The Student Room Group

It was funny when Trump won, but now.,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tetragon213
I'll give Trump a chance before I make any judgements, although I personally don't have a huge amount of faith. Mainly on his "Global Warming is a myth" and "Vaccines are dangerous" views (Anti-science views instantly set off alarm bells in my head). His anti-establishment stance I can get behind, but not his stance against the Scientific Consensus. Also, he installed a creationist as the Education Secretary. Let that sink in. A Creationist. Someone who denies evolution and believes that the world was created by magical sky-daddy. But that's an argument for a different day.

A world of symmetry produced by random mutations in each individual of every species. Gimme a break.
Original post by Aceadria
Surely anyone running for the most powerful office in the world needs to be an egomaniacal narcissist. You're delusional for thinking otherwise.

Power hungry yes, but no more. You must lead a pretty ****ing sad life with views like that, and behaviors like that towards others.
Original post by yudothis
Power hungry yes, but no more. You must lead a pretty ****ing sad life with views like that, and behaviors like that towards others.

And which views are you talking about?

As mentioned in my first post, still waiting for a credible, reason-based criticism of Trump.
Cool. Hopefully Trump won't backtrack on giving power to boards and not the government.

You think that's a good thing? Local school boards in religious communities are exactly the people who have been fighting to ram creationism down kids' throats. Of course it's republican policy to give them the power to do so.
And which views are you talking about?

As mentioned in my first post, still waiting for a credible, reason-based criticism of Trump.

Surely anyone running for the most powerful office in the world needs to be an egomaniacal narcissist. You're delusional for thinking otherwise.

I have already given you one, just because you think it's not, means jack ****.
I forgot he brought that nutcase back. She's downright insane. Also, I think Pence is insurance for Trump against assassination - Pence is so bad no one will want to shoot Trump for fear of letting Pence into the Presidency.

I think the secret service is insurance against assassination. They did a good job of keeping the first black president safe in a country where most of the gun nuts thought he was a secret Kenyan Muslim traitor. Trump will be fine.
Original post by abc:)
They come in as legal migrants, and stay as illegal migrants. If you build a wall, people can still come over legally, and then outstay their visas and never go home. So you could still see numbers of illegal immigrants rise, even if nobody crosses the border illegally.

There's more than one way for the illegals to get in. Granted, it doesn't protect against the way you mentioned.
Original post by Aladdinsaaane
.... no.

People know about the electoral college and they are saying that it is ********. Hillary should have won because that is what the majority of people decided.

The truth of the matter is that the Republi***** would be obsolete if it wasn't for the Electoral College. They would have lost all the elections since Bill Clinton, the popular vote always goes to Democrats.

The next time Democrats are in charge, they will seriously need to work to abolish this outdated, undemocratic system.

So your complaint is that you dislike the voting system and not because Trump got in. Shouldn't your issue be more to do with the rubric than Donald's win. The majority vote is just an irrelevant by-product.

Everyone understood and agreed to the system which was being used, so it's disingenuous to cry foul now.

There's no guarantee that Hillary gets in if the popular vote system is used. Given that it's an ENORMOUS change to the polling system, the two of them would have done their hundred million dollar campaigns a tad differently.
Reply 88
Original post by sleepysnooze
what quote?
why do you think I'm asking you? because you're not being at all specific, so I can't even give you a response to an imaginary quote

trump isn't my ideal - I am a libertarian and he is a...well...I have no idea. he's an anomaly. I prefer a politician with (good) conviction, but at least he has more conviction in his little finger than hilary does. he seems to have convictions of international realism and american nationalism. but that's not a unified ideology with respect to social issues locally (he seems to be somewhat liberal, despite his republican-esque presentation - he's pretty supportive of LGBT issues and he isn't a theocrat like the other republicans - I'd hardly even term him a republican seeing as he had no support from that party whatsoever).

2% margin - wow - quite a margin! and while brexit was won by 4%, people like you comdemned that as not enough?

the democrats were happy with a career politician - the other parties weren't...she was more unlucky for just being a terrible politician though.

yeah, that's a real quote, isn't it

the fact checkers at the huffington post

cba - I cba as it is - my PC is running like windows 98 right now and this is taking too much time to respond to.

okay, I'll wait for the evidence

yeah, that is kind of awkward that he had to come out with that at the white house - pretty much just wipes his whole history of the birther movement and his republican platform clean. not so much hypocrisy though when we know he's clearly *having* to lie. I mean, clinton said she would accept a defeat yet obviously she was saying that trump isn't fit to hold office - doesn't exactly sound like she'd "accept" defeat, saying that...very superficial

see, you're not actually talking about policy positions really. you're talking about his views on countries, or similar.

if you said that poor people are exploitable then what else are they? that runs count to the narrative of free market capitalism where each contract is mutually beneficial to all parties. ergo, there's no such thing as exploitation, even if the margins of profits are massively dissimilar.

Yeah, that was a real quote. Fact checkers at CNN, NPR, fact check.org etc. evidence...watch his speeches. Peaceful transition of power is something that the United States has a history of. It doesn't mean you don't want to win. What do you define as policy positions? He did promise to "drain the swamp" and then he hired lobbyists. He respects women but not their rights to their own body, believes climate change is a myth but admits "could be real." Exploitable means that often the poor are put a vulnerable position, not that their idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
I like the use of fact checkers like politico as proof like they aren't biased themselves, Hillary said that no American lives were lost in Libya and some fact checkers said that she was telling the truth completely forgetting that lives were lost because Hillary didn't do her job she was too busy chatting with friends rather than read security requests
Original post by joecphillips
Based on a quick google search it seems that the syllabus is set by a locally elected school board, the interesting thing is what will happen with the department of education as trump wanted to give even more power to school boards and away from the government.

He should abolish it, should never have been created in yje first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aladdinsaaane
.... no.

People know about the electoral college and they are saying that it is ********. Hillary should have won because that is what the majority of people decided.

The truth of the matter is that the Republi***** would be obsolete if it wasn't for the Electoral College. They would have lost all the elections since Bill Clinton, the popular vote always goes to Democrats.

The next time Democrats are in charge, they will seriously need to work to abolish this outdated, undemocratic system.

She wasn't the vote of the majority, just the plurality. People seem to like overlooking the federal nature when it's inconvenient to do so, people also don't seem to realise just how state-like the States are, all they're missing is a diplomatic corps, any state could secede already hack all other functions of a nation in place.

The other thing missed is voter habits in different systems. As a rule of thumb the swing states had higher turnout than the safe States, by about 10 points too. We then get that campaigning habits would be different, Trump dominated Clinton in Rural and suburban America, the cities carried Clinton, a popular vote would be Republican attention swing towards the inner cities somewhat to combat this. The map would be totally different under a straight popular vote and would not necessarily have been a Clinton win, I'll also point out 2004 did not see a Democrat popular win.

We could also make a similar argument about early voting, that it is essential for the Democrats, and voting without proof of identity. Oh, and you might want to pick up a copy of the constitution and read it, good luck getting rid of the electoral college when 26 states are entirely controlled by the Republicans and a further 6 have Republican controlled legislatures. Considering you need three quarters of states to ratify an amendment you literally need over two thirds of non Democratic legislatures to support the change, and that assumes all the Democrat controlled legislatures do, which I don't think is a safe assumption.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by Diego Costa
There's more than one way for the illegals to get in. Granted, it doesn't protect against the way you mentioned.

Yeah. it's weird that this didn't get spoken about more during the campaign.

It's almost as if the 'wall' idea was a populist one aimed at getting votes by giving people something basic and not-too-complex that they can easily visualise, rather than being practically and logistically sound and effective.
Original post by abc:)
Yeah. it's weird that this didn't get spoken about more during the campaign.

It's almost as if the 'wall' idea was a populist one aimed at getting votes by giving people something basic and not-too-complex that they can easily visualise, rather than being practically and logistically sound and effective.

It was mentioned, people just ignored it and so stopped being mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why Trump isn't fit to run the country.

[video]https://youtu.be/6eoo2oL2zLE[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
I have already given you one, just because you think it's not, means jack ****.

A personality trait that isn't even necessarily a flaw does not mean he's unfit to run. Try again.
Original post by Kraixo
[video]https://youtu.be/6eoo2oL2zLE[/video]

Oh, please. I asked for facts; not irrational fears.
A personality trait that isn't even necessarily a flaw does not mean he's unfit to run. Try again.

Acting in his own best interest rather than the country's, makes him rather unfit.

In fact, it is exactly that which can get someone impeached.
Original post by sleepysnooze
I'd take a corporate billionaire over a corporatist multi-millionaire anyday. at least the former made their wealth fairly.

Fairly????????????????????????????

SORRY???!!!!!! Either I'm crazy or you're right :colonhash:
Acting in his own best interest rather than the country's, makes him rather unfit.

And you know this how? Has he provided evidence of this?

In fact, it is exactly that which can get someone impeached.

Hardly. The power for impeachment rests entirely with the House of Representatives, and despite many in the Party disagreeing with him, it will take more than simply 'selfishness' to get them to impeach him and risk losing their seats (as Ben Sasse will most likely endure). Moreover, impeachment can only be carried out for an 'indictable crime'; regardless of your constitutional interpretation, nothing he has done up to now is grounds for impeachment.

Try again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending