The Student Room Group

This thread counts as revision, right?

I'm going to put it out there:
I'm terrible at revision.
There, I've said it. I definitely struggle to motivate myself to revise. I do it a few times a week, but often it's out of guilt. I'm no stranger to 11:30pm revision sessions, where I've calculated how many lessons of a subject I have left before June 2017, and come to the terrifying conclusion that that number is very small. Also, I'm prone to Oh God I've got a Geography exam tomorrow and I remember nothing type panics, during which I will revise for about 5 hours straight, then ignore that subject for about 6 weeks.

This obviously needs changing. I'm aiming for about an hour a day, maybe more on weekends until Christmas, then I'll see how that's going. My mock exams are going to be then, so they should give a good indication of if the plan is working.

And now for the figures.
TAKEN IN YEAR 10
- AQA Maths, A*
- Edexcel RE (Full course), A*

TO BE TAKEN IN MAY/ JUNE 2017 (Predicted Grade)
- AQA Maths (New 1-9 Spec) (9)
- AQA English Literature and Language (8)
- AQA Biology (A*)
- AQA Chemistry (A*)
- AQA Physics (A*)
- AQA Geography (A*)
- Edexcel Music (A*)
- Edexcel French (A)

However, the goal is 3 9s and 7 A*s. Not sure how it's going to work out, but one can dream. :smile:
Well good luck!

:h: I am sure you can do it. Must be a high achiever with your grades so keep at it.
Reply 2
UPDATE #1
So currently the whole regular revision thing is going shakily. Thursday evening was spent panicking about an impending French speaking assessment (note to self- maybe leaving learning the whole thing to a few days before is a bad plan?). Friday I was busy, and I returned home late. In effect, I did zero revision until the weekend. BUT I didn't cry during my French assessment this time around, so I'm taking that as a direct improvement! :tongue:

However, on a more positive note (in terms of revision), I did a load of biology revision for a test I have coming up. I now never want to hear the word 'photosynthesis' again, but hey, no pain, no gain, huh?
Reply 3
Thanks! I'll do my best :smile:
Original post by A.J.Rimmer
UPDATE #1
So currently the whole regular revision thing is going shakily. Thursday evening was spent panicking about an impending French speaking assessment (note to self- maybe leaving learning the whole thing to a few days before is a bad plan?). Friday I was busy, and I returned home late. In effect, I did zero revision until the weekend. BUT I didn't cry during my French assessment this time around, so I'm taking that as a direct improvement! :tongue:

However, on a more positive note (in terms of revision), I did a load of biology revision for a test I have coming up. I now never want to hear the word 'photosynthesis' again, but hey, no pain, no gain, huh?

Keep your updates coming. And keep at it.

Original post by A.J.Rimmer
Thanks! I'll do my best :smile:

Thats good to hear.
Reply 5
Wow.
It's been a while.
UPDATE #2
As is evident from the fact I last posted in November (oops), I sort of forgot about this thread. The reason for that is mainly because my "I'm going to see how 1 hour of revision a day works out" statement was waaaay too optimistic. Fast forward to mocks (last 2 weeks of term 2), and I suddenly realise there's more content in each GCSE than I thought. 2 weeks of cramming every single night, along with 2 sixth form application tests totally wiped me out. I didn't want to see another textbook again.

Moving on. Currently, the amount of structured revision I've been doing has been lower than I hoped, and I've got a couple of fairly large homework tasks, but they're all revision based, so I suppose I'm revising in a way. My school signed up to Vocab Express earlier in the term, and I've been aiming to complete 10 challenge thingies each day. I've been doing it for about 2 weeks (not on the 24th, 25th and 26th though) and it seems to be getting easier to learn the words.

I've also got a backlog of about 50 revision cards that I made during mocks that are only half complete (I do them with one side with questions, then the other side with answers), so I'm trawling through those.

Moral of the story is, mocks are hellish, and I'm determined not to have a similar panic in May. I'm going to try and make a proper schedule, and actually revise things I need to revise.

Oh, and happy New Year everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending