Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I would like to study accounting and finance at degree level and later become a chartered accountant. However, my C grade in Maths at GCSE rules me out of the running for most of the better ranked unis. Please help me choose between University of East Anglia, Middlesex University, Oxford Brookes, Westminster University, London South Bank University and BPP. I would like to live and study in London but it seems from this forum that the universities in London that would accept a C grade in GCSE Maths (listed above) are not particularly well regarded. So, help me choose, please !

ReputationRep:
    Choose a uni based on exam exemptions and work placements.

https://apps.icaew.com/cpldirectory/
    here's the list of uni and courses which offer exemptions towards the ACA.

You can get upto 9 exemptions towards the ACCA depending on the uni course. Look into that here
    http://www.accaglobal.com/ubcs/en/he...alculator.html

Experience is everything in accounting, so check which of those uni courses offer placements/internships.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sh9. By that measure, LSBU and Westminster enjoy the maximum 9 ACCA exemptions and they are based in London, which is where I would like to be. Problem is their poor reputation! I was thinking Middlesex is the best bet (ranked lower than East Anglia but located in London). Does anyone agree that out of the listed options, I am better off applying to Middlesex. Please suggest a 1,2 (preferred option and insurance). Maybe current accounting and finance students at these unis can weigh in ....

ReputationRep:
    UEA is a great university and are very lenient, I would reaelly apply there. also, try resitting your maths gcse? and also, are you sure that you want to do a very maths based subject with only a C in GCSE? cause no matter which uni you will go to, it will be reallly challenging and hard.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks prosthetic zeta. I am off to a good start in AS Accounts (getting an A* in my first monthly test) and understand from my research that a good grade in GCSE Maths is not essential for accounting (basically, you need to be comfortable with basic arithmetic and maybe algebra but not in, say, geometry, trigonometry etc.). Even if UEA is a better uni, would I lose out by not being in London in terms of overall experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wishful thinking)
    Thanks prosthetic zeta. I am off to a good start in AS Accounts (getting an A* in my first monthly test) and understand from my research that a good grade in GCSE Maths is not essential for accounting (basically, you need to be comfortable with basic arithmetic and maybe algebra but not in, say, geometry, trigonometry etc.). Even if UEA is a better uni, would I lose out by not being in London in terms of overall experience?
    That is great! Well done and keep on going. Personally and from talking to my friends, I do not think that you will lose out. Firstly, you can always organise to have a year where you go out to work during your university study - placement year. This way you can build your connections and work experience, no matter where you study! I would also recommend doing this now. If you know any one that knows somebody who is in accounting, it is always worth looking into it as it brings experience to the field and lights up your personal statement! Whilst at Uni and in London, you might make some connections but it is really not guaranteed! UEA offers a lot of opportunities and it is in top 15 of British Unis for a reason so I really do not think that you will be in a disadvantage!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks prostheticzeta for your advice and encouragement. One last question, if I may - do you consider Kent or UEA better or would you rate them equally good?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Wishful thinking)
    Thanks prostheticzeta for your advice and encouragement. One last question, if I may - do you consider Kent or UEA better or would you rate them equally good?
    Hi,

As no one has responded to this we'll throw a few stats at you! 97% of students, according to Unistats, have been satisfied with the quality of our Accounting and Finance course - that's a very high statistic. There's a 91.4% employment success rate with the Norwich Business School according to DLHE (2014-15), and we're joint third overall for student satisfaction in the country! Of course we're also a Top 15 university too, so we think we're a pretty good punt for your UCAS

Take a look at the course profile for more information - https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergr...ng-and-finance - and you can also hear from one of our graduates in this Q&A here.

Do let us know if you have anymore questions!

ReputationRep:
    Hi UEA,

Thanks for your reply. I am certainly interested in applying to UEA next year, so long as you don't revise your required grade for GCSE Maths upwards from the current requirement (grade C)!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2016
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.