Turn on thread page Beta

Managing my time doing A levels watch

ReputationRep:
    This is an extremely common problem but I'm really struggling trying to organise my time doing work for A levels and balancing it with my hobbies and my work. People have advised me to have a timetable for my homework but that isn't possible due to the fact that I'm constantly getting homework for the next day! Either that, or it's due in the next two days so the day I'll get it I prioritise what is due earlier...only thing is I'll leave stuff out while trying to prioritise all my subjects and I only take 3 (French, Spanish and Biology) but I'm drowning in work! Since September, the work that I haven't done I have to get up at 3am to finish off before I go to school and I'm so tired...I don't know what to do to be more organised; does anyone have any suggestions? They would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jend01)
    This is an extremely common problem but I'm really struggling trying to organise my time doing work for A levels and balancing it with my hobbies and my work. People have advised me to have a timetable for my homework but that isn't possible due to the fact that I'm constantly getting homework for the next day! Either that, or it's due in the next two days so the day I'll get it I prioritise what is due earlier...only thing is I'll leave stuff out while trying to prioritise all my subjects and I only take 3 (French, Spanish and Biology) but I'm drowning in work! Since September, the work that I haven't done I have to get up at 3am to finish off before I go to school and I'm so tired...I don't know what to do to be more organised; does anyone have any suggestions? They would be much appreciated

You're drowning in work? so you have a job and have to go to work?
    If you do, then it's really a problem I think because A-levels do take time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Caster)
    You're drowning in work? so you have a job and have to go to work?
    If you do, then it's really a problem I think because A-levels do take time.
    I work Friday evenings and Sundays. The weekends aren't usually a problem because there's no school so any work given to me on Friday is due at least Monday: it's really during the week where I'm struggling.

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is a really common problem

1) Try a timetable again - if you know that everyday you get homework for the next day then include that time in your timetable. It will help you gain some control over the situation and see in black and white how much time you really have. A timetable isn't just about homework it is also about revising your subjects, or reading ahead of your subject (especially important for Biology) - doing this should make your homework a little easier and quicker in the long run.

2) Use your time wisely - don't forget about free periods and school/college, or commuting time. If your time is pushed these moments can give you a valuable edge.

3) Don't spend longer on things than you need to - you have to learn when to stop. Sometimes (and I don't know whether this is you or not) students waste there time on ridiculous things that they call work - eg making maths notes for example. Or they sit down for a three hour study session but only do about an hours worth of work - there is a lot of staring into space, checking the phone, thinking about something else, staring blankly at the text book - STOP! If this is you you should employ the Pomodoro technique where you only work for about 20 mins at a time. It is a much more efficient use of time.

4) I hate to tell you that if you have done all of the above for a couple of weeks and it is still not working - then something has to give - either hobbies or work. Your A'levels are only two years and you want to give them your best shot, especially if you want to go to uni, give it your best shot even if it means sacrificing something else. There are exceptions to that rule - if your hobby is a sport and you are really talented and training for the Olympics for example - or you have to work for a tangible reason (not just saving for uni).

Wish you all the best - hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade CMinds)

1) Try a timetable again - if you know that everyday you get homework for the next day then include that time in your timetable. It will help you gain some control over the situation and see in black and white how much time you really have. A timetable isn't just about homework it is also about revising your subjects, or reading ahead of your subject (especially important for Biology) - doing this should make your homework a little easier and quicker in the long run.

2) Use your time wisely - don't forget about free periods and school/college, or commuting time. If your time is pushed these moments can give you a valuable edge.

3) Don't spend longer on things than you need to - you have to learn when to stop. Sometimes (and I don't know whether this is you or not) students waste there time on ridiculous things that they call work - eg making maths notes for example. Or they sit down for a three hour study session but only do about an hours worth of work - there is a lot of staring into space, checking the phone, thinking about something else, staring blankly at the text book - STOP! If this is you you should employ the Pomodoro technique where you only work for about 20 mins at a time. It is a much more efficient use of time.

4) I hate to tell you that if you have done all of the above for a couple of weeks and it is still not working - then something has to give - either hobbies or work. Your A'levels are only two years and you want to give them your best shot, especially if you want to go to uni, give it your best shot even if it means sacrificing something else. There are exceptions to that rule - if your hobby is a sport and you are really talented and training for the Olympics for example - or you have to work for a tangible reason (not just saving for uni).

^ THIS.

ReputationRep:

Hi jade, I'm also in 12 years. I'm struggling really bad with the workload so I wrote a Post on TSR. But lol no one has ever answered since.thank you so much for writing these 'tips on TSR. I'm not really good with timetables if I going to be honest. But I will try this. Also, when you said: wider reading - what do u mean ? Tysm yet again
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I work Friday evenings and Sundays. The weekends aren't usually a problem because there's no school so any work given to me on Friday is due at least Monday: it's really during the week where I'm struggling.
    So where are you having the problem then? Lets just assume that you're at college 9-5 every day (which I'm guessing you aren't). Work is not interfereing so we can assume you have from when you arrive home until the next day. Assuming you go to sleep at 10pm you've got 5 hours to eat and do your work.

It's unlikely that you are at college 9-5, even if you are you won't be in classes all that time. I remember my college timetable never finished after 4pm, I had several later starts and none of my courses ever required me to be in all day. More commonly I'd have 2/3 hours a day at college, making 15 hours a week which is average for 3 A Levels.

Assume you have 12 hours a day (9am unilt 9pm). Take 3 hours for eating, etc. You've got 9 hours a day, or 45 hours Monday to Friday. Take 20 hours for college (I added a bit extra for things like travel time, which you can still spend doing work remember) and that leaves 25 hours. That's 5 hours everyday, not even factoring in that you may wake up earlier or go to bed later than 9am/pm respectively. I don't understand how you are unable to fit hobbies and college work into 5 hours a day, especially when you mention that work is only at the weekends and doesn't factor into it. There must be something else here, either you're getting distracted or spending too long on hobbies or making poor use of your spare time at college or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I am having the same complete problem I don't even have time to make my homework the best they can be bc i always rush them.

ReputationRep:
    Hm yes a very common problem, best thing to do is start the work the same day even if you don't finish it. If you have more than one homework given on that day make a start. I sometimes started it in class too. Use your free periods, lunch and break wisely. Also the best way is doing it with your friends so you're spending time with them and getting the job done. Also if it gets too much tell your teacher or your pastoral manager, im sure they don't want you to feel stressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han-Mingi)
    Hm yes a very common problem, best thing to do is start the work the same day even if you don't finish it. If you have more than one homework given on that day make a start. I sometimes started it in class too. Use your free periods, lunch and break wisely. Also the best way is doing it with your friends so you're spending time with them and getting the job done. Also if it gets too much tell your teacher or your pastoral manager, im sure they don't want you to feel stressed.
    This is such a good idea, but I am a lazy really person at college I just want to sit in the diner and eat and I don't have much frees as I do 4 subjects and I go to work after college. the only thing I can do is put time in in the mornings and late nighters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hodobikar)
    This is such a good idea, but I am a lazy really person at college I just want to sit in the diner and eat and I don't have much frees as I do 4 subjects and I go to work after college. the only thing I can do is put time in in the mornings and late nighters.
    Hm well it's hard when you want to balance work, study and being social but it's just finding the method that works and don't worry most people go through this.
    Like for me as well I had my Alevels to balance (Maths, Biology, Phyics and Further Maths), and then on the weekends I had a 16hour shift crammed into two days and it was pretty hard. But I knew my studies needed to be a priority and I'm too lazy to wake up early, and all nighters can leave you drained for college the next day and you lose focus and don't concentrate.

ReputationRep:

Thank you so muchfor taking the time out to write a constructive answer for me! It's a lot to take on board but I'll try the timetable again and I would give up playing the flute (my hobby)
    apart from it's the only thing I'm half decent at... I'll consider giving up my job if it doesn't work out anyway, thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    So where are you having the problem then? Lets just assume that you're at college 9-5 every day (which I'm guessing you aren't). Work is not interfereing so we can assume you have from when you arrive home until the next day. Assuming you go to sleep at 10pm you've got 5 hours to eat and do your work.

It's unlikely that you are at college 9-5, even if you are you won't be in classes all that time. I remember my college timetable never finished after 4pm, I had several later starts and none of my courses ever required me to be in all day. More commonly I'd have 2/3 hours a day at college, making 15 hours a week which is average for 3 A Levels.

Assume you have 12 hours a day (9am unilt 9pm). Take 3 hours for eating, etc. You've got 9 hours a day, or 45 hours Monday to Friday. Take 20 hours for college (I added a bit extra for things like travel time, which you can still spend doing work remember) and that leaves 25 hours. That's 5 hours everyday, not even factoring in that you may wake up earlier or go to bed later than 9am/pm respectively. I don't understand how you are unable to fit hobbies and college work into 5 hours a day, especially when you mention that work is only at the weekends and doesn't factor into it. There must be something else here, either you're getting distracted or spending too long on hobbies or making poor use of your spare time at college or whatever.
    With all due respect, I do make use of my frees and the time I have at home. You are implying that I'm too lazy to do my work perhaps...? Taking two languages was probably not a very good decision but they're what I'm good at so I spend hours memorising my lists of vocab and reading around the themes we do plus the revision and work for Biology...

ReputationRep:
    Shame you can't develop a time machine with them choices...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so muchfor taking the time out to write a constructive answer for me! It's a lot to take on board but I'll try the timetable again and I would give up playing the flute (my hobby)
    apart from it's the only thing I'm half decent at... I'll consider giving up my job if it doesn't work out anyway, thank you again!
    If you don't want to give up your job completely you could always get rid of either the Friday or the Sunday. If you enjoy playing the flute then I would say ditch the job first, you can always get summer work after your A Levels.
    Hope things work out alright for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppyb787)
    If you don't want to give up your job completely you could always get rid of either the Friday or the Sunday. If you enjoy playing the flute then I would say ditch the job first, you can always get summer work after your A Levels.
    Hope things work out alright for you
    I actually don't like playing the flute it just so happens I'm ok at it so nobody will let me quit haha, but thank you anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths is Life)
    Shame you can't develop a time machine with them choices...
    Haha I wish !
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    With all due respect, I do make use of my frees and the time I have at home. You are implying that I'm too lazy to do my work perhaps...? Taking two languages was probably not a very good decision but they're what I'm good at so I spend hours memorising my lists of vocab and reading around the themes we do plus the revision and work for Biology...
    I apologise if I've offended you, that absolutely wasn't my intention and I'm sorry if my post seemed very abrupt. I wasn't trying to insinuate that you're lazy either.

From my experience I just don't understand how anyone except those with exceptional circumstances (e.g. carers) could struggle with finding time to do college work. I spent 4 years at college, taking a BTEC and Maths in my first two years (the BTEC requiring a lot of coursework to be completed) and Psychology, Graphics and Computing in my second 2 years (Psychology has a ton of content to learn and my teacher was awful for Computing so I taught myself the entire syllabus). Alongside this I also worked during the week for a minimum of 12 hours and still had time to pursue hobbies and relax. I very rarely had to touch college work at the weekend. I knew plenty of people that didn't have jobs and so on, meaning they'd have even more free time.

This is an attempt to blow my own horn, I just simply don't understand how you don't have the time, especially with the numbers I gave before. I could theorise and say that maybe you're learning inefficiently, or you're procastinating/getting distracted, or you're focusing on the wrong things, or whatever. Only you know if any of these, or something else is the issue.

Ultimately we all have the same 24 hours in a day. Some people use their time efficiently and others don't. Some people simply have far more work to do than others. The problem is you've given no indication of what exactly the issue is. You mentioned that you do 3 subjects (none of which I'm familiar with so can't comment on the work load) and struggle to balance that with hobbies and work. You also mentioned that work isn't affecting it since you work Firday evenings and Sunday. So the only things we have to go on are that you're doing 3 subjects and can't balance the workload with your hobbies. What I'm asking is why not? What specifically in your situation is preventing you from balancing when plenty of other people have no trouble?

I again apolgise, since I'm sure that sounds like I'm having an unnecessary dig at you. You have a problem that not everyone has and the first stop to solving that problem is to recognise what it is that's causing the problem in the first place. The easiest way to do that is to identify where your time is going. Like I said before there's a fixed amount of time each day. Get a piece of paper or start up Excel and draw up an hour by hour planner for each day. Fill it in from when you wake up to when you sleep with eveyr guaranteed event that takes up your time. You might have something like this:

7-8: Wake up / breakfast / get ready for college
    8-9: Wake up / breakfast / get ready for college / travel to college
    9-10: Class
    10-11: Class
    11-12:
    12-13: Lunch
    13-14: Class
    14-15: Class
    15-16: Travel home
    16-17:
    17-18: Homework
    18-19: Dinner
    19-20: Homework
    20-21: Hobby
    21-22:
    22-23: Sleep

From this you should be able to identify just what free time you have, where you are spending time (maybe unecessarily) and genreally what needs to improve. Here's one of mine, although it is a little outdated

Name:  Schedule.fw.png
Views: 181
Size:  93.3 KB

I can look at this and immediately see where all my free blocks are, where I lack free time and so on. I could easily add in other hobbies, set times to do work out of class and so on. Keep in mind that while it looks pretty bare I'm expected to do around 6 hours of additional work for each of my units, which would be an additional 30 hours. I've quickly blacked out 30 hours worth on the timetable which just so happens to be every free gap between 9am and 9pm, Monday to Friday. So even with 42 hours of uni work, 15 hours of hobbies and an unreasonable 3 hours for dinner each day I still have pretty much all of my Saturday and Sunday free. I'm aware there are issues, for example I can't teleport to my classes (yet) and thus need to factor in some travel time. Same for attending my hobbies and there's no time dedicated to doing all the other stuff a uni student needs to do (washing, cleaning, buying food, crying over a lack of money and so on).

The key point though is that if I can spend 40 hours on classes and 15 hours on hobbies and still have almost 2 full days to spare then anyone can do it if they plan their time correctly.

So I ask my original question again. Where is it that you're struggling? Is the main issue that you're getting too much work with next day deadlines? Factor that into your timetable or discuss it with your teachers. Do your hobbies take up too much time? Do you need to scale back how much time you spend on them? Are you finding specific work difficult, meaning it takes longer than you expect? Are you getting distracted? (I've been on TSR for an hour when I should be doing some work and I got up much later than usual, 9 instead of 6. I've mostly wasted the morning).

If you can identify what causes the problem you can take steps to actively change it. I hope that helps and apologise in advance for anything that sounds elitist, snarky or in any other way could offend. And good luck with your A Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_Hope_X)
    Hi jade, I'm also in 12 years. I'm struggling really bad with the workload so I wrote a Post on TSR. But lol no one has ever answered since.thank you so much for writing these 'tips on TSR. I'm not really good with timetables if I going to be honest. But I will try this. Also, when you said: wider reading - what do u mean ? Tysm yet again
    By wider reading I mean reading around your subject - so for example - if you have done everything you have to do for school but still have a study spot free then read ahead of your subjects. I'm really thinking from a science point of view if I'm honest but I can imagine the same applies in other subject - for example maybe reading around (any thing other than the text book) a period of time you are studying, or youtubing some concepts you didn't fully understand. There is always something productive that you could be doing - especially at the beginning half of the school year when the work load is less intense.

ReputationRep:
    Eh I would recommend putting your A Levels at the top, and working Friday's and Sunday's may not be a good idea because weekends is when you're supposed to be able to rest and catch up on stuff you may not have had time to do during the week. Possibly consider getting a zero hour contract/casual job e.g. at a stadium or something so that you can choose when to work and this should allow you to balance much better. I'm not sure where you live of course but if it's a city then you're bound to have a football or rugby stadium and they always have jobs (I work in Fulham FC) as long as they're decent sized, usually run by one of two companies (Compass Event Jobs or Delaware North).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.