Watch
This discussion is closed.
theECONOMIST
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
www.imc.co.uk

That is the Institute of Management Consultancy.
Download the booklet by insidecareers (scroll to bottom of home page), I found it rather interesting. It seems to be a fun career path, which also provides a steep learning curve. Oh yeh, it pays well too.
RyanW
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
www.imc.co.uk

That is the Institute of Management Consultancy.
Download the booklet by insidecareers (scroll to bottom of home page), I found it rather interesting. It seems to be a fun career path, which also provides a steep learning curve. Oh yeh, it pays well too.
What exactly do management consultants do?
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RyanW)
What exactly do management consultants do?
Tell other companies how much better than can manage their company if they change xyz, and get paid a ridiculous amount of money for doing so. It's pretty much the dream job
RyanW
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just looked at it and read all the speel. What type of degree would be desirable? I know Business Management etc will be, but what about degrees such as; Law, Politics, English, etc?
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RyanW)
Just looked at it and read all the speel. What type of degree would be desirable? I know Business Management etc will be, but what about degrees such as; Law, Politics, English, etc?
Any academic degree will do whether its maths, english, hist, geog, as long as it a first or 2:1 from a good uni.
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
management consultants = blood suckers!
RyanW
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
Any academic degree will do whether its maths, english, hist, geog, as long as it a first or 2:1 from a good uni.
Is Aberdeen regarded as a good uni? Would it be best to do an "easier" degree rather than doing law and risking not getting a 2:1?
Jump
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My uncle is one and hardly seems to do any work and only goes into the office once a month, gets quite good pay considering he's out in the country. I imagine if your really dedicated and work within major cities you would earn a packet. But unlike alot of high paying jobs it could be pretty fun too , definately an option to consider.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RyanW)
Is Aberdeen regarded as a good uni? Would it be best to do an "easier" degree rather than doing law and risking not getting a 2:1?
It's a very competitive job, so a 'less academic' subject probably wouldn't cut it. Though you should be studying a subject at uni because you want to and you have a real passion for it. With enough hard work, anyone can get a 2:1 or a first
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RyanW)
I would consider Aberdeen a good uni, but I'm not sure what the general veiw of it is. For a degree you'll get the best grade/class by taking a subject you're passionate about, if that's law then that's probably the easiest degree for you. Not sure if that makes much sense but I know what I mean!
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
It's a very competitive job, so a 'less academic' subject probably wouldn't cut it. Though you should be studying a subject at uni because you want to and you have a real passion for it. With enough hard work, anyone can get a 2:1 or a first
...beat me to it
Vitriol
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A friend of mine is starting work for Accenture Consulting next month. Pay's nice as is the golden hello.
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vitriol)
A friend of mine is starting work for Accenture Consulting next month. Pay's nice as is the golden hello.
Mind me asking what degree he did and where?
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Most consultants come from maths, econ/finance and engineering backgrounds.
Competition is very tough and they may specify that they want a 2:1 but they almost always choose candidates with 1st class degrees as well as AAB or more at A-level. Oh yeah, maths A-level grade A or B is usually specified.
My cousin works for BCG (Boston Consulting group), he got a 1st from Imperial, he read chemical engineering.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My dad's a management consultant, and he's a maths grad from ox (1st), but you can go into it with other degrees, people who he works with have got geog and english degrees too.
Vitriol
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
Mind me asking what degree he did and where?
Econ and Management, Newcastle.
Vitriol
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
Most consultants come from maths, econ/finance and engineering backgrounds.
Competition is very tough and they may specify that they want a 2:1 but they almost always choose candidates with 1st class degrees as well as AAB or more at A-level. Oh yeah, maths A-level grade A or B is usually specified.
My cousin works for BCG (Boston Consulting group), he got a 1st from Imperial, he read chemical engineering.
Maths A-Level @ A + 1st class degree REQUIRED for consulting? I find that difficult to believe.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maths A-Level @ A + 1st class degree REQUIRED for consulting? I find that difficult to believe.
That's because it's total rubbish.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Surely you'd need consultants with a mix of backgrounds and knowledge?
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Econ and Management, Newcastle.
Cheers, so he had a related degree and from a good uni too. I presume he got a 2.1 or a 1st?

I doubt Maths A-level is needed although everyone in consultancy that I know of seems to have it, only about 5 people though...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (27)
8.21%
Confident (43)
13.07%
Indifferent (51)
15.5%
Unsure (80)
24.32%
Worried (128)
38.91%

Watched Threads

Latest