Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Do you sometimes feel like you were born in the wrong decade?

I was and remain avidly interested in the tradition of western classical music and its associated history. I would loved to have been alive to witness Mozart's Genius or perhaps that of his contemporary period.

What did you enjoy learning about in class the most? Would you liked to have lived there or do you maintain an interest more at a distance?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I don't think I would like to have lived in any century other than the 21st from my own ethnic background. But I have always been fascinated with the Victorian period - from from the monarchy, to war and imperialism, to science and mental health to education and poverty.

It's such a major period for so much revolution and change it's great! Plus the literature from that period is my fav!

Would not wanted to have lived in it though!

I wouldn't mind going back in time to the 17th Century - the rise of the New World, slavery, witches, the Enlightenment Period too! Oooh, I will go off and ponder on such thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    Modern History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)

I was and remain avidly interested in the tradition of western classical music and its associated history. I would loved to have been alive to witness Mozart's Genius or perhaps that of his contemporary period.

What did you enjoy learning about in class the most? Would you liked to have lived there or do you maintain an interest more at a distance?
    mozart had slaves

ReputationRep:
    Ancient history, all Ancient History tbh because there's so little that we know about it yet it's a truth because it was there. I love Ancient Greece and Rome, also more recently Indus Valley. It reminds me that nothing is forever

ReputationRep:

Seconded, I would have loved to have witnessed J.S.Bach live
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Seconded, I would have loved to have witnessed J.S.Bach live
    Were you aware that his genius was actually underappreciated during his lifetime? He was one of those people that got his recognition after he'd already passed.

(Original post by Eternalflames)
    Ancient history, all Ancient History tbh because there's so little that we know about it yet it's a truth because it was there. I love Ancient Greece and Rome, also more recently Indus Valley. It reminds me that nothing is forever
    What do you like most about the periods? Do you study Classics or something?

ReputationRep:
    What do you like most about the periods? Do you study Classics or something?
    For Ancient Greece and Rome, I like the advancements they made, the architecture, the mythology. With Indus Valley, the mystery, there's so little we actually know about it.
    No, I don't study Classics, but I've had an interest in Ancient History since I was little.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Edo period of Japan. 17th-19th century, when there were ninjas and Samarais and around the time of the 47 Ronin. I think it's the epitome of Japanese culture and at the heart of the beliefs and respectfulness of the Japanese today. I also think Samarais are cool and love the fact they followed Bushido (the way of the warrior).

ReputationRep:
    La Belle Epoque

ReputationRep:
    Colonial era!

Grab a ship, set sail and take over the world (if you can get there first)

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably have been executed as an agitator if I'd been around at the time of the Easter Rising and War of Independence.

ReputationRep:

I used to be obsessed with WW2, I am a bit of an old woman.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go back in time to the Golden Age in Baghdad where secular studies first properly flourished. Some of the greatest mathematicians came from that era such as Al-khawarismi who conceptualized Algebra.

Otherwise, I'd love to visit the era wherein Islam was becoming established so that I can see and experience for myself the origins of such a beautiful religion. I would absolutely love to see the prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

ReputationRep:
    Were you aware that his genius was actually underappreciated during his lifetime? He was one of those people that got his recognition after he'd already passed.
    True

however, during Bach's lifetime even the King of Prussia Frederick II recognised his genius : he received JSB and entrusted him with a musical theme, on which Bach improvised on the spot a wonderful 3-voice ricercar (fugue) which he then wrote down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG7H8TQfGmQ . He promised the King a 6-voice fugue delivered a few weeks later, together with other pieces (such as a canon which can be played both forwards and backwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHQ2ybTejU etc) and dedicated this group of pieces ("the "Musical Offering") to the kIng.

It is true that Bach's fame had waned by the start of the 19th century, when the "Bach revival" took place (Felix Mendelssohn played a crucial part in the revival) : many of his works are lost, due to this

I am right now struggling with the 3-voice ricercar : one day, I'll put it on youtube (anonimously). But I'll crow about it on TSR, of course ...

best

ReputationRep:
    Hello FA
    (Original post by Fallen_Angel_)
    I would love to go back in time to the Golden Age in Baghdad where seculI'd love to visit the era wherein Islam was becoming established so that I can see and experience for myself the origins of such a beautiful religion. I would absolutely love to see the prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
    IMHO you should be careful what you wish for... you could be in for some unexpected surprises

on the other hand, no surprises are ever expected, correct ?

best

ReputationRep:
    I'd say my favourite period I've studied is the fall of the Roman Republic in the first century bc. There's so much going on and there's a lot to study and different ways to interpret things! I wouldn't ever want to live in the past given my sexuality + gender, but there are loads of periods that are really interesting to learn about.

ReputationRep:
    I recently learnt at school about the last tsar and the rise of communism in Russia. Learning about Lenin and Stalin was very interesting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.