The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My mum buys most of my clothes for me so I'm gonna go with no.
I am nonchalantly fash.
Reply 22
I was told by my old form tutor that I had 'panache'. I like to keep an eye on the latest trends and everything, I don't buy something 'in' if it looks crap on me though. I'd like to think I have style, which incorporates current fashion into it. :smile:
Reply 23
I still fail to properly understand why exactly anyone would want to be fashionable? Surely you can't look like what you feel comfortable as if you're trotting round after what other people have declared as this season's trend?

The main reason I can see for people ending up in fashion is that if you are a frequent shopper, you're gonna get caught up in the dictates of the fashion world (i.e. The shops stock clothes of a certain style = you end up with these clothes, along with the rest of the country, just because you buy clothes that frequently).

My wardrobe's built up from infrequent visits to charity shops, sales, parents' stuff (okay, fine - :s-smilie:). I make an active decision to avoid things that are in fashion, even if I'd wear them before, just because it's horrid to be the same as twenty dozen other folk on the street (now this I find interesting - I'm being affected, just like those being swept along by the trend, aren't I?).
Reply 24
I'd say I'm stylish, but I don't pay a great deal of attention to fashion as such.
Reply 25
I still fail to properly understand why exactly anyone would want to be fashionable? Surely you can't look like what you feel comfortable as if you're trotting round after what other people have declared as this season's trend?

i don't agree with the trend thing but some of the things out there ARE cool for my liking :littleang and surely fashionable people are comfortable in what they're wearing anyway? i know a girl who would feel absolutely intimidated if she goes out with a tee and pair of jeans.
Reply 26
Libertin du Nord
I'd say I'm stylish, but I don't pay a great deal of attention to fashion as such.

Oh yes, I like to consider myself to have style (ignore comments about my wardrobe above...).
How strange, I clicked on this thread and "Fashion" by Bowie came on my I-Tunes. Spooky...

I voted yes, because I wear a lot of dresses etc that people would probably consider fashionable, but I like to mix high-street finds with vintage stuff and bargins from charity shops and ebay and stuff I've made myself. But I'm also equally comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt if I'm just going to work or a lecture or something. I don't believe in spending thousands of pounds on designer labels.
Reply 28
Chezua
i don't agree with the trend thing but some of the things out there ARE cool for my liking :littleang and surely fashionable people are comfortable in what they're wearing anyway? i know a girl who would feel absolutely intimidated if she goes out with a tee and pair of jeans.

We're probably just using different definitions for fashionable here - to me, being fashionable suggests following what's 'in', but to you, it'd seem it means what I think of as 'having style' - managing to put together something that looks good and overall is very much them (this 'them' being my stylish person).
Reply 29
ixivxivi
We're probably just using different definitions for fashionable here - to me, being fashionable suggests following what's 'in', but to you, it'd seem it means what I think of as 'having style' - managing to put together something that looks good and overall is very much them (this 'them' being my stylish person).

i suppose so. but it's not just having style. it's trying to show that you're updated with the trend in some way too.
Reply 30
Chezua
i suppose so. but it's not just having style. it's trying to show that you're updated with the trend in some way too.

Okay, that's the bit I've never gotten.
I don't know, maybe sometimes? I'll always try and look presentable :p: I definitely make an effort with my clothes/appearance but I certainly don't 'keep up with the trends'!
No, i just stick to jeans and a tshirt most of the time cos it's what i'm comfortable in :P
o-e-s-j
enjoying the company of men is generally a large contributing factor but it's not a requirement. :smile:

Im so unfashionable people recoil in surprise when they realise i "enjoy" that lol.:p:
No.
1) I look like a tramp
2) I hate shopping with a passion so my clothes shopping is limited to the odd ebay purchase.
yes. Fashionable is a state of mind.

I make my own t-shirts and I have gold pointy boots. Im currently attempting to bring back the bandana.
Reply 36
i'm probably one of the most unfashionable peopel on eatch - i only wear stuff that is practical, e.g.

water proof trousers, shoes, jackets,

merino wool top as a single layer insulation (good mountaineering base layer)

wool cushioned socks to prevent blisters on long walks/hikes,

standard black north face beanie hat to keep warmth in

quick drying trousers which don't soak up water like jeans after a heavy downpour,

thats me 100% through and through - who needs fashion?
Reply 37
Well unlike the majority I would say I take pride in what I wear.
more adventurous
More so than the average person, less so than the average fashionista. I'd be more fashionable if I had more money. :rolleyes:

u off t kings college uni or sumat?
l.f.c 'til i die!!!
u off t kings college uni or sumat?

I'm entering my final year there. Why?

Latest

Trending

Trending