Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's big, but not too big.
    Friendly, well, not violent anyway.
    Well connected for the countryside & the seaside, even has an airport.

Is there a better town ?

ReputationRep:
    as much as i love exeter, aside from the catheral, theres not much appeal to the town itself! its got a **** end of shops, with poundland, peacocks, pound stretcher and kebab shops galore. then its got the other end of the highstreet which is getting better because of the new princesshay thing, but only had like 6 shops worth going in... aside from that :s as for location, while, yes, it is good and near lots of beaches and other areas, i can think of better.

appeal wise, i think guildford and cambridge bode quite well in the coolest town stakes.

the emerald city? oh wait thats a city.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Exter seemed rathr samll when I visited it. It seemed a nice palce, but not somewhere I could live.

It is also very isolated down there and would take forever to get anywhere from it. To be the best town you need to be more central for better connections elsewhere (plus have a bit more going on, while still remaing a great place, full of character and history and being in a nice environment).

ReputationRep:
    Exeter's a city...

ReputationRep:
    It's basically a huge university campus; lucky locals.

ReputationRep:
    Katie Hopkins (from The Apprentice) lives there, not cool.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter always sounds quite cool, although I've never actually been.

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked Sheffield with the Millenium Galleries, fountains, trams etc, but the Park Hill Estate kind of spoils it by looming on the horizon as you arrive by train.

The Estate won the Department of Environment Design in Housing Award in 1967. Vandalism was soon rife and its inhabitants preferred to call it by another name: San Quentin.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Newquay must be relatively high on the cool list, other than rubbish transport links.
    I love Guildford, not certain I would call it the coolest but it's pretty good.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    London is the coolest city in the UK. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    London is the coolest city in the UK. End of.
    What's good about it ?

ReputationRep:
    What's bad about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I quite liked Sheffield with the Millenium Galleries, fountains, trams etc, but the Park Hill Estate kind of spoils it by looming on the horizon as you arrive by train.

The Estate won the Department of Environment Design in Housing Award in 1967. Vandalism was soon rife and its inhabitants preferred to call it by another name: San Quentin.
    Unbelievably, though, the estate was classified as Grade II* listed in 1998, so now it can't be knocked down. They're "redeveloping" it though, whatever that means.

Sheffield is an amazing city though, overall.

ReputationRep:
    London. Nothing beats it really, there is so much to do in London. Also, it isn't too far from the countryside either. The transport links from London are brilliant too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soc)
    What's bad about it?
    London - traffic jams, congestion charge, crime, terrorist threat, pollution, crowded public transport, expensive compared to other cities, little community spirit, chelsea tractors . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

I think Park Hills is brilliant. I've only been in Sheffield once, and it was one of the most impressive things I noticed, perched on the horizon like a modern (and similarly decaying) Acropolis. Good old Brutalism.

I wish there had been one city in Britain (one would've been enough) that had properly allowed the modernists in the 60s to go wild - and then just left it. But no... now every city wants to be yet more modern; no wonder it's so maligned.

(Original post by james99)
    Unbelievably, though, the estate was classified as Grade II* listed in 1998, so now it can't be knocked down. They're "redeveloping" it though, whatever that means.
    Pfft, redevelopment. Slapping on a fashionable fascade and being ashamed.

Of course it should be listed! The number of times great buildings have been demolished simply because they were either unmaintained or unfashionable is incredible. The architecture of the late 50s-early 70s may be a bit disliked these days, and I will admit it wasn't always best placed, but all the same that doesn't make pieces of history like this something to be embarrassed about.

Probably because I grew up in a village, I can't help but be impressed by structures such as this.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter isn't that isolated. 1 hour by train to Bristol, and another hour and a bit takes you to birmingham or 2 hours takes you to London. It's only isolated if you want to get to like, Leeds or somewhere like that.

ReputationRep:
    I grew up around Exeter- it's a nice place, as you said not too big not too small. It's friendly, cathedral's really imprssive and there are lots of nice shops (also lots of nasty ones!) When I was little I lived in a haunted house in the middle of Exeter- that wasn't nice!
    If Exeter were the coolest town (I think it's a city) in the UK I wouldn't have much to look forward to...what's Canterbury like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smashlite)
    . . . When I was little I lived in a haunted house in the middle of Exeter- that wasn't nice!. ..
    Sorry to burst your bubble but when you're dead you're dead. Ghosts are nothing but a good money-spinner.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.