Wellcome Library or British Library? Watch

Cyclosporin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I have half term next week and want to sit and study for my Alevel mocks the whole week. I am considering studying at either the wellcome library or the british library. Could anyone tell me which one is better if possible.
hodobikar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The British Library, its absolutely geat!!
AmeliaLost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like the Wellcome more than BL. Quieter and less likely to have to share desks with people (read: you can spread your work out everywheeree)

You can't access the reading rooms without a pass so at BL you're basically studying in the hallway...
Cyclosporin
Rep:
?
(Original post by hodobikar)
The British Library, its absolutely geat!!
Do you need a specific reason to use the reading rooms or can you just register and go in?
Cyclosporin
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmeliaLost)
I like the Wellcome more than BL. Quieter and less likely to have to share desks with people (read: you can spread your work out everywheeree)

You can't access the reading rooms without a pass so at BL you're basically studying in the hallway...
Are you allowed to bring your stuff into the wellcome library? like bottle of water and pens which are not allowed in BL.
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cyclosporin)
Are you allowed to bring your stuff into the wellcome library? like bottle of water and pens which are not allowed in BL.
Yeah, there's a water fountain in there too (by the little cluster of armchairs).
Cyclosporin
Rep:
?
Yeah, there's a water fountain in there too (by the little cluster of armchairs).
Brilliant, thank you! btw what are you studying?
hodobikar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you need a specific reason to use the reading rooms or can you just register and go in?
you just register and go in as long as you're doing work/reading they won't care.
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Brilliant, thank you! btw what are you studying?
Left school a while ago but going back to start a-levels this September ^^" tbh I go there to read just because I'm a bit of a dork They have a really cool collection! What a-levels are you taking?

you just register and go in as long as you're doing work/reading they won't care.
Do you have a reader pass? It always seemed really fiddly to get one...(https://www.bl.uk/help/how-to-get-a-reader-pass)
Cyclosporin
Rep:
?
Left school a while ago but going back to start a-levels this September ^^" tbh I go there to read just because I'm a bit of a dork They have a really cool collection! What a-levels are you taking?
Biology, chemistry, politics. Applying to study pharmacy, neuroscience and biomed this year
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Biology, chemistry, politics. Applying to study pharmacy, neuroscience and biomed this year
Oh neat, neuroscience is where I'm aiming too! Where are you applying?
hodobikar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Do you have a reader pass? It always seemed really fiddly to get one...(https://www.bl.uk/help/how-to-get-a-reader-pass)
yES i do
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yES i do
Was it fiddly to get? The website seemed to imply there were really strict rules and that you had to have a little interview etc
Cyclosporin
Rep:
?
Oh neat, neuroscience is where I'm aiming too! Where are you applying?
neuroscience queen mary,
biomed SGUL
Pharmacy Medway
Pharmacy Uni of Herts
Birkbeck biomedicine
hodobikar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Was it fiddly to get? The website seemed to imply there were really strict rules and that you had to have a little interview etc
no not all. yes there is an interview but its actually just a discussion where they askfor your personal details and check your background etc. they are not really assessing you on anything.
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah cool. I thought you had to want to access specific material they hold or something, they wouldn't just let you use it for general study (It would get too busy if all of London used it like that etc).
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
neuroscience queen mary,
biomed SGUL
Pharmacy Medway
Pharmacy Uni of Herts
Birkbeck biomedicine
Cool. Good luck
Cyclosporin
Rep:
?
Cool. Good luck
Thanks, will need it lol
Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey everyone,
sorry I just saw this thread and thought perfect! I'm so fed up with the libraries around my area that I'm looking to go to libraries even one hour away from mine. I've heard the british library is really good. The only thing is, I don't mind registering for a pass however the reason why I'm going is to study. So when I heard you cannot bring in pens I though huh lol. I need pens, highlighers, post-it notes, felt tip pens and all the other great stuff lol so what do I do? It looks amazing and like the right place to study but if that's the case do they provide these resources themselves? I want to email or call to ask their rules and regulations on this. I don't want to take out any books or anything just use the place to study for A levels.
Cyclosporin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cherry82)
Hey everyone,
sorry I just saw this thread and thought perfect! I'm so fed up with the libraries around my area that I'm looking to go to libraries even one hour away from mine. I've heard the british library is really good. The only thing is, I don't mind registering for a pass however the reason why I'm going is to study. So when I heard you cannot bring in pens I though huh lol. I need pens, highlighers, post-it notes, felt tip pens and all the other great stuff lol so what do I do? It looks amazing and like the right place to study but if that's the case do they provide these resources themselves? I want to email or call to ask their rules and regulations on this. I don't want to take out any books or anything just use the place to study for A levels.
Did you email? Could you please keep me updated on what happens.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (76)
17.31%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (281)
64.01%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.78%
Not yet but I might (61)
13.9%

Watched Threads