Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm just looking for other opinions about this :
    My test is really soon and my instructor, who I've been learning with for the past year or so on and off wants me to do 4 hour long lessons until my test date, as he says I need more practice now and that if I drive for longer the test will seem easier as I'll be used to long drives and can practice manoeuvers more.

Does it seem like a good idea? Aside from the obvious insane cost of this, I get his thinking about practicing and seeing more road situations but feel like it's really unrealistic as after about 3 hours my concentration is completely gone and I am just too tired and start making silly mistakes, which I don't think I can learn anything from as it's just from tiredness! I've tried to explain that to him but he says I am his first student to ever be tired from it and that tiredness is not an excuse for making mistakes?!

Help!!

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Yes, its a good idea. However think about eat when you are studying you don't study for 4 hours straight, you have a break to avoid being tired or bored so just stop the car in between each hour and get a break/rest and eat something. Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hodobikar)
    Yes, its a good idea. However think about eat when you are studying you don't study for 4 hours straight, you have a break to avoid being tired or bored so just stop the car in between each hour and get a break/rest and eat something. Good luck!!!
    ok..I will have to ask him for breaks and see how that goes.
    Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't drive for four hours straight in any real-world situation anyway, so no. 4 hours is not realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    You shouldn't drive for four hours straight in any real-world situation anyway, so no. 4 hours is not realistic.
    That's what I was thinking but he said that 4 hours with doing manoeuvers in between and not all the time on major roads does not compare to four hours driving in real life...still sound tiring to me especially as you have to use more concentration on manoeuvers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bayou)
    That's what I was thinking but he said that 4 hours with doing manoeuvers in between and not all the time on major roads does not compare to four hours driving in real life...still sound tiring to me especially as you have to use more concentration on manoeuvers.
    He just wants the money
    No driving instructor should recommend that to be honest
    You don't have to do it, tell him no. You know yourself better than he does!

ReputationRep:
    No, 2 hours is the most you should ever be doing. He just wants some more cash for Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks for your opinions.. I will have a word with him, I also think he should respect my limits as it's not safe to do otherwise.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I did 2 hour lessons for a while, but I don't think it was worth it. If I was having a bad day, I would be bad for the whole 2 hours. One four hour lesson might be useful if you plan on doing a lot of long distance driving, but otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.

ReputationRep:
    i don;t know many good drivign instructors who have the tiem to offer students regular 4 hour lessons ( as realistically this means s/he has at most a dozen students , rather than 20 - 30 )

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.