Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i would like to buy 3 guinea pigs from pets at home and i would like a rough idea on how much they would cost. please let me know if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieve)
    i would like to buy 3 guinea pigs from pets at home and i would like a rough idea on how much they would cost. please let me know if you do.
    £20 each? As a guess

ReputationRep:
    You will need a decent sized hutch or cage. The bigger the more guineas you have.
    Well the hay is costly. Then you will need sawdust. Then food ie fruit and vegetables.
    And then you need toys for them to gnaw on to stop them getting spurs.
    Then you'll need a few bottles or dishes for water.
    Then insurance and if you want to get them chipped.
    It's not just the initial outlay of the cost of the animals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    From what I remember, I think they're about £20 each. I could be wrong, though. You have to factor in vet care, a hutch, toys, food, bedding etc as well though. Make sure you can afford everything before going ahead and getting them

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the price, but I'd really advise getting pets from an independent professional breeder rather than a chain. Some chain stores get their animals from rodent farms, which cram the maximum possible animals together into tiny cages with no toys or stimulation and treat the parents purely as reproductive machines. I don't know if Pets at Home does this because when I asked where they got their animals I was told they weren't allowed to say - but it's always better not to risk supporting animal explitation even when it means paying more for them in the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Guinea pigs will typically be similarly priced in all pet shops but I would advise phoning to see if there are any in animal rescue/rehoming centres first. A roomy hutch is essential along with guinea pig food (they don't just eat veg as I'm sure you know!) and a suitably sized water bottle.
    Personally I wouldn't bother with insurance for small furries or micro chipping as suggested above.
    It depends on where you live but if you have a dry place for storage you'd be far better buying a bale of hay and a bale (bag) of sawdust from a country/equine supply store than small quantities from a pet store. It will work out far cheaper!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.