Turn on thread page Beta

Minimum Core Vocabulary List- Does it have everything you need to know for the exam? watch

ReputationRep:
    The title says it all. For example, if I were to memorise the minimum core vocabulary list for a language exam, would I understand every word mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    The exams are purposefully designed so you don't understand every word mentioned (unless you're fluent). It tests your skills to contextualise words you dont understand into something meaningful. If you could understand everythuing, they could just give you a vocabulary test instead, much easier and cheaper

ReputationRep:
    Is this GCSE/A Level? I know some exam boards at GCSE have a set word list (of about 2000? words) which they can only use with you in the exam board, so learning that would be useful yes.

Otherwise, try and learn as much vocabulary as you can but accept you will not know every word that is presented to you. It's equally important that you try and recognise patterns of word formation (e.g. in German you can add keit or heit to the end of words to show 'ness' e.g. Traurig (sad) > Traurigkeit (sadness).

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.