A-level choices?! Watch

purple_cloud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,

I was just wondering whether the A-levels I'm going to choose are going to be okay to take, because I'm concerned as to whether they are too irrelevant to each other. I'm currently in Year 11 but I have to complete an application by the end of 2016!

I'm thinking of taking:
- English Literature (full A-level)
- Psychology (full A-level)
- German (may just do AS depending on how hard it is)
- Maths (will probably just do AS)

I want to do English Literature at university, but I am thinking of also applying to do German with English Lit as well (but it all depends on how I find the AS).

I would appreciate some advice, especially if you have done/are thinking of doing English Literature at A-level or at university!

Thanks
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
I think those choices are perfectly fine, broad enough to give you options if you change your mind about doing English Lit at university but there is still direction.
SabbyCat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you ask me those are really good subjects to mix. At nearly all unis, to do EngLit you only have to have EngLit- only a very few like Oxford I think ask that your other subs are humanities as well. it is invaluable to have skills to be able to do arts and "human" subs like English and Psych as well as be able to take on Maths! I've done English at A Level and am now applying to do it at uni along with English Lang. Languages are also awesome and really interesting and hope German A Level goes well for you. Just remember though, ALL A Levels are extremely hard, not just German!
kylslntr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bxcks_)
Hey,

I was just wondering whether the A-levels I'm going to choose are going to be okay to take, because I'm concerned as to whether they are too irrelevant to each other. I'm currently in Year 11 but I have to complete an application by the end of 2016!

I'm thinking of taking:
- English Literature (full A-level)
- Psychology (full A-level)
- German (may just do AS depending on how hard it is)
- Maths (will probably just do AS)

I want to do English Literature at university, but I am thinking of also applying to do German with English Lit as well (but it all depends on how I find the AS).

I would appreciate some advice, especially if you have done/are thinking of doing English Literature at A-level or at university!

Thanks
english lit is a challenging subject which requires a lot of focus, as well as time so make sure that you pick subjects where you will be able to keep up with the high demands, also psychology is also great a lot of content but super interesting so in a way i advise you take an 'easier' 3rd subject to balance it out

i studied english,sociology,psych and philosophy and ethics last year
i struggled to juggle them all as they are all essay based so taking maths is a great idea and shows unis you have an array of skills
purple_cloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
I think those choices are perfectly fine, broad enough to give you options if you change your mind about doing English Lit at university but there is still direction.
Thanks so much!
purple_cloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by SabbyCat)
If you ask me those are really good subjects to mix. At nearly all unis, to do EngLit you only have to have EngLit- only a very few like Oxford I think ask that your other subs are humanities as well. it is invaluable to have skills to be able to do arts and "human" subs like English and Psych as well as be able to take on Maths! I've done English at A Level and am now applying to do it at uni along with English Lang. Languages are also awesome and really interesting and hope German A Level goes well for you. Just remember though, ALL A Levels are extremely hard, not just German!
Thank you! I ordered a ton of prospectuses and I shortlisted the universities that I like; I'm pretty sure that all of them just need English Lit for definite. Good luck with your application! I know that all subjects at A-level are a huge step up, but apparently languages are just a bit harder!
purple_cloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by kylslntr)
english lit is a challenging subject which requires a lot of focus, as well as time so make sure that you pick subjects where you will be able to keep up with the high demands, also psychology is also great a lot of content but super interesting so in a way i advise you take an 'easier' 3rd subject to balance it out

i studied english,sociology,psych and philosophy and ethics last year
i struggled to juggle them all as they are all essay based so taking maths is a great idea and shows unis you have an array of skills
I'm quite enjoying English Lit at the moment, and I understand how the fact that the exams are closed-text will require a lot of memorising on my part, although this year my exams are also closed-text so hopefully I should find a decent revision strategy by then! Also, considering how I also think taking an easier 3rd subject would help balance out my workload, I am torn between German and Maths, as there is quite a lot of content in both but I feel equally strong in both :/

Wow five essay based subjects! That must've been tough but interesting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%