Turn on thread page Beta

i don't feel like i should be at university watch

for years i have had depression, anxiety, and an eating disorder and this has really affected my grades at school.

im now at uni, after swapping courses 3 times.
    i don't feel like i should be here, as the pressure of the work is just too much for me and i am absolutely miserable, even though im not even at an academic uni.

i live away from home but in the same city as i didn't feel able to move far away due to anxiety.

my dad wants me to remain at uni but i just don't want to. i have always hated school and college and pressure like that. i have a weekend job as a waitress that i enjoy, i amsurrounded by friendly people and i can go home at the end of the day and forget about it, i'm not under this constant pressure.

a 3 year degree sounds terrible as i want to leave now. i havent made any proper friends, i mean there are a few people i talk to, but generally i am not a very social person and i don't like partying etc, most days i don't really speak to anyone.

when i havent done enough work i feel guilty that i have eaten as in my mind if i eat it needs to be for a reason, like i will need to have achieved something like my uni work. so it is messing with my eating disorder.
    i feel so trapped. i don't know what to do.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    for years i have had depression, anxiety, and an eating disorder and this has really affected my grades at school.

i don't feel like i should be here, as the pressure of the work is just too much for me and i am absolutely miserable, even though im not even at an academic uni.

i live away from home but in the same city as i didn't feel able to move far away due to anxiety.

my dad wants me to remain at uni but i just don't want to. i have always hated school and college and pressure like that. i have a weekend job as a waitress that i enjoy, i amsurrounded by friendly people and i can go home at the end of the day and forget about it, i'm not under this constant pressure.

a 3 year degree sounds terrible as i want to leave now. i havent made any proper friends, i mean there are a few people i talk to, but generally i am not a very social person and i don't like partying etc, most days i don't really speak to anyone.

when i havent done enough work i feel guilty that i have eaten as in my mind if i eat it needs to be for a reason, like i will need to have achieved something like my uni work. so it is messing with my eating disorder.
    It sounds like you should definitely talk to your university services, and any of your doctors that deal with your MH issues about this. Have you spoken to your dad about quite how difficult this is for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

You've got a job so you can support yourself, no one can force you to stay at university, and if they try to they should be dropped anyway as toxic. Talk to your parents and uni services, don't bother staying if you don't like it and don't get anything out of it, it's not the end of the world, and it's not like its free anyway.

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    It sounds like you should definitely talk to your university services, and any of your doctors that deal with your MH issues about this. Have you spoken to your dad about quite how difficult this is for you?
    hi i am sorry for the late reply, i just saw this. i have spoken to my dad, as i hated the last course and the student support services know about my problems. but i think i thought i would end up enjoying this course more as it is slightly more interesting than my last, but i still don't like it. i am going to speak to my dad soon again though. he basically thinks that i need to go as i need a structure in my life, i agree, but maybe this is not the best structure. i'd just rather go to work, and then forget about it at the end of the day and not have deadlines and coursework looming over me affecting my mental health.

thank you. i guess i find it hard to trust my feelings as i worry it's just my depression speaking x
    (Original post by Mr Gumbil)
    You've got a job so you can support yourself, no one can force you to stay at university, and if they try to they should be dropped anyway as toxic. Talk to your parents and uni services, don't bother staying if you don't like it and don't get anything out of it, it's not the end of the world, and it's not like its free anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.