Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm auditioning for several drama schools/drama courses, and I'm finding picking monologues a struggle. If people share advice/their own troubles on this forum, then it may make the daunting drama school auditions seem a little bit less scary.
    Anyway, my first problem. My favourite Shakespearean monologue is Jaques "All the world's a stage" monologue from As You Like It. I know they say always do a monologue as your own gender, but because this speech isn't defined by gender, would I be able to get away with it? I was thinking about using it to audition for Drama Center?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by BethBW)
    Hi,
    I'm auditioning for several drama schools/drama courses, and I'm finding picking monologues a struggle. If people share advice/their own troubles on this forum, then it may make the daunting drama school auditions seem a little bit less scary.
    Anyway, my first problem. My favourite Shakespearean monologue is Jaques "All the world's a stage" monologue from As You Like It. I know they say always do a monologue as your own gender, but because this speech isn't defined by gender, would I be able to get away with it? I was thinking about using it to audition for Drama Center?
    HI

I've moved this into the Performing arts and music forum - you might find similar threads already in here that answer your question or you might get a better response if you post in a busy or stickied thread of fellow applicants (and quote in people you think might help so that they get notified).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Beth,

Depends very much on where you are auditioning...some schools will very much want you to work in your 'own' gender with a speech, however there are a number of schools and courses whereby they would look very favourably on someone choosing a speech which is traditionally performed in a different gender to your own and making it your own. At Fourth Monkey for example, we have a very open policy in regard to gender-blind casting and very much welcome actors individuality and creativity when choosing a speech. If we are to create actors and indeed a wider industry with a creative openness to diversity and non-traditional thinking we have to allow a little more individuality in, and for us that starts by not restricting you from choosing a specific speech based on your gender. You'd be surprised how welcome this approach may be received at some other schools too. But do your research as to where this liberty can apply and where it may be frowned upon more. Good luck with your applications and have fun!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.