Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find this newspaper absolutely irritating and ridiculous. I went to my friends house yesterday and saw it and the headline was something like "hospital of horrors", typical. Have they ever done a day without a sensationalist horror story on the front. And princess Diana is still mentioned practically every single day its ridiculous. To make it worse, almost everyone where I live seems to read it, do people enjoy reading about silly over the top NHS scandals and how "this country is going to the dogs" that much??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...i actually get angry if i read the Daily Mail....so i steer well clear of it these days! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but everyone seems to read it. Probably because its in the middle, not exactly 'The Sun' but no where near 'The Times' etc.

ReputationRep:
    I love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iTalya)
    I love it
    Oh no...:eek:

ReputationRep:
    It's just yet another very silly tabloid. It is taken seriously because it was once actually a broadsheet, and when it changed it had a well-established readership. Since then, it has just moved further and further to the right until it is now in danger of popping out the other side.

And iTalya please say you are joking... I had you down as a sensible person...

ReputationRep:
    My mum reads it, it drives me up the wall. I hate that piece of reactionary crap.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to accept everything you read. Why get annoyed by opinions in a newspaper. I quite like the Daily Mail, which is often (intentionally) entertaining. When I have time to read the papers I would buy it, a tab and The Times- more interesting to see a broad spectrum of opinion. As for Diana, I couldn't agree more, bloody bore reading about it, but the Daily Express is the worst offender on that account. OP- just out of interest which newspaper do you read first?

(Original post by Thud)
    My mum reads it, it drives me up the wall. I hate that piece of reactionary crap.
    Like this?

ReputationRep:
    Bloc Party have the right idea about it I reckon...:p:

ReputationRep:
    I find not reading it benefits me more.

ReputationRep:
    When is the world due to end again...? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pechorin)
    You don't have to accept everything you read. Why get annoyed by opinions in a newspaper. I quite like the Daily Mail, which is often (intentionally) entertaining. When I have time to read the papers I would buy it, a tab and The Times- more interesting to see a broad spectrum of opinion. As for Diana, I couldn't agree more, bloody bore reading about it, but the Daily Express is the worst offender on that account. OP- just out of interest which newspaper do you read first?
    I read the independent if I can but if im feeling really lazy then i'll read the mirror. You're right you dont have to accept everything you read, but a lot of people do, my grandparents read the mail and you sould hear them complain, it just fuels their pessimism.

ReputationRep:
    I actually "lol'd" at the part about the polish stealing swans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    because many of these "opinions" are not harmless, they do have an effect on wider society.

Example: the daily hate mail has repeatedly blamed Polish immigrants for apparently stealing swans from lakes (despite swan certainly not being a Polish dish) and last christmas there was a story in a newspaper of Poles stealing tennis nets then dregging the rivers for fish in order to make that well known christmas Polish dish of fish head soup! Fish head soup? WTF? beatroot =/= fish head.

It's a load of hate mongering rubbish
    Agreed. It's not just opinions, but it's the way they try and twist everything to suit their own agenda. Something that I'm reminded of is where they were campaigning against untaxed drivers using the road...and used one example where the driver was a foreigner, was drunk at the time and on drugs, and killed a child in the road or something.

Personally, i think it had less to do with them being untaxed and a foreigner, and more to do with the fact that he was drunk and high at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    I actually "lol'd" at the part about the polish stealing swans.
    Yes, I love a bit of swan with my fish heads before I go in the garden of my illegally obtained council house to play tennis with my new net.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to add this article into the mix, how can someone call their son a monster?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1879

ReputationRep:
    ha ha did u see that article they did about what to do if ur child was "emo" it was funny..
    It made my chemical romance quite angry as it blamed them as one of the bands "driving" the "new trend" (i personally found this quite funny as i hate my chemical romance)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why people go on about the Daily Mail. The Daily Express is ten times worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    I don't know why people go on about the Daily Mail. The Daily Express is ten times worse.
    I read them both today, and I would say the Express was not as bad as the Mail. They both peddle lots of bigoted *******s, though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.