Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically my bf is doing really well in all subjects other than one which happens to be my strongest subject. Currently trying to tutor him but he's made up his mind that he's "too dumb" and "may as well not bother". But when I can convince him to let me help he's absolutely fine once it's explained to him. His teacher at school is really bad at doing the explaining though and this is a subject my bf needs to pass or he will be stuck in resits. Any tips on how to convince him he's not thick and to let me help more often?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by _natalierachel)
    So basically my bf is doing really well in all subjects other than one which happens to be my strongest subject. Currently trying to tutor him but he's made up his mind that he's "too dumb" and "may as well not bother". But when I can convince him to let me help he's absolutely fine once it's explained to him. His teacher at school is really bad at doing the explaining though and this is a subject my bf needs to pass or he will be stuck in resits. Any tips on how to convince him he's not thick and to let me help more often?
    Sounds like a fun tutoring task for you

I would suggest sitting him down and going over some work, eg going through a topic in a textbook and asking him questions about it and then encourage him, don't overdo it or make him feel silly but stuff like 'see, you can do this' kind of thing would help. And then once you're satisfied that he has learnt enough and practiced enough questions, do something rewarding like watching a film together or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Sounds like a fun tutoring task for you

I would suggest sitting him down and going over some work, eg going through a topic in a textbook and asking him questions about it and then encourage him, don't overdo it or make him feel silly but stuff like 'see, you can do this' kind of thing would help. And then once you're satisfied that he has learnt enough and practiced enough questions, do something rewarding like watching a film together or something
    Thanks alot for the advice we have mocks this week and the subject in question is on Friday so I'll see how revision goes tomorrow. Hopefully I can help him out...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by _natalierachel)
    Thanks alot for the advice we have mocks this week and the subject in question is on Friday so I'll see how revision goes tomorrow. Hopefully I can help him out...
    Ah okay, maybe an intense study session tomorrow to cram stuff will help him pass and ultimately it doesn't matter, he just needs to pass the real thing and find the motivation like you said. Good luck to both of you!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.