Turn on thread page Beta

Yummy vegan recipes? (vegetarian welcome too) watch

ReputationRep:
    So guys, I have a vegetarian friend coming to stay and I want to make her something nice to eat. She doesn't eat the following:

• Red meat
    • Poultry
    • Fish
    • Eggs

She's currently weaning herself off of dairy bit by bit, like she still uses milk for cooking and baking but has soya milk in cereal and tea

I'm not vegetarian and therefore don't know my way round vegan/vegetarian recipes and there's some ingredients I have never encountered before like tofu...

Help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! So I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but two of my favourite recipes to cook are vegetable korma (although this contains yoghurt and cream) and vegetable chilli (possibly vegan if you don't grate cheese on top...?) No scary tofu or stuff! Too late now, but in the morning I'll post recipes if you'd like?

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to go and eat the grass outside

ReputationRep:
    One of my super simple favourites is what I call beans on toast plus. First chop and fry (in black pepper and olive oil) some onions and some other vegetables - bell peppers work well. Once the onions are brown, add baked beans to the pan. No need to fry those for too long, since they're already cooked - just heat them up. When it's piping hot, decant the whole lot onto toast and serve. Before I went vegan I'd grate some cheese on top - I leave the decision to you and your friend.

When I make it just for myself, I tend to use half a can of beans and half an onion per meal - you could probably double that to a can and an onion. I don't know what your appetites are like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Tell her to go and eat the grass outside
    As her meat-eating best friend, it's our duty to rip each other to shreds on a daily basis but there's a time and place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveire&song)
    Hi! So I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but two of my favourite recipes to cook are vegetable korma (although this contains yoghurt and cream) and vegetable chilli (possibly vegan if you don't grate cheese on top...?) No scary tofu or stuff! Too late now, but in the morning I'll post recipes if you'd like?
    Ohh, those sound yummy! I'll ask her if there's a particular she fancies and if so I'll get back to you - thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I have a ton! My staple is basically chickpeas though.

1) Mash up a ton of avocado with a tin of chickpeas, then add in some vegan pesto and mix altogether. This can then be spread on toast/bread or put in a bread roll with sliced tomato for a ridiculously filling, healthy, protein packed lunch.

2) Chop up red onion, spring onion, sweetcorn, bell peppers, cucumbers and small tomatoes, then put to one side. Cook maybe 50g dry quinoa according to packet directions (basically boil a kettle of water, pour over quinoa in a pan and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes until it's soaked up the water). Drain a can of chickpeas and add to the veggies, then mix all the veggies into the quinoa. Add some oil, lots of salt, pepper and lemon juice and serve with coriander on top.

3) Pour a box of pre-chopped tomatoes into a pan on a low heat. Add in a ton of spices: garam masala, paprika, chillies, cumin, turmeric, literally any curry spice you've got available, plus salt and pepper. Heat for about 5 minutes, then add in some chickpeas cooked in the microwave (you literally empty out the tin of chickpeas into a microwaveable bowl and heat for 2 mins). Coat chickpeas in the tomato sauce, simmer for a bit, then remove from heat and serve. Kidney beans can be subbed in.

4) Make some toast. Spread some spicy hummus on said toast, then mash avocado on top of that. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and add tomatoes.

5) Wash one or 2 sweet potatoes to get rid of the dirt on the outside. Cover in oil, then put in the oven for 40-50 mins. Take out, open up, then add a huge dollop of hummus, guac or salsa (or all three!).

6) Measure out 1 serving of dry red lentils (probably around 50g), and put in pan. Make 500ml veg stock and pour maybe 3/5 into the pan with the lentils. Simmer the lentils in the veg stock for 15 mins, then open up and stir the lentils to make sure they don't stick. Add the rest of the stock if the lentils start sticking to the pan. After 20 mins, when they're all mushy, microwave some rice. You can optionally fry up some onions in spices whilst the lentils cook, but you don't have to. Add salt and pepper and any spices to the lentils before serving over rice (adding in the onions if you want).

If you tell me the kinds of things your friend likes, I can recommend easy recipes! Hope these help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    Hey there, I have a ton! My staple is basically chickpeas though.

1) Mash up a ton of avocado with a tin of chickpeas, then add in some vegan pesto and mix altogether. This can then be spread on toast/bread or put in a bread roll with sliced tomato for a ridiculously filling, healthy, protein packed lunch.

2) Chop up red onion, spring onion, sweetcorn, bell peppers, cucumbers and small tomatoes, then put to one side. Cook maybe 50g dry quinoa according to packet directions (basically boil a kettle of water, pour over quinoa in a pan and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes until it's soaked up the water). Drain a can of chickpeas and add to the veggies, then mix all the veggies into the quinoa. Add some oil, lots of salt, pepper and lemon juice and serve with coriander on top.

3) Pour a box of pre-chopped tomatoes into a pan on a low heat. Add in a ton of spices: garam masala, paprika, chillies, cumin, turmeric, literally any curry spice you've got available, plus salt and pepper. Heat for about 5 minutes, then add in some chickpeas cooked in the microwave (you literally empty out the tin of chickpeas into a microwaveable bowl and heat for 2 mins). Coat chickpeas in the tomato sauce, simmer for a bit, then remove from heat and serve. Kidney beans can be subbed in.

4) Make some toast. Spread some spicy hummus on said toast, then mash avocado on top of that. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and add tomatoes.

5) Wash one or 2 sweet potatoes to get rid of the dirt on the outside. Cover in oil, then put in the oven for 40-50 mins. Take out, open up, then add a huge dollop of hummus, guac or salsa (or all three!).

6) Measure out 1 serving of dry red lentils (probably around 50g), and put in pan. Make 500ml veg stock and pour maybe 3/5 into the pan with the lentils. Simmer the lentils in the veg stock for 15 mins, then open up and stir the lentils to make sure they don't stick. Add the rest of the stock if the lentils start sticking to the pan. After 20 mins, when they're all mushy, microwave some rice. You can optionally fry up some onions in spices whilst the lentils cook, but you don't have to. Add salt and pepper and any spices to the lentils before serving over rice (adding in the onions if you want).

If you tell me the kinds of things your friend likes, I can recommend easy recipes! Hope these help
    Those sound great, so healthy too which she'll love. Chickpeas look like a god send. I won't deny it I don't eat them but they're cheap, nutritious and versatile, does it get any better? Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    So guys, I have a vegetarian friend coming to stay and I want to make her something nice to eat. She doesn't eat the following:

• Red meat
    • Poultry
    • Fish
    • Eggs

She's currently weaning herself off of dairy bit by bit, like she still uses milk for cooking and baking but has soya milk in cereal and tea

I'm not vegetarian and therefore don't know my way round vegan/vegetarian recipes and there's some ingredients I have never encountered before like tofu...

Help!
    Vegetable stir fry.

also spinach and ricota filled pasta is nice, if she doesn't mind the cheese, Careful not to overcook it though, on both counts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Vegetable stir fry.

also spinach and ricota filled pasta is nice, if she doesn't mind the cheese, Careful not to overcook it though, on both counts...
    That sounds delicious, I'm guessing a tomato sauce of some sort would go with the pasta?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    That sounds delicious, I'm guessing a tomato sauce of some sort would go with the pasta?
    i don't normally bother, but it would be nice. The trick to making good pasta is in the details: run the tap, so you get cold water in the kettle. Then boil the water til it clicks, then add to the pan, on about 5 or six, til boiling, then turn down to about a three or four, add the pasta, stir a couple of times and keep an eye on it. It should only take aroun 4 minutes, until it is ready to decanter, and serve. But filled shells take less then spaghetti, or fussilli, which may take up to ten minutes. Keep an eye, don't let it over cook, and taste a piece, with a fork, if you aren't sure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegan and cook a lot of Asian dishes- I've just had a jackfruit jungle curry and it was lovely! Here's my favourite, I make this a couple of times a month, adapted from a vegan street food recipe book I love.

Yellow dal with a garlic tempering (for 3 or 4)- Put 150g each red lentils and split yellow peas in a large saucepan with 600ml water (have more at the ready to thin it out as it simmers- will be needed!), a 1tsp turmeric, 2 whole garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon salt, 4 bay leaves and 2 large whole chillis (but just trim the top off!). Bring this to the boil, skim off the foam, and then reduce to a gentle simmer for 45 minutes, until the lentils are broken down. It should be the same consistency as a medium-thick soup. Make the tempering at the very end. Heat 2 tbsp veg oil over a medium heat, add 10 thinly sliced garlic cloves, and cook the garlic until it's very slightly browned (not too much!). Add 8 dried curry leaves and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and and cook until the seeds start to splutter (warning- this can get violent!). Before serving, pour the tempering over the cooked dal, stir it in if you like, and garnish with some coriander leaves.Serve with chapati- absolutely delicious!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.