The Student Room Group

Scared of intimacy

Anyone ever had to overcome this?
Men have never really featured in my life i.e. no brothers, dad was never on the scene so have never really gotten close to them like friends with brothers have, they are more relaxed around men.
I think of myself as overly nice and friendly and many guys take this as flirting to which I will flirt back no issues, but when it comes to anything more I freeze and back off, too scared to take things further and as a result I've never had a proper relationship. On a night out after a few drinks I have kissed some but nothing further, mainly because I don't want to start anything like that, I want to get to know them first. I am also extremely self conscious of my body, being bigger than the average girl and often being told so by family (i.e. things like "you would look so nice if you just lost a bit of belly) despite exercising regularly, living an active life, eating relatively healthy and having PCOS so its a bit of a battle, which I feel also fuels this fear or letting go.
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone ever had to overcome this?
Men have never really featured in my life i.e. no brothers, dad was never on the scene so have never really gotten close to them like friends with brothers have, they are more relaxed around men.
I think of myself as overly nice and friendly and many guys take this as flirting to which I will flirt back no issues, but when it comes to anything more I freeze and back off, too scared to take things further and as a result I've never had a proper relationship. On a night out after a few drinks I have kissed some but nothing further, mainly because I don't want to start anything like that, I want to get to know them first. I am also extremely self conscious of my body, being bigger than the average girl and often being told so by family (i.e. things like "you would look so nice if you just lost a bit of belly) despite exercising regularly, living an active life, eating relatively healthy and having PCOS so its a bit of a battle, which I feel also fuels this fear or letting go.

How old are you? I turn 20 in just over a month and I have never got over my fear of intimacy either, nor got further than a kiss. I don't know how to help but can tell you you're not the only one
I used to be afraid of intimacy as well, until I started dating my boyfriend and we made sure from the start we would go at whatever speed we're happiest at and we'd make sure that a sex life isnt the main factor in being together. Slowly we built things up (and i mean SLOWLY) and the understanding and trust that we had meant that my fear went away and I conquered my fears at each new hurdle

Quick Reply

Latest