Turn on thread page Beta

My teacher is wants to enter me to sit the higher maths paper..... ADVICE PLEASE watch

So I had parents evening last week and my maths teacher said to my mum that he would like to enter me to do the higher paper because "it's easier to pass than foundation". This exam will be the new maths specification and I would be walking into the unknown if I was to do the higher paper as apparently a level topics are going to be in the exam. I have always been a foundation pupil and would feel a lot more confident in doing the foundation paper rather than the higher paper. I'm not sure what to do? I don't want him to enter me for higher!

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose it depends on how important you think maths will be for you. If you do enough revision then doing very well in the higher is quite possible. As for the syllabus I don't think it will be as difficult as you fear it will be and I think you should make the decision more on if it will be useful to you rather than if you can do it or not, since I'm sure you are better than you think you are. Though I suppose that's my opinion. Maybe do what you're comfortable with would be a more diplomatic response lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go for it. I've actually heard that it's really hard to get a C in the foundation paper because the boundary is fairly high. In the higher paper, you don't have to do nearly as well - yes the questions are slightly harder as you progress through the paper but you don't have to do them all.
    Eg take the grade boundaries for AQA Maths last year:
    62/175 for a C in the higher paper (35%)
    116/175 for a C in the foundation paper (66%)

Imo, take a look at a past paper and get a feel for what it would be like. By doing the foundation you are limiting yourself to a C whereas you could get even get up to an B/A/A* in the higher paper - you still have a lot of time to improve so I think you can do it. Your teacher thinks you would do well in it and ultimately they know best, but if you really aren't comfortable sitting the higher, remember that a C in GCSE Maths is still respectable

(Original post by surina16)
    I think you should go for it. I've actually heard that it's really hard to get a C in the foundation paper because the boundary is fairly high. In the higher paper, you don't have to do nearly as well - yes the questions are slightly harder as you progress through the paper but you don't have to do them all.
    Eg take the grade boundaries for AQA Maths last year:
    62/175 for a C in the higher paper (35%)
    116/175 for a C in the foundation paper (66%)

Imo, take a look at a past paper and get a feel for what it would be like. By doing the foundation you are limiting yourself to a C whereas you could get even get up to an B/A/A* in the higher paper - you still have a lot of time to improve so I think you can do it. Your teacher thinks you would do well in it and ultimately they know best, but if you really aren't comfortable sitting the higher, remember that a C in GCSE Maths is still respectable
    Ok but I really don't want to have to resit maths at college

I'm not sure whether it's true that it's easier to get marks in the higher than foundation paper?

(Original post by JackT2000)

I'm not sure whether it's true that it's easier to get marks in the higher than foundation paper?
    Are you in year 11? How do you revise for maths?

ReputationRep:

You need less marks, but it's definitely harder to get the marks. Typically, the first questions of the Higher paper are the last (or close to last) questions of the Foundation paper, if that's any indication.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the specification online, for both foundation and higher tier. Are you on edexcel? I am also in year 11 and sitting the new gcse in 2017, I'm really scared 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you in year 11? How do you revise for maths?
    Nah I'm in year 13 now and back in the day I didn't really revise as much as I should have and got the kind of grades I expected to get.

For maths revision I think really understanding the content you've learned is more important than anything. So write down all the equations and methods. But also doing problems and past papers since maths is all about problem solving. One thing I'd say is don't count yourself out cause everyone has the potential to achieve whether they like the subject or not. (liking it probably helps though )

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.