Turn on thread page Beta

Is it better to buy lots of cheap clothes, or expensive but less clothes? watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

As a guy, I'd always purchase cheaper clothes from places like TopMan or Next or Primark.

Going out to clubs, girls wouldn't even give me a looking.

I have always saved up, I have an ISA, the only outgoings are food, my rent/keep whatever you call it haha to my Mum, and my phone contract. Plus bus fare or if I go out now and again.

Recently, I've started buying things from Jack Wills or Ralph Lauren.

I got a really nice Winter jumper from Jack Wills... £55. Really nice, no "Jack Wills" written on it except for just a small version of their logo, but I've never paid that much for a jumper. Probably £20 or so before. I also bought some jeans. In the past I've bought jeans for £6 in Primark. I got some Jack Wills ones... £60.

I went out last Friday, I wore the new jeans, a white shirt, and the grey Jack Wills jumper.

I had so many looks and smiles that evening. It made me feel happy and I just felt so much more confident (I'm not confident at all).

So instead of say buying 2 or 3 cheaper jumpers, should I start buying say 1 expensive jumper?

What do you think? What do you do?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    What do you think?

As a guy, I'd always purchase cheaper clothes from places like TopMan or Next or Primark.

I have always saved up, I have an ISA, the only outgoings are food, my rent/keep whatever you call it haha to my Mum, and my phone contract. Plus bus fare or if I go out now and again.

I got a really nice Winter jumper from Jack Wills... £55. Really nice, no "Jack Wills" written on it except for just a small version of their logo, but I've never paid that much for a jumper. Probably £20 or so before. I also bought some jeans. In the past I've bought jeans for £6 in Primark. I got some Jack Wills ones... £60.

I went out last Friday, I wore the new jeans, a white shirt, and the grey Jack Wills jumper.

I had so many looks and smiles that evening. It made me feel happy and I just felt so much more confident (I'm not confident at all).

So instead of say buying 2 or 3 cheaper jumpers, should I start buying say 1 expensive jumper?

When I'm short of clothes, I will buy as cheap as I can because I just can't afford to pay more than the minimum. I don't actually tend to buy more expensive clothes. I pay £25 for jeans, because they look nice and the quality is good, but that's about it. If you can afford to spend more on less, and you'll still have enough clothes, then go for it. If it makes you feel better and stuff, there's no harm in it

ReputationRep:
    TBH I buy less, expensive clothes but it depends on your budget

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for less expensive as the quality tends to be better overall

ReputationRep:
    i rather have loads of cheap clothes because then it wouldnt look like im wearing the same few clothes. I like shopping in places like primark and matalan- too broke to go to expensive places

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest to mix the highs and lows perhaps. It is better to invest in good quality expensive ones than cheap quality cheap priced.

For one, it's just inferior quality wise and people can usually tell (it does play a part in how people view you at a first glance). You will have to buy new ones sooner. But I understand living on a student budget isn't easy so mix it up a little. When able, spend a little more and shop at cheaper places when it's not an option.

If you are interested in being eco friendly, it's best to buy fewer clothing as a lot of wastage in terms of natural resources go into the making of these products. I really am against this trend of fast cheap fashion, it's very detrimental to the socio-eco system. I know most people don't really care about this but it's something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    As a guy, always better to buy fewer but better quality clothes. I never get this thing about needing to look like you have lots of clothes but I think its more of a girl thing anyway.

In reality when you move out of your parents, you will have very limited space, so you need to have a limited wardrobe. So think about building up a wardrobe around a small number of quality items: a few key pieces of outerwear, some nice knitwear and collared shirts, a couple of polos, t-shirts, some quality jeans, chinos and smart trousers plus shoes. If you look well dressed but have a fairly consistent style built around a few items then it projects a good solid style image. Also look for timeless quality rather than fashion chasing. Fashion chasing is harder to do right and is more expensive and takes up more space in terms of having loads of different clothes, whilst following timeless men's style looks more masculine.

ReputationRep:
    Get lots, but much sure the shape is good and you cut a clean look.

For guys, watches and shoes are the only things where you shouldn't compromise on quality, anyone who actually criticises you over suit branding probably has a matching handbag.

ReputationRep:
    I would say, go for less in quantity, but of better quality, as you will be sure, that your clothes will remain the same after washing. That's why it is better to choose more expensive clothes. Actually, many designers and large online shops often make sales, so you would not spend a lot of money. For example, https://parisdress.com/best-deals/

ReputationRep:
    Does your work require a suit?

Given that I have to wear a suit, I have way too many "normal" clothes.

Regarding shirts with a suit, a few good ones, for occasions, but bog standard ones for everyday use are fine.

ReputationRep:

Neither.

I own very few items, and they are all cheap and nasty

ReputationRep:
    I always had few quite expensive things in my wardrobe like jeans or jacket but there were even more cheap clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Buy right and buy once, or buy cheap and repeatedly. The cost will amount to about the same. What's more important is what difference do you want to make in the world with the clothes you buy. Are you thinking about where your clothes are made? Are your purchases ethical? Do you care about the impact your consumerism of fast cheap clothes has on those who mak them?

ReputationRep:
    I used to buy most of my clothes from normal high street stores like Topshop, New Look, River Island etc. However, I did notice that either the clothes were inferior quality in terms of how they looked (compared to my more expensive clothing), and they wouldn't last as long.

Now I tend to shop at higher end places, not haute couture designers but places like FCUK, Reiss, LK Bennett, Hobbs etc, where the quality and style is way better. I don't mind dropping £200+ on a coat or dress because it will last many years. It's a one-off investment which becomes cost-effective. Also, I tend to purchase during sales.

As a guy better stores for you would be FCUK, Gant and the like. Or just pop into a House of Fraser.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

It may have been the style depending on what you wore the first time but i would tend to say that buying less, more premium items are best as is going for a smarter rather than casual look.

Reiss is a great store.

ReputationRep:
    expensive if gonna keep for longer like shoes or coats is good idea i think, but cheaper items if youre not gonna wear that often

ReputationRep:
    Buy your basic t-shirts and underwear cheaply - no one will see them anyway. Then you can splash the cash on some higher quality outerwear.

ReputationRep:
    its more about the outfit you put together and how good it looks. you can always buy some cheap things that look good not everything that is expensiveness looks amazing. but if you prefer the expensive stuff then buy it, there is no point in settling for less and buying the expensive stuff in the end after you have wasted the money on rubbish. just have an even balance perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you're confident in. I have cheap t-shirts, mid-range jeans and jumpers, expensive underwear, jackets and trainers.

ReputationRep:
    I buy less expensive clothes but I barely buy any clothes anyway. My mum always says she'd rather have something that's long lasting rather than something that will barely last a few months.
    So I do that as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.