The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Can I have a raffle fundraising event at my university?

Was thinking of holding a small raffle competition at my university as a one-off fundraiser event with all foreseeable profits (realistically only seeing a profit of £100 or something around that figure) going to the charity SCOPE.

As I am only planning on selling the tickets to students and advertising the event within the inner premises of my university I was thinking can I just go ahead with my plan freely or do I need some sort of external permission/license outside of my university to carry out this event as it's technically a form of lottery?

Similarly, will advertising on Facebook - but only to pages/people relevant to my university like the Freshers' Page - count as advertisement off premises and am I allowed to do this with just the permission of my university alone?

Any help on this matter will be much appreciated.
Original post by ImagineMonkeys
Was thinking of holding a small raffle competition at my university as a one-off fundraiser event with all foreseeable profits (realistically only seeing a profit of £100 or something around that figure) going to the charity SCOPE.

As I am only planning on selling the tickets to students and advertising the event within the inner premises of my university I was thinking can I just go ahead with my plan freely or do I need some sort of external permission/license outside of my university to carry out this event as it's technically a form of lottery?

Similarly, will advertising on Facebook - but only to pages/people relevant to my university like the Freshers' Page - count as advertisement off premises and am I allowed to do this with just the permission of my university alone?

I think it should be fine to hold the raffle without asking anyone external. You could always chat to your RAG society about it and get their advice.

Do you fundraise for SCOPE a lot?
(edited 7 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Read this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/consumer-rights-am-i-breaking-the-law-when-i-hold-a-raffle-and-give-the-money-to-charity-2157942.html

and this:

http://www.raffle.co.uk/legal-requirements/
Thanks for the responses guys, that helped to clarify things; will be asking the main volunteering service group in UCL to confirm just in case as well - hopefully things go as planned.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for the responses guys, that helped to clarify things; will be asking the main volunteering service group in UCL to confirm just in case as well - hopefully things go as planned.

Good luck! Hope it goes well.

Quick Reply