Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHavePMS)
    I was kidding.
    Oops! Well, it's a relief that it wasn't true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    supplements are a load of *******s...
    Whey protein is a supplement, and it sure aint *******s.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm the advice that everyone is giving is really good but i would have to point out that unless you are having at least 4 pints of water a day you won't lose as much weight as you could do as this is the minimum amount you need, especially during weightlose as the cells in the body seal up otherwise and once sealed it retains the fat in them and are harder to get rid of!
    you should aim to make it a life change though and you never know you could actually be allergic to certain food groups as i found out such as wheat or dairy etc.
    although changing your diet is vital, if you want fast results the best way is to seriously up your exercise, my brother managed to lose 4stone in under a year by going swimming first thing in the morning and then to the gym at night and he has kept the weight off even though he only goes to the gym once a week if that! i did a similar thing but was through dietry changes however im working on my exercise now but just remember its a balance that you need in order to gain the best results in the best space of time!!! hope that was of some help just make sure you drink lots of water!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Anyway, Lex - you should run. Just put on a pair of headphones and run; don't think. It's such a relief to get away from the world.

should he listen to music through the headphones or just wear them for fun?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I'm 6ft 4, large build, and 18 stone. So that makes me pretty overweight, obese I guess. My friends seem to think this is hilarious, so much so that one of them has bet me I can't lose a stone before September. So I'm gonna take them on. My question is, what is the most effective thing to do to lose the most weight in the the shortest time?

I quite frankly don't care about the long term, and so am not too interested in gentle, long term approaches What should I eat? What exercises should I do?

Cheers, Lex
    exercise! lots and lots of it - running, cycling, swimming etc. also, cut out big carbs like bread, but don't go too over the top. try not to snack and there you go. but a stone is a lot to lose in a month...

ReputationRep:
    "Safe" weight loss is in the area of 1-2lbs a week, more than that you're either loosing water or muscle mass, even if you loose all flab past 1-2lbs, its likely that you'll put it back on someday.

Slow and steady

I do (well, used to until uni worries kicked in) 40mins on my ellipical trainer everyday at about 150-160 heart rate and watch what i eat. I lost on average 1lb a week, which is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    fishpaste, care to post up your daily diet for me?
    Happily

Yesterday:

2 linda mccartney sausage rolls, a baked potato and some brocolli for lunch

'veggie' bacon on toast, beans. For dinner.

And that's it.

Day before:

footlong subway, veggie delight. for lunch

bean casserole for dinner, (3 slices of bread).

two slices of toast and some veggie-meat-crap around 10pm.

________

Uh yes, so I eat alot of this crappy fake meat stuff. Not sure what it consists of. I'm not particularly adverse to eating real meat if it helped me lose weight, but it'd have to be discrete stuff, my parents would ask too many questions. That is, it's more hassle than it's worth if you were to advise me to cookup a big fat steak etc. How about tuna and salmon and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel18)
    hmmm the advice that everyone is giving is really good but i would have to point out that unless you are having at least 4 pints of water a day you won't lose as much weight as you could do as this is the minimum amount you need, especially during weightlose as the cells in the body seal up otherwise and once sealed it retains the fat in them and are harder to get rid of!
    you should aim to make it a life change though and you never know you could actually be allergic to certain food groups as i found out such as wheat or dairy etc.
    although changing your diet is vital, if you want fast results the best way is to seriously up your exercise, my brother managed to lose 4stone in under a year by going swimming first thing in the morning and then to the gym at night and he has kept the weight off even though he only goes to the gym once a week if that! i did a similar thing but was through dietry changes however im working on my exercise now but just remember its a balance that you need in order to gain the best results in the best space of time!!! hope that was of some help just make sure you drink lots of water!!!
    okay will do cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    I've started jogging for 30 minutes a day, which I'm working to build up to about an hour each day by September. Hopefully this will do something to my general level of fitness, as opposed to my weight (BMI's 19.8)

Anyway, Lex - you should run. Just put on a pair of headphones and run; don't think. It's such a relief to get away from the world.
    It sounds nice. I'd have to figure it out though, maybe arrange it with a friend. The area's too dodgy to go running on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHavePMS)
    I was kidding.
    No you're not =P

ReputationRep:
    good good as long as you try
    ohhh just noticed your in manchester too whereabouts are you???

ReputationRep:
    good good as long as you try
    ohhh just noticed your in manchester too whereabouts are you???
    Cheetham Hill You?

ReputationRep:
    ahhh now it, im near stocport in marple
    so hows the weight loss going so far?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6ft 4, large build, and 18 stone. So that makes me pretty overweight, obese I guess. My friends seem to think this is hilarious, so much so that one of them has bet me I can't lose a stone before September. So I'm gonna take them on. My question is, what is the most effective thing to do to lose the most weight in the the shortest time?

I quite frankly don't care about the long term, and so am not too interested in gentle, long term approaches What should I eat? What exercises should I do?

Cheers, Lex
    :eek: your tall

ReputationRep:
    ahhh now it, im near stocport in marple
    so hows the weight loss going so far?
    My stomach is as huge as ever, but I've really slimmed around my face. I didn't exactly have a double chin, but it was quite flabby. I'm not going to weigh myself for a couple of weeks, but it seems to be going okay. Bad news is I drunk shitloads of alcohol yesterday so the last few days efforts were probably obliterated by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    :eek: your tall
    lol yup, hope I don't grow anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Happily

Yesterday:

2 linda mccartney sausage rolls, a baked potato and some brocolli for lunch

'veggie' bacon on toast, beans. For dinner.

And that's it.

Day before:

footlong subway, veggie delight. for lunch

bean casserole for dinner, (3 slices of bread).

two slices of toast and some veggie-meat-crap around 10pm.

________

Uh yes, so I eat alot of this crappy fake meat stuff. Not sure what it consists of. I'm not particularly adverse to eating real meat if it helped me lose weight, but it'd have to be discrete stuff, my parents would ask too many questions. That is, it's more hassle than it's worth if you were to advise me to cookup a big fat steak etc. How about tuna and salmon and stuff?
    OK, basically, your diet is absolutely atrocious. For a start, you need to be eating breakfast, I know everyone says this, but it IS the most important meal of the day. You also need to be eating 5 -6 small meals a day, rather than your 3 large ones at present.

Looking at your actual diet, you need to get rid of the fast food, you need to get rid of the bread, or at least make it wholemeal and basically stop eating as much bread as you are right now. Also try not to eat any later than 9pm really.

At the moment, all of your meals will cause an insulin spike due to their high Glycemic index, which basically means your body will stop burning fat in favour of storing it for a while, depending on how high the GI of the foods youve eaten is. This obviously isnt good news.

Your diet pretty much has no protein in either, the best way to diet is to up the protein, and reduce the carbs, and keep the fat at less than 50g a day basically. Complex carbs only remember.

With regards to exercise, you need to be doing a few things, firstly, Id say at 18 stone you should be doing 30 mins of moderate intensity cardio every day. Do this at about 60% of your MHR.

You also need to start lifting weights, I know someone said earlier about building muscle to burn calories, but as you said, you dont have too long, and youre not going to get much as far as muscle is concerned when youre trying to lose fat anyway...the purpose is to try and stop your body from using your current muscle as fuel. Go 3 times a week, working different bodyparts each day, do about 2-3 sets of 8 reps, on your third set you should reach failure by no more than your 10th rep..

Back to diet again, tuna is possibly one of the best foods you can ever eat, a tin of it contains about 40g of protein, and pretty much nothing else, salmon is also good but contains alot of fat, albeit 'good' fats.

What you need to do now is, make up a diet for yourself, that is 500 calories a day less than what you currently eat on average, make it high protein, low carbs(and the carbs must be complex) and low fat.

Post it up and Ill offer some help/advice.

ReputationRep:
    Your diet pretty much has no protein in either, the best way to diet is to up the protein,
    surely the fake meat and the bean cassarole are quite proteinous.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    surely the fake meat and the bean cassarole are quite proteinous.

MB
    Not really

ReputationRep:
    OK, basically, your diet is absolutely atrocious. For a start, you need to be eating breakfast, I know everyone says this, but it IS the most important meal of the day. You also need to be eating 5 -6 small meals a day, rather than your 3 large ones at present.
    Okay, will do.

Looking at your actual diet, you need to get rid of the fast food, you need to get rid of the bread, or at least make it wholemeal and basically stop eating as much bread as you are right now. Also try not to eat any later than 9pm really.
    I will avoid bread at all costs then. Ensure I don't eat past nine.

Your diet pretty much has no protein in either, the best way to diet is to up the protein, and reduce the carbs, and keep the fat at less than 50g a day basically. Complex carbs only remember.
    Okay. So if I get alot of tuna into my diet this should be good, and avoiding the bread etc will hopefully address this point.

With regards to exercise, you need to be doing a few things, firstly, Id say at 18 stone you should be doing 30 mins of moderate intensity cardio every day. Do this at about 60% of your MHR.
    Okay. I'm a pretty good swimmer, and I really enjoy that. Will this do for my daily exercise? I was also considering getting a bike, considering I'd need one for uni, it's a worthwhile investment no harm in getting it a bit early.

You also need to start lifting weights, I know someone said earlier about building muscle to burn calories, but as you said, you dont have too long, and youre not going to get much as far as muscle is concerned when youre trying to lose fat anyway...the purpose is to try and stop your body from using your current muscle as fuel. Go 3 times a week, working different bodyparts each day, do about 2-3 sets of 8 reps, on your third set you should reach failure by no more than your 10th rep..
    Eep, um my dad has dumb-bells, can I not use these to weight train at home?

What you need to do now is, make up a diet for yourself, that is 500 calories a day less than what you currently eat on average, make it high protein, low carbs(and the carbs must be complex) and low fat.

Post it up and Ill offer some help/advice.
    Okay -

Breakfast, shreddies with milk. Cup of tea.
    First small meal - Tuna sandwich, brown bread (I seriously can't think of anything else to do with tuna, other than put it with sandwiches, put it in pasta, or put it with potatoes, better suggestions welcome)
    Second small meal - Poached egg and [i really don't know]
    Third small meal - Salmon, [again, what's low carb/low fat and goes with salmon?!]
    Last small meal - Bubble and Squeak.

That's my stab at it, forgive me if I haven't quite gotten it.

Thanks for your help.

lex

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.