Trump & Brexit is what happens when you smear all who disagree as racist Watch

Damien96
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
When presented with counter-arguements, shouting 'racist' louder or building bigger placards does not end with the opinion going away. It only hardens the stance and ferments further resentment.

Trump and Corbyn are what happens when your all you have is a nauseating masochism that shuts down conversation. Trump is as much a product of the left as he is the right.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-ne...gger-placards/
JKS64
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I noticed that people wanting to leave the EU kept their opinions quiet because most people I heard voting to remain were so vocal and ignorantly labelled brexiters as racists or xenophobics - the possibility that people wanted to leave for other reasons was just filtered out. As they couldn't formulate rational arguments, I just thought it best to keep my opinions to myself.

The same might go for the US election as supporting Donald Trump was so often ignorantly attributed as being racist, islamophobic, sexist or homophobic by 'liberal' SJWs. I think this might be why the results for both were so unexpected.

To be honest, despite Brexit not looking particularly great, I do think the result has been a brilliant wake-up call for the government. It shows that people have increasingly grown tired of how it works and that people are divided.

It's blunt and doesn't sound particularly optimistic, but goals the government and more well-off families have (e.g. multiculturalism, religious equality, the environment & welfare of immigrants) just aren't important to some other people - this can't just be forced on people. Particularly in lower income and minimum wage families where simply managing to get on day by day is most likely prioritised. I think this difference in prioritisation is often twisted by the more well-off 'left' to mean racism, islamophobia, xenophobia etc. Again, this simply comes to show a deep level of ignorance and closed-mindedness found amongst much of the left and SJWs alike.
Damien96
Rep:
?
(Original post by JKS64)
I noticed that people wanting to leave the EU kept their opinions quiet because most people I heard voting to remain were so vocal and ignorantly labelled brexiters as racists or xenophobics - the possibility that people wanted to leave for other reasons was just filtered out. As they couldn't formulate rational arguments, I just thought it best to keep my opinions to myself.

The same might go for the US election as supporting Donald Trump was so often ignorantly attributed as being racist, islamophobic, sexist or homophobic by 'liberal' SJWs. I think this might be why the results for both were so unexpected.
I wholly agree and I speak as someone who voted remain and finds Trump an utter disgrace of a human being, let alone a leader.

The arrogance of many on the left to assume they alone hold the truth and all dissenting voices must be smeared and silenced has helped lead us to this situation and instead of looking int he mirror, the volume just increases.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also what happened when a soulless, cynical, self-satisfied, 'end of history', 'end of nation state' 'post-democratic-era', neoliberal orthodoxy get's kicked into touch.

The nation state, and representative democracy, may just be on the rise.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree wholeheartedly.

Trump and Brexit are an indirect result of the stifling of debate, insincere insults and shame bullying from the left.

This is not the same as supporting Trump or Brexit and I say this as someone that voted Remain and still faintly hope that we can remain in the EU peacefully. Trump is a vile man.
Tubbz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just because your decision was held by a majority doesn't make it right. It doesn't validate the opinion, and make racism acceptable, it just means there's a lot of work still to do.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The more and more I think of it, the more utterly bizarre and counter-intuitive it seems to choose the status quo and perpetuate something so stifling and oppressive. It was like the political, societal equivalent of being in a windowless house and being offered identical, inescapable rooms as a 'choice'. It is safe in there, you get fed, and you don't know what happens if you break out of it. **** them. Take democracy back. They are the past.

You were dealing with basic laws of nature here. People have just had it with this self-congratulation, smugness, downright treachery and unending cruelty and evil portrayed as saintliness.

'Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.'

'There is a tide in the affairs of men....'

Two pertinent quotes from two great Britons.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Damien96)
When presented with counter-arguements, shouting 'racist' louder or building bigger placards does not end with the opinion going away. It will only hardens the stance and ferments further resentment.

Trump and Corbyn are what happens when your all you have is a nauseating masochism that shuts down conversation. Trump is as much a product of the left as he is the right.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-ne...gger-placards/
Yea, that's not really how the causation works here...
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree, as someone who was vocally for Remain and Hillary.

When you go out and call half of Trump's voterbase "a basket of deplorables", regardless of how accurate that may be, you are showing a degree of classism and arrogance that we haven't seen since the Victorian era. Don't be surprised when those "deplorables" go out and vote against you.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JKS64)

And this fully explains inaccurate polls.

But did you vote Brexit because the Brexiters were labelled racist?
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by yudothis)
And this fully explains inaccurate polls.

But did you vote Brexit because the Brexiters were labelled racist?
It's a wider debate about political correctness, of which the above is a contributing factor but not the sole cause.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
It's a wider debate about political correctness, of which the above is a contributing factor but not the sole cause.
Did not answer my question.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JKS64)
No, the decision came before the labels.
Exactly, which makes the idea of the OP fruitless.

What it does do is push people already holding these views to be more enthusiastic. To be more likely to vote.
Damien96
Rep:
?
Yea, that's not really how the causation works here...
Yeah, that's exactly the type of smugness I meant.
Damien96
Rep:
?
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
Also what happened when a soulless, cynical, self-satisfied, 'end of history', 'end of nation state' 'post-democratic-era', neoliberal orthodoxy get's kicked into touch.

The nation state, and representative democracy, may just be on the rise.
I half agree.

I wouldn't call this a victory for democracy. Trump will be, at best, a thwarted dictator. This isn't just a vote against othordoxy, it's a vote to sabotage the entire system and that is not a good thing.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did not answer my question.
I wouldn't have thought it deterred Brexiteers from swaying, but there were a lot on the fence that would have heard the rhetoric and voted in defiance.

Defiance and the debate about political correctness are the main causes. When you are being shouted down as "racist" for voicing concerns about Islam and immigration, do you go "huh, yeah, I'll sit down and shut up" or do you feel further resentment?
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's true though, politicians have tried to shame people who have the 'wrong' views into voting the other way.

This is why the opinion/exit polls were so vastly wrong, people were reluctant to show their true allegiances in public but no such reluctance at the ballot box.
Damien96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
Its just white people being white tbh.

Can't find source lol, but similar here
https://www.surveymonkey.com/electio...ials-white-cps
Even if I was to accept that premise and the inherent racism you just displayed, the point is not listening to the concerns of your voters, and smearing them as all racist, is not just smug, it's bound to back fire.
Damien96
Rep:
?
(Original post by rockrunride)
I agree wholeheartedly.

Trump and Brexit are an indirect result of the stifling of debate, insincere insults and shame bullying from the left.

This is not the same as supporting Trump or Brexit. Trump is a vile man.
I wholly agree. I take no pleasure in this result and any liberal minded person who thinks it amusing hasn't grasped the seriousness of the situation.
Damien96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tubbz)
Just because your decision was held by a majority doesn't make it right. It doesn't validate the opinion, and make racism acceptable, it just means there's a lot of work still to do.
There is indeed. The first thing is to stop branding all dissenting views as bigoted. It cheapens the accusation and fuels nothign more than resentment. Then we can get on with the business of tackling genuine bigots, such as Trump himself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (27)
14.92%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.55%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.46%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (6)
3.31%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.08%