Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I wanted to make this thread to keep an eye on my own progress, as well as share it with you guys - hope some of you will find it helpful or reassuring - just by looking at how bad I am doing - in your studies this year.

My GCSE profile is: 8 A*s, 2As.

My subjects are: Maths, History, RS, Economics

My AS grades are: A, A, A, A, with no virtual A*s at all. My highest UMS was in Maths, where I dropped an A* because of C1 paper, and therefore averaged just 86%.

My A-level subjects are: Maths, Economics and RS, because History was way too hard last year.

My A-level predicted grades are: A* A* A*.

Why do I want to get A*A*A*? I was very pleased and a bit surprised when I saw my prediction, and at first I thought that there is no way that I will ever get this, but then I saw this as a challenge. And this is why I created this thread, so I can once in a lifetime actually work hard and keep a record of what I have done, as well as share my efforts with you guys. What I think will make this a little bit more interesting is the fact that for all of my life I was a lazy arse - I usually just sit on my phone most of the lessons and only participate when I am interested, then two-three weeks before the exams I give it my all and somehow I managed to pull this off so far. However, I realise that there is no way I will be able to do that and achieve 3A*s, and therefore this will be my first proper try at working hard throughout the year.

Also, all of my 5 choices - except for Oxford, from whom I simply stand no chance of getting an offer or even an interview after my TSA - have an A*AA offer, and thus getting AAA will simply mean that I am not going into university this year.

So, here I will post regulary about what I have done, how my revision is going and how is my academic life generally. Hope some of you like it!)

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Your grades are incredible and good luck in your quest for achieving the top A-Level grades! It sounds you are very motivated and know what you need to do and I'm sure you'll achieve what you are looking for

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody, I though I will make a report on my current progress.

Right now I have already prepared notes on my Macroeconomics so far, which should prove useful for revision. I tend to make them if I do not have any prep for the following day, but sometimes I get rather lazy and do not finish them.Thus, my Macroeconomics notes are up to date, but my Microeconomics is lagging behind for about 2 or three themes. Anyway, I think that this is a rather useful thing to do, as I am a very messy person and tend to lose literally every single note I ever make in class - or at least it has been the case for the past 4 years. I do not possess a single file, which I have to say pisses my teachers off a bit, but hey, everyone learns in their own ways.

On the brighter side of things, I have gone through 4,5 out of 7 currently covered topics in M1 and made a substantial progress in my understanding. I have missed the first week and a half of the year, and although I did catch up in Economics and RS, maths kind of snowballed and right now I feel a bit (not a bit) lost in C3 and not as confident as I would like in M1. I have a plan to go through 1 topic every day over the course of the next two weeks, so hopefully by the beginning of the December I will be up and running. :angelwings:

Religious Studies are going well for me, as always, and there is not much to report - I do not make notes on the subject yet, as I never quiet feel the pressure to do so before hand for RS.

I feel like this is a rather boring report, but al least I feel like I am finally doing something, and if anyone has any idea please let me know. Feeling a bit like this, with me being on the right and my subjects on the left...

ReputationRep:
    What are the best book you recommend a level maths that can guarantee you getting an A (2017 exams edexcel boarder).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salah22)
    What are the best book you recommend a level maths that can guarantee you getting an A (2017 exams edexcel boarder).
    To be honest with you I do not think there are books which can "guarantee" getting an A. I think your grade mostly depends on how much maths you do daily.
    As for the topics covered, get yourself those CGP revision guides, they blend topics down in an easy manner.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i got a B in AS Economics (103/140) missed an A by 4 marks. Can you give me any good revision tips for economics as really going for A/A* this year in it for A2 and as i am doing new spec my AS won't count for anything. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Hi, i got a B in AS Economics (103/140) missed an A by 4 marks. Can you give me any good revision tips for economics as really going for A/A* this year in it for A2 and as i am doing new spec my AS won't count for anything. Cheers

Hi, I wonder if you are doing AQA, as it is my spec. I think I got about 117 out of 140, so I was not that far ahead of you.
    My revision tips for economics are rather simple - know your definitions and concepts first of all - you have to memorise them. I have a relatively good memory, so what I do is just read through the glossary and recall the definitions, until I get them all.
    Once you have done that, what really separates A from B is evaluation in your essays. For example, when you write an essay and say that overall AD would have increased because of consumer confidence increased, you might want to add - "but that completely depends on the extent to which the consumer confidence might be lowered by a predicted increase in the IR" and such.
    What is really important is practice - I write essays all the time, starting like 3 months before the exams - just get 2-4 essays a week to your teacher to mark, see what he says, make another one, correct previous mistakes, repeat.

If you do all of that you should be able to completely slay the exam. Some people also say that you have to be up to date with current economic situation and put examples of it in the essay, but that is more of an A* part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whasupman)
    Hi, I wonder if you are doing AQA, as it is my spec. I think I got about 117 out of 140, so I was not that far ahead of you.
    My revision tips for economics are rather simple - know your definitions and concepts first of all - you have to memorise them. I have a relatively good memory, so what I do is just read through the glossary and recall the definitions, until I get them all.
    Once you have done that, what really separates A from B is evaluation in your essays. For example, when you write an essay and say that overall AD would have increased because of consumer confidence increased, you might want to add - "but that completely depends on the extent to which the consumer confidence might be lowered by a predicted increase in the IR" and such.
    What is really important is practice - I write essays all the time, starting like 3 months before the exams - just get 2-4 essays a week to your teacher to mark, see what he says, make another one, correct previous mistakes, repeat.

If you do all of that you should be able to completely slay the exam. Some people also say that you have to be up to date with current economic situation and put examples of it in the essay, but that is more of an A* part.
    Thank you for your reply. In terms of the current data, i am okay with that as i study politics also so i have a good understanding of current affairs. I am AQA also, i got a solid A on my micro paper but my macro paper f****d me up ha. I am going to start using flashcards now to learn all definitions as i certainly struggle to define everything for example i know what the marginal efficient scale is but i would struggle to explain it. Are you doing essays already? I find it hard to churn out essays currently with a lack of knowledge in terms of A2 etc? I definitely need to start wringing essays in timed conditions as i currently do all of mine on the computer. Thanks again for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Thank you for your reply. Regarding the current data, I am okay with that as I study politics also, so I have a good understanding of current affairs. I am AQA also; I got a solid A on my micro paper but my macro paper f****d me up ha. I am going to start using flashcards now to learn all definitions as I certainly struggle to define everything, for example, i know what the marginal efficient scale is but I would struggle to explain it. Are you doing essays already? I find it hard to churn out essays currently with a lack of knowledge regarding A2 etc. de need to start wringing essays in timed conditions as I currently do all of the mine on the computer. Thanks again for your reply
    That is some good stuff from you then; maybe you just had your bad day on the macro paper!
    I did write some essays for prep so far, but did not start my "freestyle" essay writing, and do not plan to do so until about January, as I have my mocks in February.
    A flashcard is a useful tool; I am just too lazy to make them if I am honest. Anyways, best of luck with your revision and always feel free to chat with me here if you need any help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just a quick recap on what happened to me yesterday!

I had my Oxbridge mock interview, with two unfamiliar interviewers, and the interview itself lasted for an hour, so I think it might resemble the actual interview to some degree.

About the interview - well, it did not go as well as I hoped it would - although I answered economics questions quite well, and the interviewer afterwards said that I have a sound knowledge of it, he added that I might need to research the actual current affairs in economics. The politics questions were very generic, and the interviewer said that I clearly had a good level of awareness of the political affairs, but he said I would need more specific knowledge if I was to impress my interviewers. The philosophical part only consisted of 3 questions, all of which I blew more or less completely, as I never expect to be asked is Descartes relevant to the modern society or give a list of philosophers who would support minimum welfare benefits.

Thus, as you may see, I got a bit of a beting in my interview overall , but I do not feel put down by it - rather it pointed out to me what I have to do in order to succeed. I have another mock interview coming up in few weeks time, and I already came up with a plan of what I am going to do to make a big improvement. I planned on reading through the past six months of the Economist issues, make actual notes on implications of Brexit and Trumps presidency, as for both economics and politics, make notes on 25 philosophers and their key ideas - thanks the School of Life for their series, as well as quickly recap AS Economics and RS. Lastly, I will skim read through the AS politics textbook too.

Right now it sounds like a hell of a lot to do, but I always believed in saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going", so yeah, let's go!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.