Turn on thread page Beta

Should I have said thankyou at a zebra crossing? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was at a zebra crossig and i crossed the road after both cars stopped for me. I used to always do a nod or wave as a gesture of giving thanks, but I stopped after someone told me it was my right of way and that the driver has to let me cross by law. Anyways i cross and one of the drivers says a thankyou would be nice in the morning and I just walk away because I need to catch the bus (i'm on it now). Usually at any other crossing i would give thanks but at a zebra crossing it is the driver's duty to stop so why should i give thanks to him for following the law? Also it's too cold to get my hand out my pockets for him to be satisfied lol.

Thoughts? Do you give thanks at zebra crossings?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    I was at a zebra crossig and i crossed the road after both cars stopped for me. I used to always do a nod or wave as a gesture of giving thanks, but I stopped after someone told me it was my right of way and that the driver has to let me cross by law. Anyways i cross and one of the drivers says a thankyou would be nice in the morning and I just walk away because I need to catch the bus (i'm on it now). Usually at any other crossing i would give thanks but at a zebra crossing it is the driver's duty to stop so why should i give thanks to him for following the law? Also it's too cold to get my hand out my pockets for him to be satisfied lol.

I usually do; partially just to prevent that scenario, and partially because I know how frustrating it is to have to stop when you're in a rush

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I always do that, I put my hand out to say thanks. I thought it was only me doing that until you created this thread

ReputationRep:
    A simple acknowledgement by hand or a nod or a smile to the driver just brightens someone's day a tiny, tiny bit for absolutely no effort. That in itself has to be worth doing. I think it also makes you feel better too.

There's quite enough of people aggressively driving in their tin cans relatively oblivious to people around them - cars have this peculiarly 'insulating' effect. I think for a pedestrian to acknowledge the driver, regardless of whose legal right of way it is, is rather nice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for not running me over? He should not expect a thanks for following the law. Whether i give thanks is up to me

ReputationRep:
    a quick smile and hand gesture takes half a second... it is these little things that make life easier.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that it's the law she has to stop is true but irrelevant. It is still polite to say thank you. For me, it's usually a half raise of the hand or a perfunctory nod with eye contact.

It's still polite to thank the bus driver even though it's their job.

It's still polite to thank the waiter when he brings you your meal (in fact it's weird not to).

Some people are just socially inept.

ReputationRep:
    If the driver seems impatient (i.e. revving engine, creeping slowly across), screw them. But if you can see a conscious effort to let you go (like stopping when they probably would have been able to make it across in time) an acknowledgement of that is nice.

I tend to do the 'thank-you-wave-scurry-across-sheepishly' thing by default unless someone is like the former. It's just politeness and keeps the world chugging along.

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect a thanks when I'm driving and stop a bit before the junction to let people cross safely, or when I stop for a zebra crossing, but I always give a wave when I'm the one crossing the road.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for not running me over? He should not expect a thanks for following the law. Whether i give thanks is up to me
    You may have right of way, but you're also being a minor inconvenience to the driver. I wave as a gesture of thanks, but also as a way of saying sorry, especially if a line of people start crossing after me.

ReputationRep:
    I always do but the reaction you got was common amongst many drivers who, after all are a high proportion of entitled P####s with sociopathic tendencies.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I always give a heaving and waving hand as a gesture to say thank you, no matter what the season is. If it is too cold, I just wearing gloves. This gesture is polite enough to thank the driver for stopping at a zebra crossing.

ReputationRep:
    I would say thanks. A lot of people don't give way at zebra crossings so I think it's polite to acknowledge you appreciate the driver stopping. Plus, why not be friendly/nice? it brightens everyone's day
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ak143244)
    Yeah. I always do that, I put my hand out to say thanks. I thought it was only me doing that until you created this thread
    Thought the same, as I have not seen people with this kind of gesture when walking over at zebra crossing. Not in my surrounding at least.

(Original post by the bear)
    a quick smile and hand gesture takes half a second... it is these little things that make life easier.
    That is right. It is a gesture which makes the life more personal. It is like being part of community instead of anonymous strangers.

ReputationRep:
    Whether i give thanks is up to me
    You are quite correct. It is also up to you whether you want to be a friendly human being who acknowledges that someone has put themselves out for you (even though the law says they should) or an entitled arse.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's polite to nod or wave.

It's VERY rude for a driver to have a go for not doing that....there's all sorts of reasons why someone might not be able to nod/wave.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 50s and grew up in a world where it was a given that pedestrians had right of way on a zebra crossing and that an acknowledgement for stopping wasn't required. This has changed as roads became busier. Zebra crossings appear to be "advisory" for drivers in my area - they occasionally just don't bother stopping at all. So as a pedestrian I give a nod of thanks to drivers who do stop, but as a driver of the old school, I don't expect one from pedestrians when roles are reversed and I wouldn't dream of getting angry that it didn't happen.

Just seems to have been a change of etiquette brought on by an increase in stressed, inconsiderate or arsey drivers. A quick nod as a pedestrian costs me nothing, doesn't slow me down and potentially defuses a road rage situation.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.