Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so for my a levels I chose
    Biology, English, Government and Politics and History.
    But I never wanted to take History! I felt it was my only choice because I didn't get the required grades to do RS etc.
    I always wanted to do Psychology at uni but my dad said I wouldn't be good at it but now my sister is doing it at A level and I'm grasping topics quicker than her and I'm not even learning it! I'm very unhappy with History but can't drop it as uni's won't view me favourably.
    Are my A levels ok as they are not very related to Psychology? What should I do about me being unhappy with History A level? I do NOT want to redo the year because I hate my sixth form, but I don't want bad grades either, but I also don't want uni's to see my A levels and think I'm not interested in psychology because I really am!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dxcxbxf)
    But I never wanted to take History! I felt it was my only choice because I didn't get the required grades to do RS etc.
    I always wanted to do Psychology at uni but my dad said I wouldn't be good at it but now my sister is doing it at A level and I'm grasping topics quicker than her and I'm not even learning it! I'm very unhappy with History but can't drop it as uni's won't view me favourably.
    Are my A levels ok as they are not very related to Psychology? What should I do about me being unhappy with History A level? I do NOT want to redo the year because I hate my sixth form, but I don't want bad grades either, but I also don't want uni's to see my A levels and think I'm not interested in psychology because I really am!
    A few questions sweetie; first of all who didn't allow you to pick Psychology at A-level and why did you pick History if you do not like the subject?

If you want to pursue Psychology at degree, level why can't you? You're the one that will be going to uni to get your degree, for your career, for your future so I don't see how anything is stopping you.

In order to read Psychology at degree level, you most likely will need Psychology at A-level but you might get away with have Biology. Some prestigious unis want Psychology and Biology while others accept just Biology as they know Psychology isn't offered at many sixth forms compared to the traditional 3 sciences like Biology.

But, if I were you, I'd speak to your head of year and say you are extremely unhappy with History and you feel like it's totally unnecessary for you to study it as it's not adding any value to your studies. If you're sitting the AS qualifications, I would recommend you finish the AS History and then drop that in order to pick up AS Psychology - that way you stand more of a chance when applying for uni and you will have sufficient points *depending on what grades you get* for UCAS and some unis that accept UCAS points over individual A-level grades.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need Psychology. I've just applied for a Psychology degree with English Lit, Politics and Classics at Warwick, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Sussex and Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    A few questions sweetie; first of all who didn't allow you to pick Psychology at A-level and why did you pick History if you do not like the subject?

If you want to pursue Psychology at degree, level why can't you? You're the one that will be going to uni to get your degree, for your career, for your future so I don't see how anything is stopping you.

In order to read Psychology at degree level, you most likely will need Psychology at A-level but you might get away with have Biology. Some prestigious unis want Psychology and Biology while others accept just Biology as they know Psychology isn't offered at many sixth forms compared to the traditional 3 sciences like Biology.

But, if I were you, I'd speak to your head of year and say you are extremely unhappy with History and you feel like it's totally unnecessary for you to study it as it's not adding any value to your studies. If you're sitting the AS qualifications, I would recommend you finish the AS History and then drop that in order to pick up AS Psychology - that way you stand more of a chance when applying for uni and you will have sufficient points *depending on what grades you get* for UCAS and some unis that accept UCAS points over individual A-level grades.

Best of luck!
    My dad sort of pressured me into doing it but it's my own fault for letting it happen so I'm not going to blame him. I'm planning on going to uni's Leeds, Birmingham or Manchester but not quite thought that far yet, not sure if you know if these subjects would hinder my chances at these uni's? We're not doing AS levels so that won't be possible. I'm going to stick it through and if worse comes to worst I'll drop History I reckon. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiera28)
    You don't need Psychology. I've just applied for a Psychology degree with English Lit, Politics and Classics at Warwick, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Sussex and Cardiff
    Did you write anything specific about how your subjects relate to your degree in your personal statement? Also what are these uni's requirements did they not require at least one science? Or would you have a reasonable chance anyway even if they did require a science?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need 4 as/a levels so uni's will conisider you.
    Most people at my school did 3 as levels

I did 3, and currently have 4 offers from uni's.
    You only need 3 a levels and they will still consider you equally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    You don't need 4 as/a levels so uni's will conisider you.
    Most people at my school did 3 as levels

I did 3, and currently have 4 offers from uni's.
    You only need 3 a levels and they will still consider you equally
    Even if those 3 aren't facilitating subjects? (Politics)

ReputationRep:
    If you are worried about no doing psychology and wanted to do psychology at uni you could do a psychology AS next year or a psychology epq this would show good dedication to the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Even if those 3 aren't facilitating subjects? (Politics)
    If you're not happy with history then I would drop it.
    Honestly, 3 subjects will be fine! You'll have biology and English which look good

ReputationRep:
    Did you write anything specific about how your subjects relate to your degree in your personal statement? Also what are these uni's requirements did they not require at least one science? Or would you have a reasonable chance anyway even if they did require a science?
    I wrote a few lines about how these subjects link to Psychology. They didn't have any required or proffered subjects except that they liked 'traditional a levels' (English lit, languages etc).

Examples of these unis (incl. the unis applied to) are Warwick, Glasgow, St. Andrews, Exeter, Cardiff, Swansea and Sussex- although I'm sure there are more!! The only thing I'd say is that some ask for higher grades if you don't have a science.

Cardiff, for example, asks for predicted grades of AAB with a science subject and AAA/A*AB without.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1. A levels for psychology.
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...udy-psychology

2. They wont know about history if you drop it at this early stage.

3. look to do puschology and teach yourself if thats an option or if you cna enrol on a course elsewhere.

4. See what your results are if you really wish to do it at degree level or you could apply anyway.

5. You worry far too much.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply, I'll just do what I want tbh. I know I worry too much haha that's probably my issue here🤔
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    My dad sort of pressured me into doing it but it's my own fault for letting it happen so I'm not going to blame him. I'm planning on going to uni's Leeds, Birmingham or Manchester but not quite thought that far yet, not sure if you know if these subjects would hinder my chances at these uni's? We're not doing AS levels so that won't be possible. I'm going to stick it through and if worse comes to worst I'll drop History I reckon. Thank you!
    Bham do not have a preference on a levels.
    ManC want either bio, phy, chem or psych.
    Leeds have a range of subjects they want you to have.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.