Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Context: In year 13; doing Maths, Physics, and Chemistry

The reason I'm asking is because I'm applying to Physics courses, but I'm not doing Further Maths. Still a long way away but I was thinking after my A-level exams I'd self-teach a few Maths modules to prepare myself for Physics at university, which obviously contains a lot of Maths.

The modules I did at AS were Core 1, Core 2, and Stats 1. I'm doing Core 3, Core 4, and Mechanics 1 this year.

I assume all the Mechanics modules (M2-M4) would be good preparation, but what else? I doubt Decision, and Stats would be useful but IDK. Also not sure about Further Pure.

Thanks in advance!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Context: In year 13; doing Maths, Physics, and Chemistry

The reason I'm asking is because I'm applying to Physics courses, but I'm not doing Further Maths. Still a long way away but I was thinking after my A-level exams I'd self-teach a few Maths modules to prepare myself for Physics at university, which obviously contains a lot of Maths.

The modules I did at AS were Core 1, Core 2, and Stats 1. I'm doing Core 3, Core 4, and Mechanics 1 this year.

I assume all the Mechanics modules (M2-M4) would be good preparation, but what else? I doubt Decision, and Stats would be useful but IDK. Also not sure about Further Pure.

Thanks in advance!
    Mechanics and Further Pure. Personally I'd almost go as far as to say that Further Pure is more useful because of the differential equations, vectors and matrices stuff it teaches but others might disagree. Regardless though, Mechanics and FP is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Mechanics and Further Pure. Personally I'd almost go as far as to say that Further Pure is more useful because of the differential equations, vectors and matrices stuff it teaches but others might disagree. Regardless though, Mechanics and FP is the way to go.
    Alright, thanks. I've heard from friends that Decision Maths isn't like 'normal Maths' at all, but does FP have crossover with the Core modules?

ReputationRep:
    FP2 and C4 go well - FP3 basically has everything..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Alright, thanks. I've heard from friends that Decision Maths isn't like 'normal Maths' at all, but does FP have crossover with the Core modules?
    Decision was pretty much useless as far as I can remember. I would avoid it unless you absolutely have to take it. The Further Pure units basically build directly onto the Core units (FP1 builds on C1 and C2, and FP2 and 3 build on C3 and C4).

ReputationRep:
    Decision was pretty much useless as far as I can remember. I would avoid it unless you absolutely have to take it. The Further Pure units basically build directly onto the Core units (FP1 builds on C1 and C2, and FP2 and 3 build on C3 and C4).
    Thanks again, will probably just do FP1-3 and M2-4 over that summer then.

(Original post by econprospective)
    FP2 and C4 go well - FP3 basically has everything..
    Thanks. What do you mean by FP3 having everything though?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks again, will probably just do FP1-3 and M2-4 over that summer then.
    That's a lot of work you're giving yourself, do you really think it's realistic to study the equivalent of a full A Level in Maths over a summer? I think it's important that you get a break! If I were you, I'd skim over M2 (because in my opinion if you didn't have any big issues with M1 you won't find M2 too difficult either) and then focus on the Further Pure units because I think it will be of greater benefit for you to have a basic understanding of methods of solving differential equations and fundamentals of what will turn into linear algebra, than learning applied stuff. Mastering the basics is more important than mastering applications at your stage in my view. If you have time then you could look at M3 and M4 afterwards but as I say, focus on FP1-3.

ReputationRep:
    That's a lot of work you're giving yourself, do you really think it's realistic to study the equivalent of a full A Level in Maths over a summer? I think it's important that you get a break! If I were you, I'd skim over M2 (because in my opinion if you didn't have any big issues with M1 you won't find M2 too difficult either) and then focus on the Further Pure units because I think it will be of greater benefit for you to have a basic understanding of methods of solving differential equations and fundamentals of what will turn into linear algebra, than learning applied stuff. Mastering the basics is more important than mastering applications at your stage in my view. If you have time then you could look at M3 and M4 afterwards but as I say, focus on FP1-3.
    Ah yeah, I guess it's easier said than done. Especially at this stage of the year when there's not really any stress/pressure yet.
    I just didn't want to be at a disadvantage at uni because of my lack of FM, but I guess if the courses don't require FM I'll be fine anyways.

Thanks for your help. Just 3 modules of FP does seem a lot more manageable.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth taking the time to really make sure you really understand how to apply Newton's laws but other than that I don't think there's any useful preparation you can do given you'll be re-taught it all anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    It's worth taking the time to really make sure you really understand how to apply Newton's laws but other than that I don't think there's any useful preparation you can do given you'll be re-taught it all anyway.
    By applying Newton's laws do you basically just mean the Mechanics modules?

ReputationRep:
    By applying Newton's laws do you basically just mean the Mechanics modules?
    Yeah because that's all A-level mechanics is more or less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Yeah because that's all A-level mechanics is more or less.
    Alright, thanks for your advice!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.