Med help! Watch

Account user
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all, like my first time posting, just need some serious advice. Want to do med but...
gcse: 1A religious studies and 7B in bio chem (triple science) business studies geography computer science eng LITERATURE and maths and 2C's in Physics and Eng Language. I really was misguided in terms of studying when it came to GCSEs but I'm working harder at my first year of a levels and could get BBB or ABB in psychology chem and bio. I meet the requiremts for widening access to medicine (household income bursary free school meals low performing schools) I have also considered grad entry with pharmacy but that is LONG and EXPENSIVE PLEASE HELP!!
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Account user)
Hi all, like my first time posting, just need some serious advice. Want to do med but...
gcse: 1A religious studies and 7B in bio chem (triple science) business studies geography computer science eng LITERATURE and maths and 2C's in Physics and Eng Language. I really was misguided in terms of studying when it came to GCSEs but I'm working harder at my first year of a levels and could get BBB or ABB in psychology chem and bio. I meet the requiremts for widening access to medicine (household income bursary free school meals low performing schools) I have also considered grad entry with pharmacy but that is LONG and EXPENSIVE PLEASE HELP!!
If you resat you're English and got a B or above then you would be in a position to apply for standard medicine entry as well, i think almost all courses require a B or above in the core subjects. Graduate entry isn't the best option at the moment, considering you can still get in directly
Earth1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it really difficult to get into medical school with a C in English Language because most medicine schools require at least a B. Imperial doesn't look at your GCSE but you have to do really well in your BMAT and AS level. Also, have a look at medicine foundation course. Can you retake your English GCSE? I don't think with ABB at AS Level will get you that far tbh. I think you need to at least AAA and very strong UKCAT to compensate your GCSE. Good luck! All you need is perseverance and dedication. Keep up with your hard work, I am sure you will get there one day!
michaela__
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
First of all don't panic. Plymouth want 7 C's at GCSE and do not score them at all. Definitely try and resit your eng as some places do allow GCSE resits I believe. Try your best to get amazing a level results which I know is easier said than done. You have 2 years to get AAA and for bio and Chem its all about making revision notes and practicing it in past papers over and over again. Like I said you've got time to work hard so there's nothing stopping you from achieving even higher than ABB 😋 now with plymouth you will need to do well in the UKCAT and do decent in each section to meet all their cut offs but do not start practicing for the UKCAT already because that won't do you any good! Just keep working on your a levels and get some good long term volunteering😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Account user
Rep:
?
when and how should I resist English language as I am in AS and the resits have already took place.
What about Southampton and Nottingham widening access to med chances?
Final resort would be pharmacy then grad med as if I get rejected from med I can get a satisfying job in pharmacy.
Account user
Rep:
?
Lol I have no idea how I messed up eng Lang I got an A* in my year 11 mocks.
PS thanks everyone for the great feedback so far.
Mutmit287
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im going to be brutally honest (beating around the bush to spare feelings isnt going to get you the answer you need). It is very very unlikely you will gain entry to undergraduate medicine (A100) with a C in english language and physics. At least a B would be needed as a minimum requirement for the majority of medical schools, and a lot of them will not accept GCSE resits (email them for their individual policies on this). If you were in a position (say those Cs were Bs) then you would have a very restricted choice of medical school with all Bs at GCSE, you would have to apply to places where emphasis was heavily UKCAT based and there will be a large majority of medical schools which you will have to rule out.
Widening access to medicine could be an idea, but realistically will you gain entrance onto one of those courses? (this is for you to decide as I do not know). they are competitive and often still require AAB-ABB which is currently your highest prediction. Medicine is AAA unfortunately.

As for grad entry medicine, this is long, expensive and not guaranteed, often grad entry med has incredibly high competition rates and would require you to have amazing undergraduate marks as well as voluntary work and commitment to medicine. Even with all that you have to perform well in the GAMSAT and at interview to secure a place and the number of places is very few often.

Think this through long and hard.

(Original post by HopelessMedic)
If you resat you're English and got a B or above then you would be in a position to apply for standard medicine entry as well, i think almost all courses require a B or above in the core subjects. Graduate entry isn't the best option at the moment, considering you can still get in directly
Resits in GCSE subjects are often not accepted by medical schools, each individual policy differs but generally they prefer GCSEs to be sat in 2 years and will not accept resit grades.
Mutmit287
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
when and how should I resist English language as I am in AS and the resits have already took place.
What about Southampton and Nottingham widening access to med chances?
Final resort would be pharmacy then grad med as if I get rejected from med I can get a satisfying job in pharmacy.
You meet the requirements it seems for southampton but fall short on nottingham for GCSE grades.
Mutmit287
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by michaela__)
There is always Plymouth but obviously relying on one uni leans towards a very low chance of getting in. To the OP if you have the criteria for widening access then you may as well try for medicine if that's what you really want to do, and have your 5th as pharmacy. Just try and find out online how competitive it is and most importantly what entry requirements they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with you here Plymouth plus southampton widening access makes two and thats better than none.

I would say to them resit english language and physics and enquire as to universities which will take the resit into account when scoring GCSEs are accepting applicants have met minimum requirements.
It is going to be challenging but medicine isn't off the cards at all!
Account user
Rep:
?
(Original post by Natalierm2707)
I agree with you here Plymouth plus southampton widening access makes two and thats better than none.

I would say to them resit english language and physics and enquire as to universities which will take the resit into account when scoring GCSEs are accepting applicants have met minimum requirements.
It is going to be challenging but medicine isn't off the cards at all!
Yh thanks for the advice realistic advise is the best of them all anyway wouldn't applying to pharmacy as a back up to only one uni be risky should i just attempt to apply to Southampton and Plymouth then pharmacy for remaining. And has anyone heard of access to Leeds? I'm from there and apparently offers are reduced from AAA to ABB?? If I resat English and physics (above C grade) then got ABB would I meet requirements and realistically have a chance for Leeds?
lol apparently acceptance rate for Southampton is 3% but it mainly (80%) focuses on PS
Mutmit287
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yh thanks for the advice realistic advise is the best of them all anyway wouldn't applying to pharmacy as a back up to only one uni be risky should i just attempt to apply to Southampton and Plymouth then pharmacy for remaining. And has anyone heard of access to Leeds? I'm from there and apparently offers are reduced from AAA to ABB?? If I resat English and physics (above C grade) then got ABB would I meet requirements and realistically have a chance for Leeds?
lol apparently acceptance rate for Southampton is 3% but it mainly (80%) focuses on PS
If I were you I would apply to southampton foundation and plymouth, I would try leeds if you are eligible and they will accept resits and then apply to any A100 which will accept your resits.
SarahCroydon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would start by resitting your GCSE in English as many med schools will take into consideration any under achieving school you may have attended compared to national GCSE pass levels and not count it as resit.
You would certainly be eligible for Southampton ,Nottingham, Bradford and possibly Leicester and Bristol foundation years depending on which part of country you live in
Go for it - you have everything to play for
Account user
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarahCroydon)
I would start by resitting your GCSE in English as many med schools will take into consideration any under achieving school you may have attended compared to national GCSE pass levels and not count it as resit.
You would certainly be eligible for Southampton ,Nottingham, Bradford and possibly Leicester and Bristol foundation years depending on which part of country you live in
Go for it - you have everything to play for
Thank you so much for that confidence boost
Happyals
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I suggest that you email all the medical schools giving details about your grades and schooling to date plus WP criteria. Ask them whether they would accept an application from you as it stands or whether you need to resit the English/physics. Make a spreadsheet of their answers. Work on the assumption that you can get AAA. I was told I'd get no better than CCC and got A*A*A in my final A level grades. College are probably giving grade targets based on your GCSEs but work hard and show them what you can do. As you go through your A levels you should get a feel as to whether you can get the AAA or if you need to try the WP route. Find out about your local WP scheme (& others) inside out. If it's the Bradford Clinical Sciences scheme this is an amazing programme. Have you been to Bradford Uni to look at the course? I looked at it but didn't need it in the end. It gives you 3 potential shots at medicine 1. After the foundation year (20/100ish); after end of 1st year (20/80ish) and then the grad entry route at the end of the degree. If you get no offers and get really good grades you could take a gap year apply with known A level grades which for some med schools may make up for GCSEs (ask this question when you email them). If you can do it with not too much extra work I'd def try and get your English GCSE up to a B grade as this will help whatever you do. Make every other aspect of your application shine, make sure you have some long term volunteering in a hospital, care home etc. You may be able to get some help from the widening participation people at Bradford Uni as to how you put together a good application for your specific circumstances and they may run special events. There are also bursarys for things like UKCAT and courses to help you. Also have a look at The Medic Portal they have a great website full of information. Hope that all helps!
Account user
Rep:
?
(Original post by Happyals)
Hi I suggest that you email all the medical schools giving details about your grades and schooling to date plus WP criteria. Ask them whether they would accept an application from you as it stands or whether you need to resit the English/physics. Make a spreadsheet of their answers. Work on the assumption that you can get AAA. I was told I'd get no better than CCC and got A*A*A in my final A level grades. College are probably giving grade targets based on your GCSEs but work hard and show them what you can do. As you go through your A levels you should get a feel as to whether you can get the AAA or if you need to try the WP route. Find out about your local WP scheme (& others) inside out. If it's the Bradford Clinical Sciences scheme this is an amazing programme. Have you been to Bradford Uni to look at the course? I looked at it but didn't need it in the end. It gives you 3 potential shots at medicine 1. After the foundation year (20/100ish); after end of 1st year (20/80ish) and then the grad entry route at the end of the degree. If you get no offers and get really good grades you could take a gap year apply with known A level grades which for some med schools may make up for GCSEs (ask this question when you email them). If you can do it with not too much extra work I'd def try and get your English GCSE up to a B grade as this will help whatever you do. Make every other aspect of your application shine, make sure you have some long term volunteering in a hospital, care home etc. You may be able to get some help from the widening participation people at Bradford Uni as to how you put together a good application for your specific circumstances and they may run special events. There are also bursarys for things like UKCAT and courses to help you. Also have a look at The Medic Portal they have a great website full of information. Hope that all helps!
Amazing advice I'll take all this in to consideration thanks guys!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (484)
80.13%
Leave (120)
19.87%

Watched Threads