Turn on thread page Beta

Trump / Brexit - millennial media culpability watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    This will be me tomorrow morning when I turn on the news at 5am and find out Trump is president :getmecoat:
    This says it all for me.

This is the reaction - make memes. People are losing it and making out this is the worst day in the history of the world (since Brexit, and before that since the GE) - but the best that anyone can do is make memes.

The theme is always the same though - "people who don't believe what I believe are bad / stupid people - and you bad / stupid people must be punished / re-educated"

It never occurs that this is exactly the reason that this series of events has taken place in politics, and it's only getting ever more acute.

After a "non-left / non-liberal" win, the immediate reaction is to proclaim the end of the world, and joke about how dumb everyone that voted the way you don't like is.

This leads to those people feeling that they have no voice at all in public - so they ironically turn to the voice they do have - the political one. It's come full circle, from when people thought they had no political representation took to media. Now people have no media representation, they take to politics.

At some point soon, there will probably be a vote of some kind in this country. The same left/liberal brigade will come out all guns blazing, will pour all their hate and vitriol on people and politicians in this country. And then what we now call the Labour Party will be utterly wiped out. The next day all the memes will come out again. "I'm so done with this country" "England - you're just the worst" and so on and so on.

And at no point does it occur to anyone that they have contributed in a real way to the new politics. The blame will go back on middle class middle aged people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    This says it all for me.

This is the reaction - make memes. People are losing it and making out this is the worst day in the history of the world (since Brexit, and before that since the GE) - but the best that anyone can do is make memes.

The theme is always the same though - "people who don't believe what I believe are bad / stupid people - and you bad / stupid people must be punished / re-educated"

It never occurs that this is exactly the reason that this series of events has taken place in politics, and it's only getting ever more acute.

After a "non-left / non-liberal" win, the immediate reaction is to proclaim the end of the world, and joke about how dumb everyone that voted the way you don't like is.

This leads to those people feeling that they have no voice at all in public - so they ironically turn to the voice they do have - the political one. It's come full circle, from when people thought they had no political representation took to media. Now people have no media representation, they take to politics.

At some point soon, there will probably be a vote of some kind in this country. The same left/liberal brigade will come out all guns blazing, will pour all their hate and vitriol on people and politicians in this country. And then what we now call the Labour Party will be utterly wiped out. The next day all the memes will come out again. "I'm so done with this country" "England - you're just the worst" and so on and so on.

And at no point does it occur to anyone that they have contributed in a real way to the new politics. The blame will go back on middle class middle aged people.
    I have to say, 2016 has shown that young graduates arent a modicum intelligent as they think they are, as much as anything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    11,000 people voted for Harambe. What more can you say?
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This says it all for me.

This was a bit of light relief, no judgement passed whatsoever. People feel something emotional about this and it actually makes them feel better to post a meme or a gif. It's not pointing a finger at anyone directly.

However, I predicted right eh? And I predicted that correctly based on the fact that people voted for someone who said something that they wanted to hear, or that resonated with them. That felt like a change would actually happen, that would make their lives better.

I don't like Trump, like many others. But I respect that given the media circus that surrounds him and Hilary Clinton that he has still inspired confidence in his ability to be a leader.

I don't judge the people that voted for him, they believe that his leadership will help them and help America based on their reality, a truth that I know absolutely nothing about. What I am aware of is that nearly 40% of American households couldn't muster $400 dollars in an emergency.... that's how bad things are. That for me, reinforces why some chose to vote for the change Trump promoted.

I agree that it's all too easy to point the finger - I see all the self-centred remarks on FB with people demonising the American public and it upsets me - they voted for what felt right for them and for change, they didn't want to experience what they saw as the same political ******** for another four years. Same as Brexit.

For some it was also a protest vote.

Hope that clears things up and I'm sorry I caused offense here.

ReputationRep:
    "people who don't believe what I believe are bad / stupid"
    It's not pointing a finger at anyone directly
    We'd have a lot more respect for people in positions of authority if they had the intellectual honesty/humility to hold their hands up and acknowledge their own thinly veiled, hypocritical bigotry

It never occurs that this is exactly the reason that this series of events has taken place in politics, and it's only getting ever more acute
    Unless/until the above class of people do some serious soul searching, society, and communities like this, will indeed, sadly, continue to polarise. I’ve witnessed it happening on TSR over the years e.g. in relation to rejection of literal feminism, mass immigration, multiculturalism and Islamism, EU supremacy, and increasingly imposing dubious LGBT norms on people

The more the powers that be try to shove (pseudo-)progressivism down our throats, and smear, sanction, and silence seminal critics, ironically, the more they cement our suspicions, strengthen our resolve, and make up the minds of the undecided. c.97% of US media donations went to Clinton. That stat speaks for itself, in this context. Just as Brexit was, this was a victory for grass roots politics and Democracy, over establishment spin and status quo Project Fear

when people thought they had no political representation took to media. Now people have no media representation, they take to politics
    Nicely put. Clinton’s class of Crony Capitalist has stripped the average American of just about everything else, including a genuinely earnest, enquiring, impartial, and representative MSM. Both Brexit and the US election have broadly undermined confidence in the MSM and fuelled a big shift to alt media consumption (inc. TSR!), of that there can be no doubt. Hence, the security services have moved against outfits like RT/Wikileaks in recent moths, to attempt to stem this tide

The same left/liberal brigade will come out all guns blazing, will pour all their hate and vitriol on people and politicians in this country. And then what we now call the Labour Party will be utterly wiped out
    Correct, which is why May has repositioned so conspicuously, to try to stem the flow of voters flooding to UKIP. Those Corbynistas who actually care about the parliamentary process, and electability, are in for the shock of their young lives!

The blame will go back on middle class middle aged people
    You forgot to mention "white", "male", and some pejorative like "angry .. ignorant .. uneducated .. little Englander .. xenophobe .. racist". If it were any other (protected) group in society the media would be up in arms, rather than parroting this kind of "prejudiced" and "divisive" (not to mention wholly counterproductive) crap! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I caused offense here
    It’s decent of you to apologise, particularly considering what you posted did not, in and of itself, strike me as being inherently offensive. If only more people in the media/cultural elites were similarly introspective and humble!

ReputationRep:
    Great post foo

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.