Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, hey,

Although I sent my application into 5 different universities, KCL has always been my dream uni. At first I wanted to study Medicine, but soon realised that it's not what I want. Then the MUN's I participated in all over Europe made me realize that international affairs, politics and law is what interests me and I immediately fell in love with the LLB Politics, Philosophy and Law programme in King's. Did the LNAT, currently incredibly upset because I have that feeling of having done incredibly bad at the test part (although I hope that at least my essay was good enough).

I have been predicted 38/45 in IB, HL 7 in English B, 6 in Chemistry, 6 in Biology, SL 6 in Latvian A Literature, 5 in Economics (although this has reportedly changed to 6, but have already sent everything in) and 5 in Mathematics (+3 for TOK and EE).

Apart from KCL, also sent my application into Exeter, Leeds, Birmingham and Oxford.

Can someone help me and calm my mind - do I stand a good chance in getting a positive response from KCL? And how heavy/badly do they consider the LNAT results?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    OK, so, my girlfriend is studying Law at King's, got 27 on the LNAT and 37 766 at IB. They consider the LNAT quite highly, both multiple choice and the essay and expect a score of at least 24 although most students get around the 25 mark: all hope is not lost though because the LNAT is not the be all and end all, if you have a stellar personal statement alongside high predicted grades (as you do) then you still have a pretty good chance. I know someone else who got rejected by King's for Law because she got extremely low grades at AS (eventually changed all of her subjects to ones which suited her more and was predicted A*AA), but got 29 on the LNAT. So, as I said, the LNAT really is not the most important; yes, a good just above average score is beneficial, but you may still have a chance with say 22 on the LNAT if you have a wonderful personal statement and fulfil those grades that you are predicted.

So, all in all you are not doomed! The other unis you have applied to are all also brilliant (Exeter was my chosen insurance for Philo and it's good for Law too). Good luck and don't fret too much, I am sure you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Did you end up applying for PPL? I really want to apply but i'm scared My predicted grades are 37, HL 765 (Lang B, Geography, Economics) and SL 665 (Eng A L&L, Biology, Math SL). I was at the same position as you, I was going to take psychology but seeing that my requirements didn't meet most of the UNIs I wanted to go to I found myself falling in love for another course. I'm taking the LNAT test soon but i'm still unsure. If the chances for me aren't that good I'd rather apply for Political Economy instead. I heard this course is really competitive. What should i do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krn2)
    Hi there! Did you end up applying for PPL? I really want to apply but i'm scared My predicted grades are 37, HL 765 (Lang B, Geography, Economics) and SL 665 (Eng A L&L, Biology, Math SL). I was at the same position as you, I was going to take psychology but seeing that my requirements didn't meet most of the UNIs I wanted to go to I found myself falling in love for another course. I'm taking the LNAT test soon but i'm still unsure. If the chances for me aren't that good I'd rather apply for Political Economy instead. I heard this course is really competitive. What should i do!
    I would not say that you have a bad chance, definitely not! I mean, 37 points is clearly above their asking point of 35, which already gives you a great advantage. As long as you do not completely fail the LNAT (which I think I may have, except for the essay, that I think I did pretty good, haha), you should be okay and in the safe. Have a pristine personal statement, work towards those predicted's and then it is just a waiting game; I am sure you will be able to succeed and I think you would get the offer, although I am in the blank about myself, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm Italian and applied for this course too! (Politics, Philosophy & Law).
    I'm kinda worried that I've done the LNAT pretty bad and my essay was pretty short, just 375 words, but I think that a good content is better than many useless words, right?

I also applied for UCL, Warwick, QMUL and Sheffield, but the one that I like most is King's with this course but I know that few people get into!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmequeen)
    Hey, hey,

Although I sent my application into 5 different universities, KCL has always been my dream uni. At first I wanted to study Medicine, but soon realised that it's not what I want. Then the MUN's I participated in all over Europe made me realize that international affairs, politics and law is what interests me and I immediately fell in love with the LLB Politics, Philosophy and Law programme in King's. Did the LNAT, currently incredibly upset because I have that feeling of having done incredibly bad at the test part (although I hope that at least my essay was good enough).

I have been predicted 38/45 in IB, HL 7 in English B, 6 in Chemistry, 6 in Biology, SL 6 in Latvian A Literature, 5 in Economics (although this has reportedly changed to 6, but have already sent everything in) and 5 in Mathematics (+3 for TOK and EE).

Apart from KCL, also sent my application into Exeter, Leeds, Birmingham and Oxford.

Can someone help me and calm my mind - do I stand a good chance in getting a positive response from KCL? And how heavy/badly do they consider the LNAT results?

Thanks!!
    Hi! Would you mind sharing your application result? Did you end up in King's? (Coincidentally I find myself in the same place as you- knew that I didn't want to take Med, MUN helped me a lot in deciding law, a good essay but felt like I flopped the multiple choice)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chin2009)
    Hi! Would you mind sharing your application result? Did you end up in King's? (Coincidentally I find myself in the same place as you- knew that I didn't want to take Med, MUN helped me a lot in deciding law, a good essay but felt like I flopped the multiple choice)
    Hey! I am sorry for the late response but no, I did not end up at King's because I feel a few points short on my diploma. I still had an acceptance from them even though my multiple choice was fairly average (23/40 or how much was it, but it was above last year's average score on LNAT). I think the essay and the reference from my school helped quite a lot, therefore, as long as you are confident about what your academic advisor in school has written about you in your reference, you should be fine. They do not give out offers graciously, that is true, but if you score above average in LNAT or just below it, but your reference, LNAT essay and PS is more or less working in your advantage, you should receive an offer. They will not, however, make your offer unconditional for law in the case you score below the requirements. In the case you think you might score below, insure QMUL for law - they are lenient if you PS is strong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmequeen)
    Hey! I am sorry for the late response but no, I did not end up at King's because I feel a few points short on my diploma. I still had an acceptance from them even though my multiple choice was fairly average (23/40 or how much was it, but it was above last year's average score on LNAT). I think the essay and the reference from my school helped quite a lot, therefore, as long as you are confident about what your academic advisor in school has written about you in your reference, you should be fine. They do not give out offers graciously, that is true, but if you score above average in LNAT or just below it, but your reference, LNAT essay and PS is more or less working in your advantage, you should receive an offer. They will not, however, make your offer unconditional for law in the case you score below the requirements. In the case you think you might score below, insure QMUL for law - they are lenient if you PS is strong.
    Ah thank you for replying! That is very assuring to hear and I will definitely take your advice. I hope you're having a great time at uni!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 9, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.