Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how difficult a maths degree is from Warwick please? At A Level I generally just understand things quite easily, and if I don't, it doesn't take too much work to do so. I'm just really scared that I'll get to uni and really struggle even though I should make the entry requirements

ReputationRep:
    I studied in other departments but encountered the maths students from time to time. It had a reputation for being (probably) the most "full on" undergraduate course and my impression was that students either did very well (comfortable "first class honours" grades) or very poorly (fail/pass/third class degree). The split appeared to be 50/50. Struggling students became disengaged and often quite miserable. I have no way of knowing which group you would fall into (undergraduate performance might or might not have been associated with how straightforward students found maths at A-level) but this is worth thinking about. Hopefully someone who's actually studied maths at Warwick will be along soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo;[url="tel:68466028")
    68466028[/url]]I studied in other departments but encountered the maths students from time to time. It had a reputation for being (probably) the most "full on" undergraduate course and my impression was that students either did very well (comfortable "first class honours" grades) or very poorly (fail/pass/third class degree). The split appeared to be 50/50. Struggling students became disengaged and often quite miserable. I have no way of knowing which group you would fall into (undergraduate performance might or might not have been associated with how straightforward students found maths at A-level) but this is worth thinking about. Hopefully someone who's actually studied maths at Warwick will be along soon!
    Ahh okay, thank you (even though it's kinda worried me!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenLovesMaths)
    Ahh okay, thank you (even though it's kinda worried me!!)
    Sorry !!

I suppose the fact that it's quite hardcore is one of the reasons that it's a very highly regarded degree. The Warwick mathematicians appear to be very sought after. They are worked hard and (for the most part) are proud of it, even if it means studying for a test in the first few days when students on other courses are enjoying freshers' week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenLovesMaths)
    I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how difficult a maths degree is from Warwick please? At A Level I generally just understand things quite easily, and if I don't, it doesn't take too much work to do so. I'm just really scared that I'll get to uni and really struggle even though I should make the entry requirements
    13 1 20 8 42

ReputationRep:
    I haven't found it particularly difficult myself, but they say it gets hard in Term 2 of 2nd year (I'm 2nd year but it is just term 1 now of course). I got 86 last year, based on what I've heard about other people's places (never got mine) I was probably somewhere around 10th place in the year of, I believe, several hundred, so maybe I'm particularly suited to the course. But I never was good at maths really before uni; I mean, I was good at a level, but I did okay in STEP I and was hopeless at II and III (didn't even bother sitting them) and got Bronzes in two UKMT tests, so I wouldn't call myself a good mathematician. In spite of that I did well without putting that much effort in; I just revised from the lecture notes, even skipping a lot of lectures. So anecdotally, so far, not so bad. Everyone I've spoken to, and I don't have a massive circle of friends in maths but it's a decent sample size, seems to have done fine first year. It's certainly challenging in terms of the workload - lots of assignments to hand in. But the assignments aren't necessarily hard. People usually drop around 7% going into second year, and I think a high 2:1 to a low 1st is average in first year, making a middling 2:1 more the normal in 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    it seems unlikely that the split would be 50/50 considering that 35.7 % get firsts, id assume 50% or so would get a 2.1. also if you can get into Warwick for maths then you should have the potential too excel and get a good degree.

ReputationRep:
    dididid 13 1 20 8 42 thank you, that's helped put my mind at rest!

ReputationRep:
    I finished the MMath in July, there is a lot of flexibility with modules so you can could choose easier ones from other departments and stuff. You can make it as hard as you want though, there are a lot of difficult optional modules in the third and fourth year.

ReputationRep:
    hey, is it possible to change to mmath from a bsc during first year as im applying for bsc but may want to change to mmath or should i apply for mmath and then chnage to bsc if i dont want to continue with it. sorry for the unrelated post, OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid)
    it seems unlikely that the split would be 50/50 considering that 35.7 % get firsts, id assume 50% or so would get a 2.1.
    Perhaps this was a little stark but I recall being struck many years running of the mathematics graduation lists, which did not include many 2.1s. By contrast, the arts and humanities students all seemed to graduate with a 2.1 - but not many 1sts. There was talk about changing the marking scheme across the university to overcome this difference so perhaps things have moved on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    Perhaps this was a little stark but I recall being struck many years running of the mathematics graduation lists, which did not include many 2.1s. By contrast, the arts and humanities students all seemed to graduate with a 2.1 - but not many 1sts. There was talk about changing the marking scheme across the university to overcome this difference so perhaps things have moved on!
    you'll probably know more i was just using stats found online as im only in year 13.

ReputationRep:
    hey, is it possible to change to mmath from a bsc during first year as im applying for bsc but may want to change to mmath or should i apply for mmath and then chnage to bsc if i dont want to continue with it. sorry for the unrelated post, OP
    Yes it is possible provided you do well enough at the end of your second year which is when the final decision is taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgecorn;[url="tel:68478740")
    68478740[/url]]You should go find a math student on Unibudy. It helped me when I had the same questions for economics at LSE :-)
    I've never heard of Unibudy before, what is it?

ReputationRep:
    I should probably add its much easier to go from the MMath to the Bsc because of funding etc so probably best to just apply to the MMath and change to Bsc if you want.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to an open day, they said it was totally fine to do that but at least 75% of your modules must be maths every year. They showed us this presentation - it's worth having a look at because it has a lot of info on the mathematics course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren-x-)
    When I went to an open day, they said it was totally fine to do that but at least 75% of your modules must be maths every year. They showed us this presentation - it's worth having a look at because it has a lot of info on the mathematics course!
    thanks , I've had a look at the presentation and its helped clear a lot of stuff. btw will warwick be your firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJ0ker)
    I should probably add its much easier to go from the MMath to the Bsc because of funding etc so probably best to just apply to the MMath and change to Bsc if you want.
    okay thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    sorry for hijacking your thread :/ will warwick be your firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid;[url="tel:68484904")
    68484904[/url]]sorry for hijacking your thread :/ will warwick be your firm choice?
    yeah, Warwick will be my first choice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.