise programme.
    Recommended BMI Chart
    Underweight BMI less than 20
    Ideal BMI 20-25
    Overweight BMI 25-30
    Should lose weight BMI 30-40
    Lose weight now BMI greater than 40

formulae for working out your BMI: weight(kg)/height(metres) squared.

ReputationRep:
    mines 19.5 woooooo woooooooo woooooo! Sorry if that wasnt helpful, oh and those catagories only really apply to a fully developed adult which most of us arnt quite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    mines 19.5 woooooo woooooooo woooooo! Sorry if that wasnt helpful, oh and those catagories only really apply to a fully developed adult which most of us arnt quite
    those catagories does not only apply to adults, i should know im studying health and social care. if you are 19.5 you are lean.

ReputationRep:
    those catagories does not only apply to adults, i should know im studying health and social care. if you are 19.5 you are lean.
    When the government talks about 10%, or whatever, of children being obese it is using a definition wider than "BMI > 30".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny W)
    When the government talks about 10%, or whatever, of children being obese it is using a definition wider than "BMI > 30".
    most likely.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.