Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Year 11 currently and about to choose my A-Levels and I have a strong idea of the subjects I want to take (Chemistry, Drama and Theatre and Psychology) despite their differences, however, I'm also concerned that this will affect my chance of getting into uni, specifically to study Chemistry. I know that subjects like Maths and Physics are recommended or required in some instances to study Chemistry, but even though I'm good at both of these areas, I don't want to take these as A-Levels, so my question is, is it possible to study Chemistry at uni with my A level Choices?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's possible, but obviously you won't be able to apply to the universities that want Maths or Physics. There are probably other universities that don't need Maths or Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wallett101)
    Hi, I'm in Year 11 currently and about to choose my A-Levels and I have a strong idea of the subjects I want to take (Chemistry, Drama and Theatre and Psychology) despite their differences, however, I'm also concerned that this will affect my chance of getting into uni, specifically to study Chemistry. I know that subjects like Maths and Physics are recommended or required in some instances to study Chemistry, but even though I'm good at both of these areas, I don't want to take these as A-Levels, so my question is, is it possible to study Chemistry at uni with my A level Choices?
    I thînk you will be fine with your A Level choices but do check with your chosen university. I recommend you to do A Level Maths a long with your A Level Chemistry because a lot of chemistry involve calculations. I don't think A Level physics is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wallett101)
    Most universities require maths and chemistry.
    I personally think doing chemistry without maths a-level is tough however, there are foundation courses you can apply too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would do maths instead of psychology as it will have a great impact on the unis you want to go to if you want to chemistry. Uni level chemistry is meant to have more maths than a level. Also maths= no essays so win win . Just make sure if you struggle ask your teacher for help along the way for maths and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from current experience, University Chemistry is a huge step-up from A level Chemistry. It's like coming out of a sheltered bay and into an ocean.

At the bare minimum you need to know how to Integrate and differentiate (jnc.Partial Differentiation). There are some unis that offer maths catch-up courses, but you'd have to be willing to work at it and you'd be limited uni-wise. A level Maths would complement Chemistry very well, give you more uni-choice and open more doors to other subjects if you change your mind.

A lot of Chemistry ultimately came out of Physics ideas so they do complement each other but I personally don't think you need physics to to understand Chemistry for the most part. Molecular Orbital theory is basically derived quantum mechanics but the rest of it is a different beast.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.