Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know that the majority of people drop one of their subjects after AS, but quite a few people do keep all four, so I was wondering what some of the benefits are of doing that. Even the best unis request only 3 subjects - is it because some of the work in that extra subject may consolidate what they'll be learning in the other three?

I'm studying Psychology, English lang/lit, Philosophy and History, and I'm not sure whether to drop Psych or not.

What about you guys?

ReputationRep:
    The only point in doing 4 is that if one goes belly-up, it doesn't matter so much. If you do drop one, and most people do, make sure you carefully examine the A2 syllabus for each course first, and make sure you're dropping the right one.

ReputationRep:
    Do 4, you'll just end up wasting time in free periods otherwise.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would say 3 gives you more time to concentrate and get great results at A2. Since A2 is a lot harder and time consuming. What courses were you thinking about at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisRH)
    Do 4, you'll just end up wasting time in free periods otherwise.
    More like if you do 4, you'll have absolutely no frees left at all and you're putting yourself under far too much pressure. When you're at college you need some time to go and play pool, have a pint etc or you'll overload yourself. I know if I'd done 4 at A2, I wouldn't have done as well.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :ditto: I wouldn't have liked doing 4 - but then i was studying science/maths and the workload was huge, and my brain numbing after intense classes. The pint in the pub was a great help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    I would say 3 gives you more time to concentrate and get great results at A2. Since A2 is a lot harder and time consuming. What courses were you thinking about at university?
    I'm pretty much set on doing English at uni, but I find Psychology enjoyable, and slightly refreshing when compared to my three other subjects.

I'm not sure...I guess it's best to ask the opinion of someone who's tried juggling all four, and see how they coped.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd say it's probably best to take only three. I'm not sure how it works for you, but at my sixth form the A2 year is the most demanding not only because the majority of people end up resitting AS modules, but also because in every subject we have very lengthy coursework projects. If you're hard working and willing to give it 100% there's no real reason why you wouldn't be able to cope with the workload. Personally, I think it's unnecessary doing anymore than three when it gives you no real advantage when applying to university; doing four could be detrimental if you don't have the motivation!

ReputationRep:
    I did 4, wound up with post-viral-fatigue and regretted it, although my results were fine in the end. I thrive off being busy though, and be warned, that the amount of work that you have probably won't hit you really badly until revision and exams hit if you do stick with 4. Go down to 3, enjoy yourself, pass your driving test, do whatever you want, and don't almost have a nervous breakdown during exams, because you will have (theoretically) kept on top of the work during the year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. The general consensus pretty much seems to be drop down to 3, which may very well be what I'd do (even though that's at the expense of studying a subject that isn't necessary but one that I enjoy)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    do you enjoy all your subjects? Or are you keepign the other 3 because you have a specific degree in mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    do you enjoy all your subjects? Or are you keepign the other 3 because you have a specific degree in mind?
    Yep, I do enjoy them all (History to a lesser extent though), but I'm keeping them because I'm planning on studying English, and so I figured they'd be useful as essay-based subjects which develop analytical skills. Originally, I was planning on dropping History and keeping Psych., but after getting a high A in the former, I'm sticking with it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i don't know - i find even though you enjoy a subject you may not get the best mark in it, but you feel happier studying, whereas if its a subject you don't enjoy as much studying is more like a chore.

Congratulations on the A though!

ReputationRep:
    If you really really enjoy all four subjects maybe ask if you can drop in on a few psych lessons so that you can still enjoy the subject, but not have to worry about the pressure of 4 sets of exams. Not all of the lessons of course, because then you may aswell just do the A-Level, but maybe a few on topics that really interest you. Your teacher might allow this, its worth having a word if you like the idea.

ReputationRep:
    Oh do all 4 - doing 3 just ends up being a bit of a joke with all the free periods that you'll have. Even doing 4 I still had plenty of free periods and the workload wasn't bad at all. It's not even a case about whether you're passionate about all 4 - it's about not frittering away hours on end - get your money's worth! I for one disliked my history course with a passion - and yet I persisted because I wanted to prove that I could succeed in it even if it was a crock of ****...

ReputationRep:
    i considered dropping one, but i couldn't think of what to drop. i wanted to apply for english, so i had to keep english lit on, and history and psychology to compliment and show an element of contrast, but i really enjoyed english language -- so i kept all four on.

it wasn't that much work; actually, i did very little work throughout the year -- two to three essays overall in lit, i think two in psychology, and one in history, along with lit, lang, and psych coursework -- and i did fine. i'm glad i kept english language on, actually, because it became my favourite subject at a2, and it was nice to have a lesson to look forward to and do purely for enjoyment with no worries about grades etc. when, at times, i was loathing some of my other subjects and had to do them.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it also depends on how pressurised ur Uni Applications are going to be... I did Maths A2 in the L6th, and wanted to do Further AS but wanted to keep first term of U6th for uni appls/interview prep, so I did 3 in the first term and then effectively 4 in terms 2 and 3: this does leave u with almost no frees and with direct comparison there is def more stress but not unmanageable... i dno about ur school, but also note that some allocate more periods a week to each subject at A2 compared to AS, so ur frees will decrease even while doing the same number of subjects...

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths and Further Maths so want to try and do another two to keep my options open.

ReputationRep:
    well what are you're AS UMS marks like, for me I can get middling C's in 3 of my subjects next year and still get A's overall so I feel I can comfortably do 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelostchild)
    well what are you're AS UMS marks like, for me I can get middling C's in 3 of my subjects next year and still get A's overall so I feel I can comfortably do 4
    Most are mid-As, I think - 270-280.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.