Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    whats your opinions?
    Is it looked down on?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is to most uni's but if you love it, then do it

ReputationRep:
    depends on what uni course you want to do tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han-Mingi)
    Yes it is to most uni's but if you love it, then do it
    Is it looked down on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goal101)
    whats your opinions?
    Is it looked down on?
    No absolutely not, all unis will accept sociology as long as you do well on it. However your a level choices must be relevant to the degree you want to do. I mean if you want to do something math based or science etc they will obv not accept sociology. However if you're doing something essay based sociology is the perfect a level and it is absolutely not looked down upon.
    I have done sociology in a level and finished with an A grade and I'm currently in UCL (one of londons top unis) so what I'm trying to say is as long as you do well it doesn't matter

Also what are your other a level subjects and what are you thinking to become?

ReputationRep:
    The term "soft subject" (which is stupid) refers to how facilitating it is with other subjects at universities. Hence why Sociology is normally seen as a soft subject if you wanted to do something like English Literature or Languages etc. but if you do Sociology, enjoy it and want to progress to it at uni there's no harm in doing that.

I have an A Level in Sociology and I'm finishing A2 German and A2 Philosophy and I've received offers from 4/5 unis so far; believe me, it makes next to no difference unless you're aiming for some elitist **** like Oxbridge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    unless you're aiming for some elitist **** like Oxbridge.
    It's fine there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's fine there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah right, legit did not expect that. Thanks! :-)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Ah right, legit did not expect that. Thanks! :-)
    Even at a more "fussy" college like Trinity
    https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...-combinations/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    whats your opinions?
    Is it looked down on?
    It's on LSEs preferred list: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...rallapplicants
    It's on UCLs preferred list: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...level-subjects
    It's on Sheffield's preferred list: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergra...olicies/alevel

It's on Cambridge's list of preferred subjects for Arts and Social Science courses: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ectmatters.pdf

Oxford say "Providing that any specific subject requirements have been met, all A-levels are approved for admissions purposes, with the exception of General Studies." so fine for them too https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...rements?wssl=1

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to study and where. As PQ said, it's a preferred subject for the likes of LSE and UCL, but if you want to do biology it's unlikely to be seen as worth it.
    However, if you enjoy it and have no necessary a-levels for your degree or career, then do it! I'm studying it at university and I love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smegsxo)
    It depends on what you want to study and where. As PQ said, it's a preferred subject for the likes of LSE and UCL, but if you want to do biology it's unlikely to be seen as worth it.
    However, if you enjoy it and have no necessary a-levels for your degree or career, then do it! I'm studying it at university and I love it.
    I'm doing Biology psychology and sociology at Alevel I thought I picked. A good combination
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If you want to do Biology then having Biology plus Sociology is absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    If you want to do Biology then having Biology plus Sociology is absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing Biology psychology and sociology at Alevel I thought I picked. A good combination
    I wasn't saying it wasn't a good combination, just that if you want to follow a sciences route for university then sciences and maths are going to be seen as better subjects by most. Obviously sociology will still be accepted, but it may not be looked on as favourably by some as say maths or chemistry.
    I did Biology, Psychology and Sociology at AS (and the last two at A2 as well as History) and can say that they are good picks, they work well and interlink with each other

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't saying it wasn't a good combination, just that if you want to follow a sciences route for university then sciences and maths are going to be seen as better subjects by most. Obviously sociology will still be accepted, but it may not be looked on as favourably by some as say maths or chemistry.
    I did Biology, Psychology and Sociology at AS (and the last two at A2 as well as History) and can say that they are good picks, they work well and interlink with each other
    Ahahha don't worry sorry I didn't mean to say it in a rude way I'm just wondering that's all what others think! And I only picked sociology because I couldn't do chemistry and I want to go into the medical field

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahahha don't worry sorry I didn't mean to say it in a rude way I'm just wondering that's all what others think! And I only picked sociology because I couldn't do chemistry and I want to go into the medical field

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh it's a shame you couldn't do chemistry if that's what you wanted. I think your subjects are good though and I wish you the best of luck! (I do love sociology though, good pick and I hope you enjoy it too )

ReputationRep:
    Is it looked down on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many people have their own opinions and I don't think it should be looked down on if it is. But soft subjects aren't looked down on as such it's just a different pathway to subjects like engineering, maths, sciences, medicine, law etc

ReputationRep:
    I do Biology, Psychology and Sociology and Sociology is by far the driest, most boring, dull and frankly "fake" subject there is. It's based on peoples' opinions and the whole subject is just this person thinks this..... but this person thinks that. Psychology and biology i enjoy learning and revising but sociology is just a drga and I'll be happy to get a C in it once i finish A2 because I just don't get it at all.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to enter the field of Maths, Natural Sciences, Engineering etc., then sociology probably isn't a strong subject. But if you are planning to study a degree in Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences subjects, then sociology is a good subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rigby16)
    I do Biology, Psychology and Sociology and Sociology is by far the driest, most boring, dull and frankly "fake" subject there is. It's based on peoples' opinions and the whole subject is just this person thinks this..... but this person thinks that. Psychology and biology i enjoy learning and revising but sociology is just a drga and I'll be happy to get a C in it once i finish A2 because I just don't get it at all.
    LOOL!

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.