Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Looking for advice: I've recently started uni at Southampton which was my first choice. Basically, i'm not enjoying uni very much, the people in my halls are all nice and i have friends in my halls (and people i've agreed to live with next year) but i still don't feel very happy here. I really don't like Southampton as a city. I'm originally from Brighton which is quite an arty, liberal place with a diverse nightlife and lots of independent shops etc. Being in Southampton feels like a step down, and my catered halls makes me feel more immature than i have felt in 2 years. I visited my friend in Bristol uni a while back and instantly liked the people in his halls more and much preferred Bristol city to Southampton, so now i'm very jealous.

Recently i've been trying to think of something that could make me happy or excited and i honestly can't think of anything at all. I've been taking a lot of mdma throughout the last year and so think this may be messing up my head. I'm going to try and stay off drugs for a while to see if it helps.

I don't want to drop out of uni as the thought of being back at home doesn't make me happy. Even if i did, I can't apply for a different uni of the same calibre as southampton as my grades aren't great and i got into Southampton on a fluke.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by greenpringle)
    Looking for advice: I've recently started uni at Southampton which was my first choice. Basically, i'm not enjoying uni very much, the people in my halls are all nice and i have friends in my halls (and people i've agreed to live with next year) but i still don't feel very happy here. I really don't like Southampton as a city. I'm originally from Brighton which is quite an arty, liberal place with a diverse nightlife and lots of independent shops etc. Being in Southampton feels like a step down, and my catered halls makes me feel more immature than i have felt in 2 years. I visited my friend in Bristol uni a while back and instantly liked the people in his halls more and much preferred Bristol city to Southampton, so now i'm very jealous.

Recently i've been trying to think of something that could make me happy or excited and i honestly can't think of anything at all. I've been taking a lot of mdma throughout the last year and so think this may be messing up my head. I'm going to try and stay off drugs for a while to see if it helps.

I don't want to drop out of uni as the thought of being back at home doesn't make me happy. Even if i did, I can't apply for a different uni of the same calibre as southampton as my grades aren't great and i got into Southampton on a fluke.
    Firstly, I would stop taking drugs, and I think that'll definitely help!

I think it's great that you've got the attitude of not wanting to drop out - Have you joined any societies of things that you like to do? These can be a really great way of meeting other people who have similar interests, and a lot of societies will do trips going away from Southampton!

Also, remember that next year you probably won't be in Halls, which may help you feel a lot better!

Finally, have you spoken to anyone in your uni's support services or your personal advisor?

ReputationRep:
    Transfer to a different uni for second year, if there's still time

ReputationRep:

hey
    i cant say i have a solution, but i do want to say that atm i am feeling similar and so am trying to take advantage of my uni's wellbeing service. so far its been good! i would definitely look into it

as for the drugs yeah id stop it with those. i cant imagine comedowns and just generally messing with chemicals in your head will help
    good luck, its still early days so you might still settle in i suppose? a lot of people have a shaky first year
    but if you dont think it will change that easy then ry getting some support from your uni id say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Firstly, I would stop taking drugs, and I think that'll definitely help!

I think it's great that you've got the attitude of not wanting to drop out - Have you joined any societies of things that you like to do? These can be a really great way of meeting other people who have similar interests, and a lot of societies will do trips going away from Southampton!

Also, remember that next year you probably won't be in Halls, which may help you feel a lot better!

Finally, have you spoken to anyone in your uni's support services or your personal advisor?

Thank you for the reply! The problem is that nothing really interests me that much.. Unlike most people i don't really have a hobby or something i'm passionate about. I did join some societies when i started but i've not continued attending any of them.

I think I will take your advice and speak to student support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    Transfer to a different uni for second year, if there's still time
    I looked into this and i can't apply for any uni's that are equally as good as Southampton as my grades aren't good enough. I would love to go to a worse uni in a better city but it seems like such a stupid idea for my future.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Thank you for the reply! The problem is that nothing really interests me that much.. Unlike most people i don't really have a hobby or something i'm passionate about. I did join some societies when i started but i've not continued attending any of them.

I think I will take your advice and speak to student support.
    That's fair enough! I'm in a relatively similar position, albeit second year, which in some ways, I find more isolating because there are only 4 of us in the house, rather than 9 in Halls in first year...

ReputationRep:

I'm in the exact same position, I can relate soooo well !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomaziax)
    I'm in the exact same position, I can relate soooo well !!
    What uni are you at? Still not enjoying it much in Southampton, i'm considering dropping out and applying for Manchester but my grades aren't good enough to guarantee me a place

ReputationRep:
    York St. John :/ hate the uni the city!
    I'm finishing off my year then going to
    Hull x

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.