Turn on thread page Beta

How do I tell my flatmate I don't want to live with him for 2nd year? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently living in a flat with 3 others (all first years). We get on well and go out quite often, but recently one of my flatmates mentioned all getting a house next year together. Nobody said no (which would have been the smart thing to do), but this flatmate doesn't realise none of us want to live with him in 2nd year. in fact, the other 3 of us have spoke and said none of us will probably live together as we all have other friends we are thinking about living with, but the 4th flatmate doesn't have many other friends (as far as I'm aware), and therefore we're worried about telling him that we're living with other people because he might think he can just 'tag along' with one of us.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him. But I know I don't want to live with him another year and I don't feel like I should have to just because I feel sorry for him. I don't feel as comfortable around him as I do my other friends, and he does a lot of things that irritate me. M

So basically, what's the best way of bringing the situation up with him?? I don't want to hurt his feelings obviously but people are starting to look at housing for next year and I feel like the situation needs sorting as soon as possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonblue98)
    Hi, I'm currently living in a flat with 3 others (all first years). We get on well and go out quite often, but recently one of my flatmates mentioned all getting a house next year together. Nobody said no (which would have been the smart thing to do), but this flatmate doesn't realise none of us want to live with him in 2nd year. in fact, the other 3 of us have spoke and said none of us will probably live together as we all have other friends we are thinking about living with, but the 4th flatmate doesn't have many other friends (as far as I'm aware), and therefore we're worried about telling him that we're living with other people because he might think he can just 'tag along' with one of us.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him. But I know I don't want to live with him another year and I don't feel like I should have to just because I feel sorry for him. I don't feel as comfortable around him as I do my other friends, and he does a lot of things that irritate me. M

So basically, what's the best way of bringing the situation up with him?? I don't want to hurt his feelings obviously but people are starting to look at housing for next year and I feel like the situation needs sorting as soon as possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    The good thing is all three of you want to move out, as otherwise it would be some obvious discrimination ;p. Whatever you do, don't have a gathering to discuss this in particular, otherwise your flatmate would feel rather uncomfortable. I'd say to pre-plan with your other flatmates to bring it up within a general conversation when everyone is around, however, do not be direct but rather just discuss your plans of moving out in the year coming. I don't know your flatmate personally, but it may allow him to rethink and he may want to also get on with his own progression and also move out. If not, kindly explain to him that you have already organised for you and your other friends to share a flat in the following year. It would be slightly unappreciative of him to deny one of your other friends the courtesy of staying with you, and I'm sure he will get over it if anything, he will have to learn how to expand his circles in order to progress with life ;p.

Best wishes.

ReputationRep:
    Needs an awkward conversation! Maybe when you are all in the kitchen, plan to just chat about offers to live with others and he will get the hint.

Whatever you do, don't string him along thinking you will live together and then back out at the last moment.

ReputationRep:
    'I don't want to live with you next year.' Easy.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.