Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to apply for Electrical and electronic engineering
    Thinking of applying to: University of Birmingham, Nottingham, Loughborough, Swansea and Leicester.
    I'm not sure whether to apply to the MEng or BEng.
    In my AS levels I got an A in geography, B in maths and B in physics (also B in chemistry which I dropped) but I'm hoping to push both those Bs up to As

For the University of Birmingham the typical MEng offer is AAA or AAB with A in EPQ
    for BEng AAB or ABB with A in EPQ.

I would really like to go to Birmingham and it would be easier to get into it if I applied to BEng. But then, on the other hand, I definitely want to do the MEng. I think I can transfer to the MEng as long as I'm on track for a 2:1.
    Not sure whether I should apply for BEng since it would be easier to get into then transfer or apply for the MEng since thats what I want to do in the end

On a side note, any ideas of what stuff I should do to add to my personal statement, extra reading ect.?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by marmbite)
    Thinking of applying to: University of Birmingham, Nottingham, Loughborough, Swansea and Leicester.
    In my AS levels I got an A in geography, B in maths and B in physics (also B in chemistry which I dropped) but I'm hoping to push both those Bs up to As

For the University of Birmingham the typical MEng offer is AAA or AAB with A in EPQ

I would really like to go to Birmingham and it would be easier to get into it if I applied to BEng. But then, on the other hand, I definitely want to do the MEng. I think I can transfer to the MEng as long as I'm on track for a 2:1.
    Not sure whether I should apply for BEng since it would be easier to get into then transfer or apply for the MEng since thats what I want to do in the end

On a side note, any ideas of what stuff I should do to add to my personal statement, extra reading ect.?
    If it's easier to get into the BEng then it's probably a safer bet to apply to it. Some universities automatically offer the BEng to those who fail the MEng requirements but still meet the BEng, but others don't and will reject you for MEng even if you still meet the BEng requirements.

Once you're actually in university it doesn't matter whether you applied for BEng or MEng as it's your grades there that determine which path you go down.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by marmbite)

Student finance wise you will have more flexibility if you start on a MEng than for a BEng.

Contact your choices and ask if they'll automatically consider you for the BEng if you're unsuccessful in getting and offer or the grades for the MEng.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.