Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are coming up, super spooky. Of course I want to aim for A*/A's and one book peaked my interest; CGP. They're banterous, comical (great for the undying anxiety) and do cover things I have learnt in my classes.

But are they enough? Of course I will be using other material for revision, I just worry that I may not reach my goal and wonder if CGP books are good for revision and hitting those desired grades.

Thanks in advance mates c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Semis)
    GCSE's are coming up, super spooky. Of course I want to aim for A*/A's and one book peaked my interest; CGP. They're banterous, comical (great for the undying anxiety) and do cover things I have learnt in my classes.

But are they enough? Of course I will be using other material for revision, I just worry that I may not reach my goal and wonder if CGP books are good for revision and hitting those desired grades.

They're very good but make sure you have a printed copy of the specification for each subject so you can see what is directly needed - only scarcely do you find that things are missing in CGP guides but you can never be too sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Semis)

I love CGP, they make revision bearable. However, I would make sure I used my notes from school and the full spec (not the condensed ones most schools give out). Also past papers are the holy grail to getting a/a* grades. Having an idea of the style of questions that are going to come up is just as important as the knowledge. Make sure you mark your papers strictly using the mark scheme as well. Lots of exam boards are quite fussy about the correct terminology, and that will be in the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I can have a rant at modern mark schemes for ages. Thanks for the replies, time to order some books

ReputationRep:
    Personally didn't really use revision guides at all (apart from for English Lit) but loads of people I know swore by CGP and said they based all their revision off those books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Personally didn't really use revision guides at all (apart from for English Lit) but loads of people I know swore by CGP and said they based all their revision off those books
    Any ideas on how well they did?

ReputationRep:
    I only used CGP for my A Level Biology and I got an A.
    I Highly recommend those books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Semis)
    Any ideas on how well they did?
    some very well - A*s pretty much across the board. Others, still did great (mix of As and Bs) but I think it just depends on how you use them. Do the practice questions in them and just have the specification open so you can compare the terminology etc (Eg. they may miss out certain keywords etc)

ReputationRep:
    My confidence is growing by each post, thanks

I have plenty of past papers and such, my mum is very focused on getting me revising. No objections though!

ReputationRep:
    i had one for history, maths and i had three of them for science and they were honestly great, as you have said before

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in GCSE physics by reading a CGP book for a couple of days before the exam.

They can't be that bad, my physics teacher was gonna enter me for the foundation paper at one point.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn't realise you were talking about GCSEs.
    YES DEFINITELY. I only used CGP books for my GCSEs as well as my A Levels and I got an A* (full UMS) in GCSE Biology.
    CGP books are honestly the best.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot speak for other subjects, but I teach English and modern languages and have been shown CGP literature cribs by students which are, in some places, just plain wrong. I have also written an angry e-mail to CGP recently because I have been using Functional English and SPaG with a foreign student. There are serious mistakes, and the English in which they are written is itself flawed. So, for English: stay well clear.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't use them much for GCSEs, but I did for A Levels and they were a life saver for understanding all the new spec stuff or generally things that you might be weaker on.

Edit: this was for the sciences btw
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Moved to GCSEs

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.