The Student Room Group

Work Experience in Year 12

We've recently been given a letter talking about work experience in Year 12 for summer 2017, and have been advised to independently research and find a placement of workplace regarding the desired course or career we would like to do.

I would like to do my work experience closely related to Architecture. I have roughly done some research on a few Architecture Firms here in the UK such as a few practices and architects within RIBA and also some top architecture firms like; Fosters + Parters, Atkins and PRP. These are obviously the much higher graded companies but I think it is better off for me to find a place that is a top class business, as this goes into account for my application in Universities and increases the chances of me getting an offer.

Are there any Architecture Firms that take in 17 year olds for work experience, for a duration of 1 week? (or would it be best to apply for a top local company?)

Aside from that I'm also really keen on doing work experience abroad for Architecture, I've looked into a few programs but I don't know if they are trustworthy. I would really love to go somewhere in Europe to study the historical aspect of building designs and also landscapes, but I'm open into any type of Architecture. I've heard that doing a work experience abroad may class as an Internship for a few weeks or months, so I have also considered that and would much prefer to go abroad and widen my knowledge.

What kinds of Internships are there for college students to go abroad for work experience in an Architecture Firm?
(edited 7 years ago)
First off, any relevant work experience is good so don't worry about it being a top class firm or anything like that. You most likely won't have the space in your PS to talk about which firm you went to and why. You will need to focus on what you learnt and how it developed your interest in the subject. Work experience abroad is a good idea but again don't worry about big schemes. In some instances it may be better to try and arrange it yourself rather than potentially paying to get experience.
Bumping this because I would like some more information on this too.
What kind of work experience is desired for a degree in architecture? Especially for the top Univeristies.

I noticed Architecture isn't widely talked about on tsr so some more replies on this would be nice :smile:

Latest