Turn on thread page Beta

UKL wannabe Management Consultants-Check this guide out watch

ReputationRep:
    www.imc.co.uk

That is the Institute of Management Consultancy.
    Download the booklet by insidecareers (scroll to bottom of home page), I found it rather interesting. It seems to be a fun career path, which also provides a steep learning curve. Oh yeh, it pays well too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    www.imc.co.uk

That is the Institute of Management Consultancy.
    Download the booklet by insidecareers (scroll to bottom of home page), I found it rather interesting. It seems to be a fun career path, which also provides a steep learning curve. Oh yeh, it pays well too.
    What exactly do management consultants do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    What exactly do management consultants do?
    Tell other companies how much better than can manage their company if they change xyz, and get paid a ridiculous amount of money for doing so. It's pretty much the dream job

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at it and read all the speel. What type of degree would be desirable? I know Business Management etc will be, but what about degrees such as; Law, Politics, English, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Just looked at it and read all the speel. What type of degree would be desirable? I know Business Management etc will be, but what about degrees such as; Law, Politics, English, etc?
    Any academic degree will do whether its maths, english, hist, geog, as long as it a first or 2:1 from a good uni.

ReputationRep:
    management consultants = blood suckers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Any academic degree will do whether its maths, english, hist, geog, as long as it a first or 2:1 from a good uni.
    Is Aberdeen regarded as a good uni? Would it be best to do an "easier" degree rather than doing law and risking not getting a 2:1?

ReputationRep:
    My uncle is one and hardly seems to do any work and only goes into the office once a month, gets quite good pay considering he's out in the country. I imagine if your really dedicated and work within major cities you would earn a packet. But unlike alot of high paying jobs it could be pretty fun too , definately an option to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Is Aberdeen regarded as a good uni? Would it be best to do an "easier" degree rather than doing law and risking not getting a 2:1?
    It's a very competitive job, so a 'less academic' subject probably wouldn't cut it. Though you should be studying a subject at uni because you want to and you have a real passion for it. With enough hard work, anyone can get a 2:1 or a first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    I would consider Aberdeen a good uni, but I'm not sure what the general veiw of it is. For a degree you'll get the best grade/class by taking a subject you're passionate about, if that's law then that's probably the easiest degree for you. Not sure if that makes much sense but I know what I mean!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    It's a very competitive job, so a 'less academic' subject probably wouldn't cut it. Though you should be studying a subject at uni because you want to and you have a real passion for it. With enough hard work, anyone can get a 2:1 or a first
    ...beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine is starting work for Accenture Consulting next month. Pay's nice as is the golden hello.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    A friend of mine is starting work for Accenture Consulting next month. Pay's nice as is the golden hello.
    Mind me asking what degree he did and where?

ReputationRep:
    Most consultants come from maths, econ/finance and engineering backgrounds.
    Competition is very tough and they may specify that they want a 2:1 but they almost always choose candidates with 1st class degrees as well as AAB or more at A-level. Oh yeah, maths A-level grade A or B is usually specified.
    My cousin works for BCG (Boston Consulting group), he got a 1st from Imperial, he read chemical engineering.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's a management consultant, and he's a maths grad from ox (1st), but you can go into it with other degrees, people who he works with have got geog and english degrees too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Mind me asking what degree he did and where?
    Econ and Management, Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    Most consultants come from maths, econ/finance and engineering backgrounds.
    Competition is very tough and they may specify that they want a 2:1 but they almost always choose candidates with 1st class degrees as well as AAB or more at A-level. Oh yeah, maths A-level grade A or B is usually specified.
    My cousin works for BCG (Boston Consulting group), he got a 1st from Imperial, he read chemical engineering.
    Maths A-Level @ A + 1st class degree REQUIRED for consulting? I find that difficult to believe.

ReputationRep:
    Maths A-Level @ A + 1st class degree REQUIRED for consulting? I find that difficult to believe.
    That's because it's total rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you'd need consultants with a mix of backgrounds and knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    Econ and Management, Newcastle.
    Cheers, so he had a related degree and from a good uni too. I presume he got a 2.1 or a 1st?

I doubt Maths A-level is needed although everyone in consultancy that I know of seems to have it, only about 5 people though...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.