Turn on thread page Beta

Antidepressants for OCD? watch

Hi, I've had anxiety for years, I think I may have had some depression symptoms but that hasn't been diagnosed and over the last year or two I've had OCD symptoms. I've been to CBT for anxiety before but not OCD, I'm on a waiting list but I had a bad experience before which kind of put me off but I know I should probably try it just in case, but I'm not sure. Whenever I have a worry, a therapist can resolve it but then something else can come along, it's neverending. I wash my hands too much, I can feel germs on me. I panic and then have to wash, it's hard to think/stop sometimes. So I'm wondering if antidepressants could help so if anyone has been/is in a similar situation advice would be helpful, thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I've had anxiety for years, I think I may have had some depression symptoms but that hasn't been diagnosed and over the last year or two I've had OCD symptoms. I've been to CBT for anxiety before but not OCD, I'm on a waiting list but I had a bad experience before which kind of put me off but I know I should probably try it just in case, but I'm not sure. Whenever I have a worry, a therapist can resolve it but then something else can come along, it's neverending. I wash my hands too much, I can feel germs on me. I panic and then have to wash, it's hard to think/stop sometimes. So I'm wondering if antidepressants could help so if anyone has been/is in a similar situation advice would be helpful, thank you
    Hey there. Sorry to hear you are going through so much. Therapy is deffinately a help even if it won't fix things by itself so it's good you're giving it a go again. I tended to find that i'd have some dramatic event near te end of each bout of therapy. It turned ito a bit of an indicator that it had reached the end of it's use for then and I needed to take a little break. I think I just got too frustrated with it all after a while. When I went back tough it helped again so i'm sure it can help you again too even if you have had a bad experience.

ADs also helped me a lot. I tried a bunch of therapy before them and it never achieved anything long standing and mostly just frustrated me. After starting ADs though therapy was more managable and actually started to lead places and achieve things. I think group therapy was also better for me since I found the one-to-one more intense and being with people who could sympathise made me feel less isolated and more confident.

I realise my experience won't be the same as everybody elses, but i'll go through it a bit and maybe it will be of help to you in some way. I'll spoiler it so you can ignore it if you want.

Spoiler:
    Show

I had some level of OCD along with my depression and I think that the depression fed the OCD. I actually didn't work too much on the OCD and mostly focused on the depression. Once the depressin was less of an issue the OCD became much easier to tackle. While I dealt with the depression I focused more on not letting the OCD stress me out too much rather than getting rid of it. Most of my rituals weren't ones that were too intrusive to life- more just annoying for me- so I was able to work most of them into a routine to keep them in check and some of them I just kinda accepted for a while and didn't try to fight them.

I had some germ-phobia on a low level so always took handsanitiser with me so I could just use that if I got triggered. Since it kills germs I was happy that even if I still had things on me they weren't harmful anymore. That was enough to quash that and since that the germ-phobia actually stopped being triggered so much.

I had a thing with counting steps and food and generally anything in even numbers and I mostly just left that alone and let myself do it. Not fighting it at least meant that it didn't turn into anxiety and also gave me more mental strength to fight other things. I think you need to pick your battles and choose what to focus on first and for me that was bottom of the list. I tried to keep it to a minimum infront of others but a couple of friends were supportive so I let it out a little aroud them which also helped me to stay stronger.

Biggest issue for me in terms of rituals though was texture. My hands will feel umm... dry I guess and that really bugs me. It would get triggered a lot after using hand sanitiser or toughing things. I managed to find a moisturiser that stopped that feeling and didn't feel sticky (another texture that bothered me) so I kept a little pot of that on me at all times so I could use it. I also used it every night so I was less stressed and could sleep easier. This is actually the one things that has stuck aroud (although less bad) and i'm kinda working on trying to ignore it for longer periods to train myself to cope with it better. It's actually going on right now but i'm waiting until I finish this to deal with it.

The thing that I had most issues with was intrusive thoughs. Mine were rather different from the usual OCD type thoughs where "something terrible will happen unless" and were more just nasty thoughts for no reason. I'm not sure how much it was OCD and how much it was anxiety, but I think it was at least partially OCD related. I'd get thought where bad things happened or I was tempted to do bad things (probably the most ocd ones), but the most distressing for me was when I would think about something simple (like a sliding box going from side to side), but my brain would never let it finish. So like if the box was sliding to the left it would just jam in the middle and bounce back and whenever I tried to think it to the left again it would just jam. It's like being trapped in your own mind and not having control of your own thoughs.
    Interestingly, these just went away eventually. I never focused on getting rid of them so I think the ADs and therapy improving my general mental state just meant they didn't get triggered anymore. Until then the only thing that came close to helping was trying desperately to distract myself.

Looking back I think I had a small ammount of OCD most of my life. I'd do the even numbers and occasionally have urges. Back then though it was so easy to ignore or manage that it was more of a quirky behaviour thing. Once the depression kicked off it all became much more frequent and difficult to manage. I think now that the depression has died off the OCD has gone back to that minor easy to manage state and I can just employ some simple techniques to keep it that way. Realistically I should go get some more therapy to see if I can kick it completely, but I think right now I'm too scared or something. It's easy enough to deal with though.

Anyway sorry for the massive tangent. My point (if I have one) is that ADs helped me because they improved my general mental state and meant therapy was easier. I think OCD comes quite a bit from anxiety and depression and when they are less of an issue the OCD is a lot easier to manage. My method of ignoring it in the meantime may not be the best, but it's totally possible to work on the OCD in that time too.

Hope that helps you. I suggest you go have a discussion with your doctor and therapist about the option of ADs and the possibility of depression and OCD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.