Dropping out of uni - can I apply for the same course at the same uni next year? Watch

Fleming1928
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in my first year of university. At the beginning everything was fine: I was not struggling academically, I was very motivated and always done more than enough work in my free time. I had a great group of friends, we have met on a group chat beforehand so when we got to uni it felt like we already knew each other, we'd spend pretty much all of our free time together. In the blink of an eye my course's workload increased drastically, I have exams like every two weeks (I do languages) and I can't remember the last time I managed to complete a piece of homework due to revision. On top of that my history modules are proving to be too much for me, as our lectures have nothing to do with what our essays are about. I know that I am not the only one struggling, the numbers of attendees in my lectures have dropped massively. My friends from different courses are doing the same, to the point where some of them have gotten warnings about their attendance. So far I have only skipped about 5 lectures, and that's mainly due to the fact that I've had 'fresher's flu' for about 6 weeks now and I'm absolutely exhausted by this illness, which is only getting worse. On top of that, my friendship group fell apart. I've never felt so alone and unwanted in my life. During freshers everyone was in the hype, we would constantly go out and when we were having chilled nights in everyone would always come over to mine. The location of our meet ups soon changed and the reason everyone gave me is that my accommodation is too far (it's like a 10 minute walk ...). Later some people in my group started 'joking' about how certain people hate me, which turned out to not be a joke, yet I don't know the reasoning for this. I have tried to sort this out with said people yet it did not help the situation. I stopped getting invited whenever everyone else meets up, and even when I 'accidentally' did get invited they later did their best to make me not want to come. I brought it up before that I no longer get invited and they said that I don't need to get invited, I should just come, even though I can see everyone inviting each other through facebook. I stopped putting in the effort and 'forcing' myself onto other people, and that left me with 2 'friends', who act like best friends and always make me feel second best. I feel like I don't fit in at all, and yet I've never had such problems beforehand. I never saw myself as a person who's disliked by many, therefore I'd love to know what everyone's reasoning for this is, yet when I brought it up they simply said that I should not worry about the fact that everyone hates me. In my eyes everyone's just being very immature and their lives revolve around gossip. I don't want to get involved in any drama, I have worse problems to worry about. I tried to become friendly with my course mates, and I do have friends which I can talk to in my lectures, yet we barely have any free periods together, some of them commute so I don't see them much, and many are also experiencing the stress and therefore go home whenever they can (I have not been home yet). I do realise that all of these 'friendship problems' might sound quite pathetic, but I have written everything in the vaguest way possible. The point is I feel like people are pushing me away, and when I finally put in as much effort as everyone puts into me, I'm the bad one. There are some people in the group who are isolating themselves from the group because they simply get along better with their flat mates, yet the other people from the group still constantly force themselves upon them and carry on inviting them to all the meet ups. At this stage I have no one who I could live with in second year, whereas everyone else is already looking at houses.To make a long story short, I want to drop out as I am struggling academically and the uni life in general has had negative effects on me mentally and physically. I don't look after myself properly, I barely eat and I messed up my medication. I know that I can't carry on like this much longer. If I knew uni would turn out like this, I'd definitely take a gap year, which is what I kind of want to do now. I want to drop out but reapply for the same course at the same university in time for next year, is that a possibility? I feel like I just need a break and look after myself, only then I can start worrying about university again. I'm also worried about finance though, my student finance has been very delayed and I still haven't got it, I should receive it on the 21st of November. What will my financial situation look like next year, will I still be able to get a loan?
Kevin De Bruyne
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fleming1928)
I'm in my first year of university. At the beginning everything was fine: I was not struggling academically, I was very motivated and always done more than enough work in my free time. I had a great group of friends, we have met on a group chat beforehand so when we got to uni it felt like we already knew each other, we'd spend pretty much all of our free time together. In the blink of an eye my course's workload increased drastically, I have exams like every two weeks (I do languages) and I can't remember the last time I managed to complete a piece of homework due to revision. On top of that my history modules are proving to be too much for me, as our lectures have nothing to do with what our essays are about. I know that I am not the only one struggling, the numbers of attendees in my lectures have dropped massively. My friends from different courses are doing the same, to the point where some of them have gotten warnings about their attendance. So far I have only skipped about 5 lectures, and that's mainly due to the fact that I've had 'fresher's flu' for about 6 weeks now and I'm absolutely exhausted by this illness, which is only getting worse. On top of that, my friendship group fell apart. I've never felt so alone and unwanted in my life. During freshers everyone was in the hype, we would constantly go out and when we were having chilled nights in everyone would always come over to mine. The location of our meet ups soon changed and the reason everyone gave me is that my accommodation is too far (it's like a 10 minute walk ...). Later some people in my group started 'joking' about how certain people hate me, which turned out to not be a joke, yet I don't know the reasoning for this. I have tried to sort this out with said people yet it did not help the situation. I stopped getting invited whenever everyone else meets up, and even when I 'accidentally' did get invited they later did their best to make me not want to come. I brought it up before that I no longer get invited and they said that I don't need to get invited, I should just come, even though I can see everyone inviting each other through facebook. I stopped putting in the effort and 'forcing' myself onto other people, and that left me with 2 'friends', who act like best friends and always make me feel second best. I feel like I don't fit in at all, and yet I've never had such problems beforehand. I never saw myself as a person who's disliked by many, therefore I'd love to know what everyone's reasoning for this is, yet when I brought it up they simply said that I should not worry about the fact that everyone hates me. In my eyes everyone's just being very immature and their lives revolve around gossip. I don't want to get involved in any drama, I have worse problems to worry about. I tried to become friendly with my course mates, and I do have friends which I can talk to in my lectures, yet we barely have any free periods together, some of them commute so I don't see them much, and many are also experiencing the stress and therefore go home whenever they can (I have not been home yet). I do realise that all of these 'friendship problems' might sound quite pathetic, but I have written everything in the vaguest way possible. The point is I feel like people are pushing me away, and when I finally put in as much effort as everyone puts into me, I'm the bad one. There are some people in the group who are isolating themselves from the group because they simply get along better with their flat mates, yet the other people from the group still constantly force themselves upon them and carry on inviting them to all the meet ups. At this stage I have no one who I could live with in second year, whereas everyone else is already looking at houses.To make a long story short, I want to drop out as I am struggling academically and the uni life in general has had negative effects on me mentally and physically. I don't look after myself properly, I barely eat and I messed up my medication. I know that I can't carry on like this much longer. If I knew uni would turn out like this, I'd definitely take a gap year, which is what I kind of want to do now. I want to drop out but reapply for the same course at the same university in time for next year, is that a possibility? I feel like I just need a break and look after myself, only then I can start worrying about university again. I'm also worried about finance though, my student finance has been very delayed and I still haven't got it, I should receive it on the 21st of November. What will my financial situation look like next year, will I still be able to get a loan?
Sorry to hear that, it sounds like you've had a rough start to the academic year already. I know that it can be particularly stressful if you feel like you won't have anyone to live with in the next year.

I would say that okay, you've had other stuff going on, but maybe your uni/course is just too difficult as well? I'm not sure what the answer to that is but that is somethng to think about for next year.

Also, speak to someone about this, like your personal tutor. It may well be that you can be offered a place next year without having to apply.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would have thought interrupting your studies for a year would make more sense than dropping out and reapplying for the same course at the same uni... but maybe I'm missing something here? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fleming1928
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
Sorry to hear that, it sounds like you've had a rough start to the academic year already. I know that it can be particularly stressful if you feel like you won't have anyone to live with in the next year.

I would say that okay, you've had other stuff going on, but maybe your uni/course is just too difficult as well? I'm not sure what the answer to that is but that is somethng to think about for next year.

Also, speak to someone about this, like your personal tutor. It may well be that you can be offered a place next year without having to apply.
I'm not going to deny the fact that I'm finding my course extremely difficult. The problem is, I do enjoy it, and I find the lectures really interesting. It's just the workload and constant exams which are stressing me out. I know I can't be the only one who's finding uni stressful, but the fact that everyone around me still seems to be in their 'freshers' phase and would rather go out and skip a morning lecture the next day because 'you can resit an exam but you can't relive a party' gives off the illusion that yes, it's just me. I will see how my exams go next week, maybe I am just over reacting.
Fleming1928
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I would have thought interrupting your studies for a year would make more sense than dropping out and reapplying for the same course at the same uni... but maybe I'm missing something here? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't realise I could do that, it would make much more sense. Thank you, I'll look into it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.85%
No (700)
73.15%

Watched Threads