Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 13 currently and i would like to study microbiology. I don't have relevant work experiance in a lab since it couldn't find any.but I do have a 2 week work experiance in a farm.i was wondering is not having a relevant work experiance would seriously hinder my chances of studying microbiology at university.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Yasmin9988)
    Im in year 13 currently and i would like to study microbiology. I don't have relevant work experiance in a lab since it couldn't find any.but I do have a 2 week work experiance in a farm.i was wondering is not having a relevant work experiance would seriously hinder my chances of studying microbiology at university.
    Work experience is really only important for vocational courses. An academic course like microbiology will be looking for super curriculars like extra reading, reading blogs, watching TEDtalks/online lectures, doing MOOCs, attending public lectures etc etc .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin9988)
    I can't imagine it would seriously hinder your application - as let's face it, it's a difficult field for a year 13 to gain work experience in. Those who do have it will stand out, those who don't - I can't see that being detrimental!

My advice would be to express enthusiasm, passion and dedication for the subject through your subject choices, your related ECs and the farm do my best to mention how the farm work experience was related in some sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    I can't imagine it would seriously hinder your application - as let's face it, it's a difficult field for a year 13 to gain work experience in. Those who do have it will stand out, those who don't - I can't see that being detrimental!

My advice would be to express enthusiasm, passion and dedication for the subject through your subject choices, your related ECs and the farm do my best to mention how the farm work experience was related in some sense...
    Thank you!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.